S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Fault and code P1388

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:35 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Hedge has finally cured his problem by getting shot of the car. I would probably have done the same, perhaps a bit earlier -- I reckon I'm more financially hard-boiled.

There are lessons here for everyone fortunate enough to read these pages:--
1) Buy right in the first place. Meaning, be wary of what's hidden about the car. I feel with a second-hand car, there's a 60% chance there's a fault/problem lurking in there somewhere. Or problems, PLURAL. It could be anything from a dodgy gearbox to ridiculous insurance cost. Think about it -- Hedge has got shot of his problem car; so what's going to happen to it? Some seller somewhere is going to use it to make money by selling it to another unwary "victim", and so the cycle starts again, and on and on it goes.
2) Do your homework! Some keystrokes spelling out "Google" will tell you at least something about your choice -- and for free! And if it's a big dealer, do exactly the same, find out just who you are dealing with, how that dealer deals with complaints etc.
3) NEVER FALL IN LOVE WITH A CAR. It's a financial transaction pure and simple. That's how the world looks at it, that's how you should. If you reckon the car's really worth about half what the seller wants, you have it about right. That well-valeted gleaming car on the forecourt has likely been got from the car auctions at half the price on the windscreen.
4) IF you are proposing to buy a semi-exotic second-hand like a Jag., do you have reasonable experience at fixing up cars? Do you have plenty tackle for same? Do you have somewhere to do it like a garage? Is there a Jag. expert living next door? Do you have plenty spare cash for the parts? Are you computer-savvy enough to be reading this? (That was a gag!) If your answer to this one is "no", then buy a Ford. A Mondeo is just an X-type in workman's clothes.
Ok, I know all this sounds pedestrian, but the reason I say don't fall in love with a car is, "when poverty comes in the window, love flies out the door".
Leedsman.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I had the software upgrade/ flash done on my car by the dealership. Originally when I took it to them they saw the spliced wiring and aftermarket coils and gave me an estimate for $6000 for a wiring harness... I then found that TSB per this forum and asked them to try it. They did, and agreed that it helped, the check engine light went away and it seemed to run a bit smoother, but they said they could still tell there was a slight misfire (usually when cold), and recommended that I drive and monitor it. I picked up the car and it had a little trouble starting, took it home and the next day the battery was completely dead. So $180 for new battery they killed, and $200+ for the re-flash. Of course the error codes came back within days. I then said screw the dealer and took it to a recommended mechanic of european cars. I had him look it over, chage coils plugs, inspect the solenoid and wiring (see previous posts..). This seemed to help, the codes would go away, but always come back eventually, while the car seemed to drive ALMOST perfect with just a little bit of weird shifting into 3rd gear. After having him swap out almost all the parts I felt comfortable driving the car.... one code eventually went away...(im sure itll come back again tho) and a few months later (about 5,000 miles after buying my car) now it sits, most likely needing some engine work... (see previous post for decription of what happenend).
so i originally thought, maybe it is the software/ reflash, but that didnt work what so ever, and the car had been dealer maintained up until about a year before i got it. I'm guessing someone tried to do some shotty work on this car to save some money, and just enough to cover up any obvious problems, and then I bought it.

anything i should be checking right away? my mechanic said first step would be to hook up an oil pressure gauge to see about the loss of pressure.... (which i don;t have)

any oil supply/ iginition parts etc. I should be looking at while i'm taking apart the engine (atleast down to coils/ solenoids on both sides)??????