Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 1999 - 2008

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2012, 02:36 PM

Smile Hard start issue fixed w/ instructions

2001 JAGUAR S TYPE 4.0 V8. 99,500 miles

HELLO ALL TO ANYONE WHO HAS A HARD START PROBLEM the solution is a leaking FUEL INJECTOR.

What happened was everytime the car would sit for any peiod of time the fuel pressure would gradually go down, and fuel would leak causing it to flood.
The fuel would finally get burned off and go out the tail pipe, HENSE THE GAS SMELL. we tested the fuel pump, the filter, fuel pressure regualtor, all were good. So the only other option is a leaky fuel injector.

SURE enough undid the bolts holding the fuel rail on first bank, pulled it up with injectors still attached and pluggedin, turned the key to 3, and the #2 injector on first bank was leaking, dripping like a faucet. Replaced then went to the other side, where the throttle body is, taking this off is easy by the way, don't let a mechanic tell its hard, only 4 bolts holding it on, and a bracket for the wire harness under it.
All comes off easily, then unscrew bolts for fuel rail and easily remove fuel rail with fuel injectors still attached.

Turn ignition key to 3 then watch for drips. My #2 and#3 fuel injector were dripping like a faucet on this side as well.
Installed new injectorsand all is well again!

HOPETHIS HELPS ANYONE WITH THIS ISSUE.

2001 JAGUAR S TYPE 4.0 V8 99,500 miles

Last edited by JimC64; 08-17-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: block text - create line breaks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jag12284 For This Useful Post:
bfsgross (08-18-2012), Jumpin' Jag Flash (04-13-2013)
Old 08-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Photobucket

Thanked 4,585 Times in 2,181 Posts
Send a message via MSN to JimC64 Send a message via Skype™ to JimC64

Click the image to open in full size.

Great, thanks so much for sharing......I'm sure this will be helpful in the future

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool!!
A fine is a tax for doing wrong, A tax is a fine for doing well......

MY2008 (58) XJ X358 2.7 Tdvi Sovereign LWB remapped to 245bhp, Black, Ivory leather interior with black piping, 20" Alloys
MY2007 Audi A6 3.0 Tdi SE Quattro 176bhp Stratos Blue, Front & Rear park assist, Comms Pack High, Sline grille badge, 19" 7 twin spoke RS4 alloys, Rear tints, Dipped bulbs 80W, Mainbeams 100W, Foglights 100W, Number plate bulb LED's, Interior bulb LED's, First Aid Kit

LANG MAY YER LUM REEK

**********************Contact-Admin // Forum-Rules // New-member-Must-Read // Vendor-directory**********************

If you've been helped, please click on the "Thanks" button

Pinnacle_Wax_FREE_prize_draw

Old 08-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,160 Times in 1,080 Posts

Good stuff.

A way to check whether there may be any leaking is to attach a fuel pressure gauge, check for a good reading (with ignition on or after turning engine off) and then watch the gauge after ignition off. It should hold up for quite a while and only drop very slowly.

edit: my brain has finally prompted me that this is, I think, a "leak down" test

Your way is better, of course!
If you would like the most accurate assistance, it is very helpful to place your vehicle information into your signature line, just look in your member control panel to set it up. Info like year, model, engine size, and other details like mileage can only aid in receiving more replies with the correct information. (thanks, h20boy!)

Last edited by JagV8; 08-18-2012 at 09:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JagV8 For This Useful Post:
JimC64 (08-18-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Nice job jag122. Very helpful.
03 Silver STR: Mina Intake, "Mafioso" air intake tube, 3 lb. pulley, Magnaflow's 200 cell cats and Tru-X center muffler, Dynomax VT mufflers, H&R Sport lowering springs, Achebono ceramic pads, cross drilled/slotted front rotors. Next: ECU tune, return to CATS struts, port/polish Eaton or TS blower? Est. 460 chp @ nearly 500 lb/ft trq.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:48 AM

Would this trigger off the OBD2 P0442 EVAP small leak code? I've been having a hard time starting the car recently. Before it would take two cranks to start it, now it takes 3 cranks of the engine to start. I tried fuel injector cleaner, Techron, and have used other fuel injector cleaners in the past and it didn't seem to help. The engine runs fine after I had my spark plug gasket wells replaced where I did find lots of oil leaking before and would cause lags up hills.

Oh, I had my mechanic check for vacuum leaks, he performed smoke tests and found nothing before.

Last edited by harryf; 04-13-2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Fixed the P0442 code.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

A small leak can be hard to find but should be in the EVAP part(s) so nothing to do with injectors.

I take it you mean P0442. It's important to include the extra P0 and then everyone knows what you mean PLUS the forum Search will work.

Make sure to try Search but also to look at the proper codes PDF for your car, which is in the stickies and JTIS, as it gives all the known causes.
If you would like the most accurate assistance, it is very helpful to place your vehicle information into your signature line, just look in your member control panel to set it up. Info like year, model, engine size, and other details like mileage can only aid in receiving more replies with the correct information. (thanks, h20boy!)
Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Untitled

Good deal - thanks for sharing...

harryf - your issue sounds like a failing fuel pump...

2004 Jaguar XJ8 - 120K miles
1995 Pontiac Trans Am - 68K miles

Check out the Northeast US Regional Page here: http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/no...t-nj-ny-pa-35/
Old 04-13-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abonano View Post
Good deal - thanks for sharing...

harryf - your issue sounds like a failing fuel pump...
Would the failing fuel pump make any difference if the car will start up quickly if is warm and only stopped for about 15 minutes or so? The car starts up right away if I only stop to get gas or go do a short shopping run or stop by and pick someone up (5 minutes).

The readings on the Fuel pressure is around 51.8 psi when you first turn the ignition switch to the on, when it starts it drops down to around 38-39 psi. When you turn the car off then keep the key in the on position, the fuel pressure drops from 51 down about 0.4 psi's every 5 seconds or so. till it gets to around 38 psi. I think. I originally thought it was the Fuel pump, but when you turn the ignition switch to on the pressure seems to go up to 51-52 quickly, though it is still hard to start when cold. The issue described by Jag12284 sounds like my problem. I pulled the driver side fuel injectors out to check, but didn't see any leaking. The passenger side injectors will have to be a longer job as there a lot of other hoses and stuff above it just to get access to the injector banks.

Last edited by harryf; 04-13-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Untitled

51 lbs of fuel pressure sounds good. I'm somewhat concerned about the pressure drop after turning the car off and keep the key in the on position. I thought fuel pressure should be constant after the fuel pump "primes" the fuel system.

This could still be indicitive of the fuel pump or transfer pump not maintaining pressure or possibly a fuel leak somewhere.

Could indeed be a leaking fuel injector though.

I hope you find out the cause quickly. Thanks

2004 Jaguar XJ8 - 120K miles
1995 Pontiac Trans Am - 68K miles

Check out the Northeast US Regional Page here: http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/no...t-nj-ny-pa-35/
Old 05-16-2013, 10:30 AM

Changed out the fuel injectors but still have the hard start issue. My mechanic thinks it may be a bad fuel regulator. Will let you know after he's checked it out more. If the car hasn't been sitting too long (over 45 minutes) then it starts right away. If the car has been sitting over that time frame it's hard to start. If it is cold overnight the car seems to start right away.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

The fuel pressure regulator is monitored by the PCM and should set a code if it's not working right. Your fuel pressures seem to be OK.

It's much cheaper to get the existing injectors flow balanced and checked. One place I found is only $18/injector. Then you know they are working properly.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

It's a sensor, rather than a mechanical-only thing, readable via OBD so you can see if it's within expected values. Though it throws codes if not LOL
Old 05-21-2013, 12:01 PM

Sorry for hijacking this thread for my selfish needs.
So after replacing all injectors, the car is still hard to start except when it's been on for a while and warm. (after 1 hour of sitting the car becomes hard to start again).
There is now a heavy smell of gasoline from the vents.
I get a P0442 code again after I cleared it a couple of weeks ago.
When the car is started, I now get a high pitch whistling sound. It seems if I move some cables or the coolant line which connects to the overflow tank, the car runs rough but then goes away after a few minutes. I'm thinking it has something to do with the fuel regulator or the vacuum line. It's at the mechanic currently trying to find out where the vacuum leak may be.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:01 PM

Tags
02, 2000, 2006, 30, 38, ford, fuel, hard, injectors, jaguar, leaky, solution, start, starting, stype, type