Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 1999 - 2008

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2011, 03:06 AM
PulpFiction

Default jag won't start!!!!!

I have a 2001 jaguar s type 4.0L that I bought about 2 months ago. The car was working fine but a little sluggish and the codes were for 3 coils, I think it was for 2,5,and 7. I got to change 2 and 7 and was about to buy the coil for 7 when the car didn't want to start. A couple days later the battery died so I put a new battery and still didn't want to start. There was a crank like it wanted to but just didn't turn over. Then on about the fifth try a heard a backfire. A little smoke came out the right exhaust. Since then, I haven't had time to take it to a mechanic for diagnoses. This is my first jaguar, Can anyone help me with this problem?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:25 AM

Lucas Schultz SchultzLD

You really need to post the codes on here. You'll get better help. Some of the Members on here are VERY knowlegable about these cars. But so far it could be so many different things.
1986 Harley Davidson Liberty (Custom Everything)
Old 11-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,276 Posts

I'd fix the things you're fairly sure are wrong and also check for oil/water/etc in plug wells. Be sure you know the right cyl numbering (see prev posts, JTIS, FAQs).

But also look up
bore wash
and be very aware of it

The codes are only of use to say which cyls unless you have other codes too.

Check your PATS light is doing what it should (again prev posts, JTIS etc).

If your fuel filter's old, change it.
If you would like the most accurate assistance, it is very helpful to place your vehicle information into your signature line, just look in your member control panel to set it up. Info like year, model, engine size, and other details like mileage can only aid in receiving more replies with the correct information. (thanks, h20boy!)
Old 11-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Double check some grounds! Usually when a car is backfiring then that may indicate a ground issue.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Tags
08, 2001, 2004, 40, backfire, battery, crank, dont, jag, jaguar, start, stype, turns, type, wont