Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 1999 - 2008

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2011, 04:08 PM

Default left brake / tail light failure

The dash info indicated a left brake light failure so I replaced the bulb. When I turned on the ignition and pushed the brake peddle the "failure" warning went away. I pushed on the brake a second time and the brake light failure reappeared, then tail light faulure appeared. I thought it may be the new bulb so I put in another one. Same thing happened. Now I notice if I leave the tail lights off I have no left rear brake light but the brake light failure warning does not come on. If I turn on the tail lights I get the tail light warning as well as the brake light warning. Now what??????????/
Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 PM

Check the fusebox in the trunk. I think I recall that there are 2 fuses in there which control the tail lights and brakelights (module). Also check the ground on the taillight module which is on the trunk on the fender well. Pull out the carpet and you'll find it.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to phd12volt

may be the contacts also, or the wrong bulb.

2003 Jag STR "SOLD"
2010 VW MK6 GTI w/DSG "Black"
Old 08-05-2011, 02:19 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to VojtasNY

I had the same confusing problem with my tail brake light...i i tried fix with the regular same bulb and it didnt worked...but i gived one more shot and i bought original german bulb and the problem was resolved...brake light works and no more warnings hopefully this will help....
The Following User Says Thank You to VojtasNY For This Useful Post:
SickSType (07-26-2014)
Old 08-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Good points listed above. Please post what bulb you are installing. Jaguar uses different bulbs that most cars and you can force the incorrect bulb in the socket. I had weird problems with a front turn signal light until I checked it and finally installed the correct bulb.
So check your owner’s manual!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 AM

Default rear light problems

My left rear tail lights, the small bulb and the lower element of the dual tail/brake light bulb, work. When I brake the small bulb goes dimmer and the lower element of the big bulb goes completely out but the bright element of the dual bulb (the brake element) does not light up. If I turn on my rear fog lights both left rear tail light bulbs go out and the left rear fog light does not light up. If I brake while the rear fogs are on the right rear fog gets dim and the left rear fog barely glows. If I remove either left or right rear fog light bulbs while the fogs are on or off the right rear brake and tail lights work but the left rear tail lights will not come on. I have exchanged brake/tail light bulbs from left and right so its not the bulb. I have checked the ground and it is ok as it grounds left and right. Help!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to phd12volt

did you physically look at the connector?? does it look brown where the bulb plugs in?? i have seen this before and you may need to clean and or replace the original connectors.

2003 Jag STR "SOLD"
2010 VW MK6 GTI w/DSG "Black"
Old 07-25-2014, 06:02 PM

how was this resolved Don R?
Old 07-26-2014, 02:44 PM

Look very closely and compare the original bulb with the replacement bulb. Especially the two short stubby prongs on the metal part of the bulb that twist into position in the bulb holder. They have to be exact position as the original. My brake light went out and I was given the wrong bulb that also burned brighter than the other tail light. It was a higher voltage, as well as the prongs being out of position by just a little. Look at both bulbs from the bottom and notice where the prongs are located, as if they are the hands on a clock. Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:44 PM

Tags
brake, change, failed, failure, jaguar, lamp, lamps, left, light, rear, signal, stype, tail, type, warning