S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type, no supercharger, but twin-turbo. Has it been done?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-Type, no supercharger, but twin-turbo. Has it been done?

Hello,

I am new to the forums, so I would first like to offer my greetings.

Now, down to business....

I am considering buying a 2006 S-Type. I would like to know if anyone has attempted a twin-turbo installation to the V8 engine instead of getting the supercharged S-Type R. I understand that this would probably cost more money, but I can't help but wonder if it would be possible to extract more horsepower from the engine if turbos were used instead. They are also more efficient, and are not prone to belt slippage, combined with the fact that they do not have that high-pitched scream when the supercharger is really opening up. (I just want to mention that the scream is just what I have heard on most YouTube videos, so it is what I will assume until I am told / shown otherwise)

If anyone has tried this, or knows if it has been done, let me know if it was actually successful.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't think anyone has done it and the v8 internals probably cant handle boost like the s type r since it has forged internals.stype r is really good bang for the buck and if it isin"t enough power slap on a kenne bell supercharger and if you dont like the s/c whine get a Whipple but that would take custom modifying.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

If you mean on the V8 my feeling is that you'd need utterly new PCM programming so it's next-to-impossible. (The diesel already has 2 turbos of course.)

I also doubt there's room.

The SC is very quiet inside the car and only whines briefly as by then you're going well past the legal speed limit....

Old 09-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Your best bet would be to get an older STR and go with a rear mounted twin or single turbo setup.. a single would be more that enough. I have one on my Duster and it will support well over 750hp. The best part is you can use your stock exhaust manifolds and don't have to have custom turbo manifolds made. There is also very little space to work with in these engine bays.

You would just have to remove the supercharger and the inlet pipe going over the top of the supercharger and fabricate a block-off plate to cover the hole. The water to air intercooler and heat exchanger setup could actually be reused if they were modified. The charge pipe would go straight into the throttle body after exiting the intercoolers.

The stock block can easily handle 15 psi. For that you could either used a single Master Power T70 or a GT45 probably about an .68 A/R on the exhaust. Or you could use twin GT28's. The only advantage is the twins will spool a lot quicker, but in all honesty I don't think the transmission could handle it. I cooked my tranny with only very minor mods. You'll also have a harder time getting 4 pipes back and forth down the car.

The most important think is going to be boost control. One bad spike and you'll nuke you engine. You need twin 38mm or a single 50mm wastegate. The stock fuel system can probably support 500hp at the crank then you'll have to upgrade that. Then after you do that you'll need better differential to get the power to the ground.

I would say your looking at about a $3,500 investment for a single rear mount with custom pieces and all. If you go with twins your looking at about $5,000. Your horsepower, depending on how far you want to push it, would be about 450rwhp (accounting for drivetrain loss) at 15psi of boost, well up to 600hp. At that point the motor would need SERIOUS modifications to handle the power.

Hardest part is going to be if someone can map your ECU for this type of setup. I would say the difficulty of this install would be moderate, just a few tight spaces. Would be really bad*ss though and would definitely get you in a magazine or two.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I speak from experience when I tell you it can't be done. I had a twin turbo set up on my V6. The room was there. Hot and cold pipes hooked up, you do not know the amount of codes thrown by that set up. I tried tuning the car in three shops with no love. Then we had to install a piggy back system by AEM, no luck even if piggybacked the ECU will not open WOT because of the Drive by Wire function. The only company that can mock up a system for the V6 drive by wire is in Australia and you would have to send ECu and throttle body and shell out 10k just for that. So do what I did cut your loses sell your V6 and get and S-type R.