Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinhole Coolant Leak...help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pinhole Coolant Leak...help!

Hey Gang,
I have a small leak in the cooling system that I just located today via pressure testing. It's from a plastic housing behind the t/stat housing that the t/stat housing actually bolts to. I'm looking for the proper name of this housing, the part itself, a metal replacement kit, a good way to repair the leaking plastic, or any safe and effective sealers. I'm attaching two photos and please use the yellow dot as a reference. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Pinhole Coolant Leak...help!-pic-071.jpg   Pinhole Coolant Leak...help!-pic-070.jpg  
Old 12-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Thermostat housing

The Thermostat housing assemebly will need to be replaced. This part is a two piece part. But don't seperate the part, if you're replacing it. When and if you get the part, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:05 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Having some experience repairing broken/damaged plastic parts in video recorders, basically the best repair is with epoxy resin. You need to be sure everything associated with the repair is clean and well abraided to make the resin stick. If you have a pinhole in a plastic part, make sure there is excess resin above and below the hole. Allow a full 24 hours for the resin to set and keep it warm for the duration. As the pressure when in service is not all that high, I can't see any reason for not giving it a try to save money, but do examine the part carefully for any other unsuspected damage that needs fixing. And of course, full testing when reassembled to be absolutely sure it's working properly.
Leedsman.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

You will need to replace the part. Do not attempt any repair. The plastic has degraded from time and temperature. Any leak you fix now will only last until the next weakest part gives way. A number of people have had these parts leak in various places. When they take things apart it's very common for the plastic to crumble or break further. Look around the part that is leaking and see if any other plastic piece needs to be removed for the repair. Those other plastic pieces might also break when removed. For this same reason used plastic parts would be too big of a gamble. Get new parts from Jaguar.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:16 AM
tdc
Received 63 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with tbird6.. You should just replace the part..

Actually the upgraded one is now in Aluminum.. Here’s a link to one I found last night on Ebay for under $50.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200-02-JAGUAR-S-TYPE-ALUMINUM-THERMOSTAT-HOUSING-KIT-V8-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ160510689362QQptZMotorsQ5f CarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Hope that helps?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree replacement is best. Though using epoxy resin will get you going until you get around to fixing it. Nowadays there are adhesives/fillers that work wonders.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Your plastic likely has the consistancy of dried oatmeal.
Yes, Jag will sell you a MUCH greater assembly than you will appear to need, but I didn't find any alternative, at least for the 3.0l

Old 12-08-2010, 10:39 AM
tdc
Received 63 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 12-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the follow up. I adjusted my signature to include the engine details. I'm hot on the trail of a new one thanks to everyone's input. The Ebay assembly is for 2000~2002, mine's a 2003 4.2 and my t/stat comes out at a right angle from the t/stat housing. The Rock Auto ones show the hose outlet coming straight out so I have Rock Auto talking to URO parts to see of the photo's are accurate or generic. I did locate an assembly through JAGBITS for $99.00 but not sure if it's an aluminum update or oem. Thanks again all and I'll keep you all posted on the outcome.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Thanks for bringing this up!! I did not know about the improved aftermarket Aluminum pieces. This is a superior repair and if I have this problem will go aftermarket and NOT Jaguar.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Default Update

Here's the only site I found so far that has exactly what I'm looking for. Just look at this contraption...YIKES! http://www.britishparts.co.uk/.sc/ms...-%20THERMOSTAT They do have a reasonable price though and I'm waiting for a response on shipping costs. More updates as they roll in.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Default Follow Up

Okay, I purchased the par from here http://www.britishparts.co.uk and they were fast and reliable. I ordered it Monday evening and received it to North Carolina on Friday afternoon.....same week! and the price was cheaper than anyone here in the States without shipping. It came to about $80.00 w/shipping. I didn't install it yet because I decided to get a new serpentine belt w/idle pulley and bearing, why not since I'm there. I purchased a JTIS CD (repair manual) from Advance Auto Part here in town and it's time to dig in and see how to open this S.O.B.......not as easy as one might imagine. I have Windows XP so if anyone has a complete, easy to understand, step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this feat, please let me know. BTW- I'll be sharing this repair with you all as I go through the procedure, be patient, I'm getting there. Oh Yeah, I did read the "Read Me" as stated in the CD and I get to chase my tail because it says I must close a file that ADO is running in and it does not exist. Thanks for any help.

Attached Thumbnails Pinhole Coolant Leak...help!-jtis-ii.jpg  
Old 12-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

you need intake gaskets too since youll have to remove the intake to replace the housing. DO NOT try to reuse the intake gaskets, theyre stamped metal and will leak vacuum.
these thermostat housing parts ARE NOT YET avail in metal. that earlier link is to the 4.0 not the 4.2

Old 12-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobbler
Okay, I purchased the par from here http://www.britishparts.co.uk and they were fast and reliable. I ordered it Monday evening and received it to North Carolina on Friday afternoon.....same week! and the price was cheaper than anyone here in the States without shipping. It came to about $80.00 w/shipping. I didn't install it yet because I decided to get a new serpentine belt w/idle pulley and bearing, why not since I'm there. I purchased a JTIS CD (repair manual) from Advance Auto Part here in town and it's time to dig in and see how to open this S.O.B.......not as easy as one might imagine. I have Windows XP so if anyone has a complete, easy to understand, step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this feat, please let me know. BTW- I'll be sharing this repair with you all as I go through the procedure, be patient, I'm getting there. Oh Yeah, I did read the "Read Me" as stated in the CD and I get to chase my tail because it says I must close a file that ADO is running in and it does not exist. Thanks for any help.
Advance auto sells copies of JTIS??

Old 12-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
Advance auto sells copies of JTIS??
That's where I bought it from. I'm thinking of taking it back to try another.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Default Link

Originally Posted by Brutal
you need intake gaskets too since youll have to remove the intake to replace the housing. DO NOT try to reuse the intake gaskets, theyre stamped metal and will leak vacuum.
these thermostat housing parts ARE NOT YET avail in metal. that earlier link is to the 4.0 not the 4.2
Yeah, I did some exhaustive research on this part and came to that conclusion. Thanks for the tip. I'll find some gaskets for now Brutal. Once I have the gaskets, will it be pretty cut and dry from there? The way the JTIS is going, I'll probably get the gaskets before the JTIS CD gets loaded. Thanks for your help. Just in case I don't get the JTIS working, what is the torque specs for the intake?

Old 01-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Update?

Hey Cobbler... do you have an update on installing your thermostat housing & pipe assembly? I just had the exact same thing happen to mine and am debating on letting the dealer do it or doing it myself. Would love to hear how it went when you have a moment. Thanks in advance,

Bob

Old 01-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Default Update

I'm so sorry Bob but I don't. You see I bought a JTIS CD (service Manual) from Advance auto Parts and I cannot get it to open in spite if all my efforts. I'm waiting to hear back from him any time now with regards to it being a bum CD. Then a member wrote me and said I need intake gaskets to accomplish this task, more back up time. Then I said what the heck, I may as well replace the serpentine belt and idle pulley while I'm there so here I am holding my......whatever while all the stars line up. I don't have a garage so I have to work on it at work which is a automotive technical school, big plus there, but I can't have it tying up a stall, in case something goes wrong. The biggest hold-up is the Manual because I don't want to dig into it until I have that. I really don't think it's going to be a big deal though, always think positive. Sorry again.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

No worries at all, I totally understand.

I had some issues getting my JTIS CD to work on XP... I can't remember exactly what I did to get it working, but it wasn't intuitive.

I'm gonna have the dealer do it as I just don't have the time this week... best of luck on your fixes!

Bob

Old 01-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Default Update

[quote=Bob Smith;288280]No worries at all, I totally understand.

I had some issues getting my JTIS CD to work on XP... I can't remember exactly what I did to get it working, but it wasn't intuitive.

I'm gonna have the dealer do it as I just don't have the time this week... best of luck on your fixes!

Same to you Bob, thanks

Quick Reply: Pinhole Coolant Leak...help!