S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming Keys (transponders) and Fobs (transmitters) in the S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrumpot
All this talk about reflashes and fault-code clearings, and all the fancy (and quite frankly - maybe even just a little intimidating too) methodologies to accomplish it...

Maybe I'm just a simpleton, but... Other than for the need to re-program new key-fobs, or other "specialty purposes" - what is the difference in ECM "clearing" via all this - and something else I just recently read elsewhere as being a "hard re-set" of the ECM rather easily (and absolutely FREE) accomplished by disconnecting the battery, and holding the disconnected cable-ends together for 30 sec?
The hard reset thing is basically a 'reboot' of the vehicle systems. Sometimes a multiplexed system gets spiked or otherwise stops 'thinking' correctly. The reset lets the modules take a breath and start fresh, so to speak.

Some models have ECM's or TCM's that are adaptive, meaning they learn and adapt as they operate. Sometimes they 'learn' some bad things and don't operate exactly as we would like. In that case, these 'adaptions' can be cleared, or zeroed out to start over. That's referred to as clearing adaptions. All this business varies form model to model.

Then there are fault codes stored when systems detect faults. Once a repair is made, the codes have to be cleared so the system is prepared to start checking anew for any further faults that might arise.

Hope that helps!

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (06-25-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2003 S-Type, as did the OP. I need to program a new key fob that I bought off eBay. I am thinking about buying the Chinese JLR, which is now $80. However, their web site says that it only works for 2005 and newer Jaguars. Is this Mongoose JLR - Jaguar & Land Rover Dealer Level Diagnostics & Programming the same one that has been used successfully? I was quoted $65 to have it programmed by a local Jag repair place, so it really only makes sense to buy it if I can use it for other things, or if I can sell it after using it the one time. Alternatively, if anyone in San Diego has one that they would let me use, I would pay them something.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:32 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by heima
I bought my S-Type with only one key. And it has made me anxious each time I misplaced it. I needed another key, but the dealer cost was astronomical.
$50 for switchblade key, $180 for fob, $120 for programming. Ouch! $350 for a freaking key?

After some research, I found that the best price for the switch blade was from the dealer, as the dealer would cut any switchblade for $20. The cheapest I could find a switchblade on Ebay was $30. The dealer sold the switchblade with free cutting for $50, so it was a wash. And if the dealer blew the cut, a new blank was out of their pocket. The fob was $27 on Ebay (remotez4less) and an actual Jaguar part. So I had both key and fob, now for the programming.

While waiting for the tool to arrive, I downloaded all types of software, I also subscribed to several sites for as much information I could get.

The tool arrived yesterday and as fate would have it, the software included with the tool was corrupt. So I installed the V131 software and searched for credentials. I found them, authenticated the software, and started exploring the innards of the S-Type.

The tool and IDS has reported that there are several outstanding DTCs, one of note is with the intrusion module. That is, if my s-type actually has an intrusion module.

Anyway, getting back on topic, in the cryptic menus for IDS is a tab for doing the fun stuff, programming and configuring modules. Under the security tab is the ability to add a transponder (key), configure new transponders, and configure new transmitters (fobs).

When I tried to add a key, there was a problem that 3 keys and 2 fobs were programmed. Because of the mis-match, it would not program any more keys.

So, taking a chance, I selected to configure new transponders. I was kind of nervous erasing the functional key, but after the process was done, both keys now started the car!

Next was configuring new fobs, and similar to the keys, the working fob was erased, and both fobs were programmed and functional! Yes!

So, I saved $20 over going to the dealer for programming, but in the process, I learned a lot, and got myself a pretty cool tool for exploring the Jag.

Can you tell I am as happy as a clam right now?
Hi heima, I also only got one key with my latest 2003 S-type so want to do tha same as you.

I bought a Mongoose cable from uobd2 but the software didn't load so could you please:

1. tell me in more detail how you got yours to work;

2. what computer platform you use - Windows 7; XP etc;

3. When programming the keys, did you need to input codes for the keys or fobs, or was it a matter of just pressing fob buttons so the cars systems recognise them??

Cheers
Dave

Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

I believe that there is another solution. The '08 S-Type I just bought came with three keys two of which are switch-blade style. The third one, however, is a good old fashioned car key, no fob just the key part with a green plastic "head" marked Valet. I'm using that one since it fits better on a common keyring I use with a house key and a "normal" key for another car.

I'm "old-school" and always used the door lock to open the car anyways. But that's ok since everything seems to work fine when I use that key, including being able to open the trunk with the button on the dash, but I haven't tried locking the glovebox and seeing if the Valet key would open it.

I didn't realize that sort of key was available for our cars. I didn't have one for the X-Type I owned previously so never thought to ask about one at the dealer.

But if you believe that you could live fine without the switch-blade key with the fob, the Valet key might be economic alternative since it has no battery and it's programing seems like it would be less.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar