S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doors wont lock with key or fob (manually or remote)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doors wont lock with key or fob (manually or remote)

Hello all,

Essentially, my car WILL NOT lock using my key fob remotely or manually when I enter the key into the exterior of the driver side door.

I did some experimenting and my key fob WILL:
-Remotely unlock doors
-Remotely unlock my trunk

My key WILL:
-Manually open my trunk
-Turn on my car

My car will lock if I am inside of it and I lock it manually.

After doing a search I wonder if anyone has experienced the same thing I am currently going through. I have found many threads of folks having the key fob issue but none that I read also have the person unable to lock the doors manually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I havent been able to lock my doors in a month :/

Last edited by Norri; 09-01-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:03 PM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

goldenstitch,

Although you don't mention it, I presume this is your 2004 S-Type and have therefore moved your question from General Tech Help to S-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
goldenstitch (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

So how are you getting in to it? You say it won't unlock the driver door with fob or key.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
So how are you getting in to it? You say it won't unlock the driver door with fob or key.
Currently I leave my door unlocked at all times.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
goldenstitch,

Although you don't mention it, I presume this is your 2004 S-Type and have therefore moved your question from General Tech Help to S-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham
Thank you for clarification. I thought that general tech would be a good place as it has more to do with locks and fobs rather than the car itself. I have followed your link and submitted my intro.

You are correct in stating this is for my 2004 Jaguar S Type 4.2L

Old 09-01-2016, 03:34 AM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

Originally Posted by goldenstitch
Essentially, my car WILL NOT unlock using my key fob remotely or manually when I enter the key into the exterior of the driver side door. ......
I'm confused - should this line read LOCK and not UNLOCK?

Graham

Old 09-01-2016, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

That no#1 post and heading together are a mind bender.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
I'm confused - should this line read LOCK and not UNLOCK?

Graham
Title was correct and post was the typo.
Thanks for catching that!

Therefore, it should say the car will not lock. \

Now...how does one edit their own post...

Old 09-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Therefore, it should say the car will not lock. \

Now...how does one edit their own post...
All done!

Old 09-01-2016, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Well then, now that is cleared up.....

OP, you have a faulty lock actuator, seems to be a common failure on these S Types. Quite a few threads about R&R, some even have pretty color pictures with explanations .

Old 09-01-2016, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Well then, now that is cleared up.....

OP, you have a faulty lock actuator, seems to be a common failure on these S Types. Quite a few threads about R&R, some even have pretty color pictures with explanations .
Few questions Joycesjag:
1)What is R&R? (I assume it is not rest & relaxation)
2)If it was the actuator, then shouldn't it not lock at all? Right now I can lock it from the inside but no other way.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

1)What is R&R? (I assume it is not rest & relaxation)
2)If it was the actuator, then shouldn't it not lock at all? Right now I can lock it from the inside but no other way.
1) Ha ha, R&R Rest&Relaxation...No, Replace&Repair.
2) How are you locking from inside the vehicle? All 4 doors or 1 at a time manually or with dash power lock button? Are all doors locking, have you walked around and tried each door from the exterior?

Old 09-02-2016, 01:01 PM

1) Ha ha, R&R Rest&Relaxation...No, Replace&Repair.
2) How are you locking from inside the vehicle? All 4 doors or 1 at a time manually or with dash power lock button? Are all doors locking, have you walked around and tried each door from the exterior?
I am locking the car once I am inside the vehicle. I guess it is the "normal way" by pushing the lock trigger on the driver's side door

Last edited by goldenstitch; 09-02-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

That's what I thought.

Sitting inside, all doors closed. Push the central power lock button. Watch listen to all manual chrome locks (again inside). One of them will lock or act as if it locked then automatically unlock itself. That my friend will be the lock actuator that needs to be Replaced & Repaired.

Cross your fingers that it is one of the front actuators!

Copy and paste in address bar:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s-type-s-type-r-supercharged-v8-x200-15/rear-door-lock-actuator-fix-w-pics-faq-65657/

Last edited by joycesjag; 09-02-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:01 PM

That's what I thought.

Sitting inside, all doors closed. Push the central power lock button. Watch listen to all manual chrome locks (again inside). One of them will lock or act as if it locked then automatically unlock itself. That my friend will be the lock actuator that needs to be Replaced & Repaired.

Cross your fingers that it is one of the front actuators!

Copy and paste in address bar:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-65657/
So, I locked myself inside my car using the main power lock on the drivers side and none of them unlocked themselves. Then I lowered the windows, escaped the car, locked my doors, waited....waited....waited....then went to each door and all of them were still locked.

I also tried the key in the driver's side door one more time and...nothing. It neither allows me to lock or unlock the door.

Does this still support the actuator theory?

Old 09-05-2016, 01:49 AM

Update: I locked my doors (opened my window and locked it using the drivers side lock) and all doors remained locked throughout the night.

I dont know if this helps at all but thought it could provide more info

Old 09-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

So, I locked myself inside my car using the main power lock on the drivers side and none of them unlocked themselves. Then I lowered the windows, escaped the car, locked my doors, waited....waited....waited....then went to each door and all of them were still locked.
So this kinda reads like you crawled out a window....but I'm guessing your driver's door unlocks when you pull the handle? (if so, does it unlock the rest of the doors at the same time?) And you stepped out properly then reached in and locked the car via the driver's door-mounted lock-button?

I also tried the key in the driver's side door one more time and...nothing. It neither allows me to lock or unlock the door.
Does your key insert fully into the lock and turn nearly 1/4 turn?
I suspect your inability to lock/unlock the door with your key is unrelated to your other issue. If you don't use it regularly, the lock will seize and become inoperative via the key. "Regularly" as used herein is defined in very "Clintonesque" fashion: For my 2003, it means every 2 or 3 months. For my 2005, it means stand at the door and work the lock.....because if you walk away for as little as 15 min or so, it will seize again. I use liquid Teflon to free it up.

I don't plan to study the wire-diagrams closely enough until this problem presents itself in one of mine....but you may want to research whether a broken wire in the driver-door-to-cabin harness could cause this problem?

As a workaround...rather than leaving it unsecured, can you not lock it with the drivers' door button with the door open as you step out, then unlock with the FOB?

Old 09-05-2016, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
So this kinda reads like you crawled out a window....but I'm guessing your driver's door unlocks when you pull the handle? (if so, does it unlock the rest of the doors at the same time?) And you stepped out properly then reached in and locked the car via the driver's door-mounted lock-button?
The way I have been locking my door for these experiments is to bring my window down, get out of my car, then lock it from the interior through the now opened window. When I do lock my car, all 4 doors lock simultaneously.

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Does your key insert fully into the lock and turn nearly 1/4 turn?
I suspect your inability to lock/unlock the door with your key is unrelated to your other issue. If you don't use it regularly, the lock will seize and become inoperative via the key. "Regularly" as used herein is defined in very "Clintonesque" fashion: For my 2003, it means every 2 or 3 months. For my 2005, it means stand at the door and work the lock.....because if you walk away for as little as 15 min or so, it will seize again. I use liquid Teflon to free it up.

I don't plan to study the wire-diagrams closely enough until this problem presents itself in one of mine....but you may want to research whether a broken wire in the driver-door-to-cabin harness could cause this problem?

As a workaround...rather than leaving it unsecured, can you not lock it with the drivers' door button with the door open as you step out, then unlock with the FOB?
Right now, the key enters the lock fully but does not allow me to turn in any direction. I feel like if I put more pressure on it, it might snap my key. If it is seized, do you think some WD-40 might do the trick?

Unfortunately, the workaround will not work for me. If I lock the door using the interior lock while the door is open, it will unlock all my doors immediately afterwards. This is why I need to lower my window for my experiments. I believe this is a safety mechanism so that you do not leave your keys in your car.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:03 PM

Small Update: I sprayed some WD-40 into the lock (where the key goes into) and....NOTHING. :'(

Old 09-06-2016, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

Small Update: I sprayed some WD-40 into the lock (where the key goes into) and....NOTHING. :'(
I would try a penetrating oil (PB Blaster) rather than a Water Displacement spray. Just sayin'

Quick Reply: Doors wont lock with key or fob (manually or remote)