Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 1999 - 2008

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2010, 05:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to harounq21
Default Removing 2001 s-type battery

Hey guys, after not starting my 2001 for a good week, I found my car battery dead. Or so I think so. All I was getting was a clicking sound, and all the gauges do a sweep from left to right when I turn the ignition. I tried to jump start it, only to find that I don't have a proper ground. (Supposedly I can't put the negative jumper clamp on the negative terminal according to the manual). So after much debate and failure to get the car started, I try to jump it the normal way putting the negative clamp on the terminal just to get this car started. No success. So I decided, why not remove the battery and have it checked at a local auto store.... I disconnect the negative, positive, and the bar support over the battery, yet the battery doesn't want to come out. I realized there is yet another rod on the side of the battery I have to unscrew. I tried to unscrew it, but I just couldn't get it undone. Can someone tell me how to remove this battery? Also inspecting the battery and the underside of the car, it seems every thing is bolted straight down into the underside of the car.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Photobucket

Thanked 1,160 Times in 837 Posts

I don't have very many problems with corroded bolts living here in North Texas but batteries corrode everything near them. Soak the area in penetrating oil including the protuding threads under the battery.

bob gauff

2001 XJ8 Mistral
1999 XJ8L Topaz
1997 XJ6L Black (Currently FOR SALE)
1985 XJ6 Belgian Import (Gray Market project car)
1985 XJ6 (Parts Car)
1983 XJ6 (Parts Car)
1992 Sovereign (sold)
2001 S-Type 4.0 (sold)
1997 XJ6L White (sold)
1972 XJ6 (sold)
1966 'E'Type (first Jaguar) (sold)
Old 10-01-2010, 03:09 AM

my s-type battery is in the boot near the spare i'm surprised that you are having trouble removing it as it is a pretty clean area, be careful that when replacing that it is of similar or same profile as there is little clearance between the battery and the floor that covers it.

the only indication I had that our battery was getting on as that the computer driven equipment went crazy, lights came on blinkers did weird things, thought the car was nuts, rang the dealer and he said lower than expected voltage, rather than cranking amps will do it every time, i.e one cellis marginal and all other cells are ok.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Dicky View Post
my s-type battery is in the boot near the spare i'm surprised that you are having trouble removing it as it is a pretty clean area
The retaining bolts protrude out of the trunk floor and side. In wet/salty places they rust badly.
If you would like the most accurate assistance, it is very helpful to place your vehicle information into your signature line, just look in your member control panel to set it up. Info like year, model, engine size, and other details like mileage can only aid in receiving more replies with the correct information. (thanks, h20boy!)
Old 10-02-2010, 01:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to harounq21

ok I got the battery out. Its an 01 so all the screws and nuts were rusted out under the car. I called up my local Jag dealership for battery prices. They said no matter make or model jag, its gonna 150 plus tax. The battery is authentic with a 5 year warranty. I wonder what other choices I may have. I did visit the local pepboys, which is offering a BOSCH battery for 100 with a 3 year warranty. Choices choices. Anyone know what I should do?
Old 10-02-2010, 03:16 PM

The zone. Between 140 to 150 cannot go cheap here. Duralast. Specific for the car.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:20 PM

My father also would take a 1 1/2 inch square heavy type felt cloth and cut a hole in it to fit over the terminals and soak them in some type of penetrating oil and then put the plus and minus connectors over them to the battery terminals. Never had corrosion issues.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,269 Posts

It's not the terminals that corrode. It's the retaining bolts that protrude under the car and then get splashed with rain, salt, etc.
If you would like the most accurate assistance, it is very helpful to place your vehicle information into your signature line, just look in your member control panel to set it up. Info like year, model, engine size, and other details like mileage can only aid in receiving more replies with the correct information. (thanks, h20boy!)
Old 10-03-2010, 09:11 PM

You are correct. I think it was more for the screw and bolt that hold the connectors in place. Over time they would get corroded and this I think would prevent it. I also remember pouring coke or Pepsi on the corroded parts and it would clean them right up.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:11 PM

Tags
2000, 2001, battery, car, jag, jaguar, jump, lincoln, removal, remove, removing, replace, rod, show, start, town, type