S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type R rear suspension bushings gone

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

Exactly which bushings are you talking about? I've only rarely replaced any bushings in the rear of a STR much less all of them. Select Edition doesn't cover any rubber parts like bushings , hoses, belts, tires. Are you sure you're not seeing some flaking looking crap left over from the mold release compound?

Old 02-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He might be talking about the rear sway bar link boots and rear toe control boots which tend to tear.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Normal, your car is now 6 yrs old and 2 things wearout or cause failure of parts. Mileage both alot and not enough of which youre putting an avg of only 5800 /yr, would you expect your tires to look as good after 6 yrs? Nope, rubber deteriorates with age, and the coumpounds in rubber actually lube themselves as they are used. Which is why tires just sitting with always look worse than ones being used, your bushings are the same. The good news, its only a rubber boot covering a spherical metal joint or bearing, ie it may not ever get any play for years to come

Old 07-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Toe Control Bar

I have the same problem that wfocz has. Does anyone know where I can order the rear toe control bars or the part numbers for them? I found the sway bar links, but I can't seem to find the toe control bars for a 03STR.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Well, very interesting thoughts. I would contact Jaguar directly and explain your issue and intentions. They may not be very interested in helping since a few things have occurred since your 2002 was built. First, they were owned by Ford in 2002 and have since been sold off to Tata Motors of India. The other thing is Jaguar changed the suspension on the S Type for 2003, along with many other things. They will surely claim that those changes where made to remedy issues with the early cars. It may go better if your car was an 03 or newer since the suspension did not change through out the rest of the car's cycle.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Default Bushings

Symbo, have you made any progress into the bushings? I'm also looking for some bushings without replacing the entire part.

from what I've researched, it would take a lot of effort to fix this with new bushings as some of the bushings are built into the part?

I have heard of a company called super pro who makes bushings for the 2000 S type, but, I'm not sure how much effort it would take to install/replace the sway bar bushings or to replace any bushings on the S Type.

I'm also looking for bushings and information on any experience with them or coil over/aftermarket suspension set ups for a 2000 S type.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Be aware that the early 2000-2002 S type is a twin to the Lincoln LS. I would recommend going to a Ford dealer and telling him you have a 2000 Lincoln LS and see what is available. Get a print out of the exploded parts diagram. You might even post a copy of it to the list for help.

The aftermarket is weak for the LS/S type but I would try AutoZone or NAPA for the bushings too. I will say this a pretty unusual. I am on Lincoln LS and S Type forums and only a handful of S Types have done this. I have never heard anyone having this happen to the LS??

Old 06-21-2010, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the direction Tbird6.

I did find some parts for the LS and surprisingly, he also had parts I needed for the Jag. I'm assuming they are the same???

I did an inspection under the car and found that some of the boots for the sway links were pretty damaged. I'm not sure if this is the cause of the sound but I found some replacements on ebay and figured I might as well replace them. I also found the front sway bar bushings on ebay but can't seem to find the ones for the rear sway bar. I called the seller on ebay and he said the sway bar bushings for the front and rear are the same. Is this true?

Old 06-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by tianma_jaguar
I called the seller on ebay and he said the sway bar bushings for the front and rear are the same. Is this true?

This sounds like a good question for ken@britishparts.com he advertises here and is a wealth of knowledge. He is located in Texas.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Default KW Variant 3's

Thanks, I just sent him an email.

Have you guys heard anything about the KW Variant 3's Suspension. They're on sale on ebay, just wondering if anyone's had any experience with these.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tianma_jaguar
Thanks, I just sent him an email.

Have you guys heard anything about the KW Variant 3's Suspension. They're on sale on ebay, just wondering if anyone's had any experience with these.
Did you ever get an answer regarding the front and rear parts being the same?

I have the same issue and need to find a source for the parts... Thanks

Old 11-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Just an FYI on this topic.

I had to have all the rear bushings replaced on my 06 STR at 48000 miles as well as the pass side front. This included all the links in the rear and the front and rear wishbones. Four wheel alignment.Dealer said (as we know from this forum) that all S types need these replaced in fairly short mileage. No reason why.
Total for all this was $3100.00 not including rental car for 5 days. All work done at Jag dealer.
Lucky for me I had my Easy Care extended warranty. $100.00 deductable.
Paid $2500.00 for the warranty and have had $4200.00 worth off work so far and still have two years left.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by cacloss
Did you ever get an answer regarding the front and rear parts being the same?

I have the same issue and need to find a source for the parts... Thanks
I think the OP has the original design S-Type (and thus also cannot have an STR). His parts should be in www.drivehq.com/web/jfenley/Parts_S-Types_2000-2005.pdf

Yours may also be, but be a bit cautious (due to the year of your car)

Old 11-03-2010, 02:10 AM
Default Bushings

Hi Guys,

No, the front and rear sway bar bushings are not the same.

I can't remember the exact details of which being larger, but, they are not the same size, at least not for a 2000 Jaguar S Type.

Cheers

Old 06-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Default Rear Toe Control Bar (Lateral Link)

My bushings are shot on the Toe Control Bar (Lateral Link) also. Looks like you have to change the whole bar to fix it. Someone asked where you can get them. I found mine at Autopartsway.com at $98 each.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

What car? What year? What's the part number?

Quick Reply: S Type R rear suspension bushings gone