Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type Garage Door Opener

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 06:22 AM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default S Type Garage Door Opener

G'day,

Does anyone know if any of the Australian or NZ spec S types came with the garage door opener available in UK, US and other markets? I have asked Jaguar Australia but no answer from them.

Thanks

Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by kosta013
G'day,

Does anyone know if any of the Australian or NZ spec S types came with the garage door opener available in UK, US and other markets? I have asked Jaguar Australia but no answer from them.

Thanks
I've gone through the Parts Catalogue to see if there is a mention of Australia/NZ specific door opener parts but without success.

Jaguar TOPIx Driver's Handbook for RoW RHD vehicles makes no mention of inclusion or exclusion in the Australia/NZ spec vehicles. It does give a link to the manufacturer's website:

S Type Garage Door Opener-garage-door-opener.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Contact Homelink through info@eurohomelink.com and they should be able to tell you whether the door opener is available for use in your country.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (09-21-2015), kosta013 (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the info Graham. I will check it out with Homelink and post outcome.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I have a spare roof console from an X350 XJ that has the homelink garage door opener in it, and it's the right frequency for us. Dunno if it will fit an S-Type though...

It's a beige/sand coloured console with wood veneer, with switches for sunroof, rear blind and front pasrking sensors, as well as the garage door opener...

eBay seller said it was grey, turned up and it was beige...

The following users liked this post:
kosta013 (03-13-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi Kosta and Cam;

Mine is a "Luxury" like yours Kosta, yet despite a VIN at the N80000 level, and a bagful of tricks, it lacks JaguarVoice and the Garage Door Opener ... confirmed by factory printout. Indeed in all my searches, I have not seen any on Oz S-Types, whether sunroof is fitted or not.

I need to do some delving tomorrow, because somewhere I have read and filed, confirmation of what Cam has said ... and more ... Not only does the Jaguar system operate on Oz frequency, but is also "rolling code" capable. This latter feature makes it suitable for use with the latest generation of B&D and Chamberlain Merlin openers that use this feature for added security. My filing system, even though now digital data, is so damn good I can't find nuthin' no more ...

So, Kosta, whilst as OP you have first call if Cam is selling all or part thereof, may I flag my interest also ... beige/sand sounds like my colour for the roof console area, although mine is factory listed as "Barley" highlighted by "Mocha".

To prevent sidetracking this topic, I will save my questions about Voice component availability to a new thread.

Best wishes,
Ken

kosta013 (03-14-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 08:31 AM

G'day Cambo & Ken,

The Console from the X350 XJ is intriguing. Do you have pics, both sides. Do we PM on this?

I have tried to contact Euro Homelink as suggested by GGG but no success so far. I spoke to Chambelain (part of Homelink group) in Sydney today as I have their Merlin Prolift 230T door lift and they confirmed that it operates on 433.92 MHz so it looks like the Homelink garage door opener might work on my door.

There are other models in their range which operate on different frequencies and they say it may be possible to modify the door lift if that was necessary. I am following up exactly what is involved with this and will comment further soon.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by kosta013
............ they confirmed that it operates on 433.92 MHz so it looks like the Homelink garage door opener might work on my door. .........
That's the same frequency as used in UK.

Graham

kosta013 (03-14-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 01:50 AM

G'day, re my post 13 March unfortunately despite promises Chamberlains have not responded to clarify exactly what it is they say they can offer to assist anyone wanting to match up a remote opener that operates on a different wavelength to various models in their range. I understand that it is also possible to buy some sort of device that will do this on Ebay.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 PM

OK guys, I finally found a spare moment to dig out that roof console & have a look in the parts catalog...

First of all, the part numbers in the catalog for the roof consoles from X350 XJ and S-Type are different, I could not get any numbers to match up. The XJ numbers are all C2C... and the S-Type are XR8....

BUT

When I took the console I have out of the box, there is a handwritten note with the part number 2R83-19A335A, and it says XJ8 S-Type. It's handwritten so who knows how accurate that info is...

Put that number into google, and it gets a hit without the A on the end as an S-Type part. So maybe there are in fact compatible.

Trim colour is AGD which is Oatmeal. When I looked at it under natural light it's definitely more brown than beige...the veneer wasn't available as an option on the S-Type, it's the Burr Walnut from the XJ.

I've vinyl-wrapped all the veneer in my XJR so I was going to wrap this one to match the others, but the colour of the plastic is all wrong....

This console has garage door 433.92MHz, sunblind, sunroof, front parking switches. It does not have the intrusion sensors for the alarm system.

Now...

Have a look at this thread on the UK forum Alec's XJ Project

If you don't need the sunroof, parking or sunblind switches, you can remove that section of the console & just swap it over. Even the switches from an X-Type console will fit, which reminds me, I have a spare grey X-Type roof console with the US-spec transmitter somewhere around here too...

EDIT

OK so I just remembered that a couple of years ago I was talking with a guy in the Czech Republic (I think, don't remember exactly where he was) but he had bought a roof console from the US to do the Homelink retrofit, but the transmitter being a US one was the wrong frequency for Europe in the end he found out that his garage door opener (the bit on the door) could be switched to work with either 433Mhz or 315/390MHz and he was able to use the US-spec transmitter with his garage door in Europe.

Maybe it's worth checking if your garage door can work on different frequencies...the consoles from the US are cheap...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-jagua...item3a8d4bab1e

Attached Thumbnails S Type Garage Door Opener-20140319_134911.jpg   S Type Garage Door Opener-20140319_134929.jpg   S Type Garage Door Opener-20140319_134936.jpg   S Type Garage Door Opener-20140319_134941.jpg  

Last edited by Cambo; 03-19-2014 at 12:30 AM.
jaquarlover65 (07-28-2022)
Old 04-03-2014, 06:34 AM

The project to install a garage door opener module continues with a few hiccups.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi Kosta / Cameron ... sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this rather left me up in the air ...

Do I understand correctly that Kosta you have not purchased roof console from Cam? If so, would I be out of place repeating my interest and asking Cam to PM me with price for either (1) the whole console as per pics, or (2) just the module/buttone/fascia insert? If Cam prefers the latter, is anyone else interested in any of the "non garage door opener" bits, veneer etc?

Cheers,
Ken

Old 07-15-2014, 07:08 AM

Just to bring this to a close.

Turns out that the console I had was a North American specification, the garage door module was for US frequencies.

Also, the X350 XJ and S-Type roof consoles are a direct swap.

Petz (08-03-2021)
Old 08-01-2014, 07:34 AM
Default Installing Homelink Garage Door Opener to 07 S Type

A garage door opener (GDO) was a factory fitted item in S Types in some markets but it was never available in Australia. It is possible to upgrade the Overhead Console in 2003/2008 model S Types, X-Types and possibly other models as garage door motors in the UK and Germany (and possibly the Euro zone) operate on the same 433.92 MHz frequency as Aust/NZ. The GDO is a Homelink brand radio frequency transceiver module. It has 3 switches so it can also be used for 2 other radio controlled devices such as gates, security systems, lights etc. I have upgraded my S Type with the GDO.

Jaguar has new Overhead Consoles + GDO (or just the GDO) at their usual crazy prices. A 2nd hand Overhead Console + GDO from an S Type or XJ (they are the same) from the UK would be ideal if you can find one as this would be a simple swap but they are rare on eBay and the wrecker networks. They are available on eBay USA but their GDO modules (Homelink module with a WHITE label, Jaguar part no. 2R83-19A335-A) will not work here unless your garage door opener can be adapted to the North American 315MHz and 390MHz frequencies. The US consoles are very good for other parts.

What I did was reconstructed my Overhead Console with parts from a donor 2003 US spec XJ X350 Overhead Console taking the essential semi oval vented centre piece with the amber cockpit light, all the switches, and the green circuit board which has the switch pads. The GDO came via eBay from a German spec XRR-S QQ6. It’s a very straightforward and intuitive process to reconstruct the console with the donor parts which is described further at the end of the Post. The module just clips into a powered location within the console with no additional wiring etc. required.

Thanks to Cambo351 for part no. research which confirmed that the Homelink module with a GREEN label, marked EuroHomelink 2000, Jaguar part no. 2R83-19A335-B, fits the S Type. I can confirm it works! See pictures of the Europe Green Label module and the North American White label module below.

The GDO modules look exactly the same across all models and SNG Barratt UK say they will fit S Type, X-Type, XJ, X350 and (New) XK so the same module appears to be used in most models. Part numbers may vary (e.g. from 2001 X-Type part no. was 1X43-19A533-BA) so be certain before you purchase – Can anybody confirm if one module fits/works in all models?

Some parts from the X-Type Overhead Console are also suitable as donor parts including the essential semi oval vented centre piece with the amber cockpit light and all the switches. I am not sure about the green circuit board (which has the switch-pads) as a 2001 UK spec X-Type console I have has an 11 pin power connector at the top of the board whereas my younger 2007 “S” has 10 a pin connector on the side of the board. Later X-Types may be different. The GDO Module fits the “S” but it has a different Jaguar part no (above) but I suspect it may work. The power ribbon comes straight out the back (The “S” module has a slight wave) which would require minor modification to the module clip-in location to align the power ribbon with the power outlet without stressing the ribbon. X-Type Overhead Consoles + GDO come up regularly on eBay UK priced from £10.00 so definitely worth a look. A bargain if the module will work in the “S”.

UK/Europe Module - GREEN LABEL, EuroHomelink 2000 (Jaguar Part No. 2R83-19A335-B)
S Type Garage Door Opener-europe-green-label-module.jpg

North American Module - WHITE LABEL (Jaguar Part No. 2R83-19A335-A)
S Type Garage Door Opener-north-american-module.jpg

Searching for Parts
UK
I found that a search for Jaguar Interior Lights or Jaguar Roof Console on the UK eBay site found many more UK sellers than when I searched for Jaguar Overhead Console which mostly bought up only a few US sellers.

There are regular UK sellers who list reasonably priced “new” “unused” Overhead Consoles in the box or 2nd hand which on deeper enquiry turn out to be for Canadian or US spec cars and have the module with the white label. There are 3 currently advertised. Ask questions, get clear pictures of the reverse of the console and investigate the suitability of parts, region/country specification etc. before purchase and ask seller to show that it has the correct GREEN label EuroHomelink 2000 module, which we know works.

USA
Search for Jaguar Overhead Console and Jaguar Roof Console on the US eBay site. If you search for Jaguar Homelink you will find numerous Homelink GDOs advertised that are fitted into the driver’s side (passenger side for us) sun visor of 1999/2002 S Types. They appear to be original equipment for North America only as in my extensive searches they have never appeared on any UK sites so I assume that feature was not available in pre-2003 cars in Europe? They could be made to work if power is available and you don’t mind it being located in front of the passenger.

Remember, the US is very good for Overhead Console parts, but not for the GDO module.

Overhead Console Removal
The console in my 2007 S Type is held in place by 4 pressure clips, 2 in front of and 2 behind the light lens. Some S Types have 6 clips. Removal is challenging due to constricted space for leverage and the clips are held in very tightly. A lot of force is required. Do not use a screw driver as this will damage the soft console edges. The steps were:

• Remove the T15 Torx screw in the sun-glass bin

• Starting at the front of the console in front of the lights ease the console down with a trim tool until you can get your fingers under the edge and yank it down very hard. Being gentle doesn’t work. If it doesn’t come fully down ease the remaining clips and pull hard. The lights will go out as they detach from the connectors.

• Move the console forward and down, disconnect the power source and microphone etc. and it’s free

Reconstruction from Donor Console
Reconstruction of ‘S’ Type console with parts from the donor is easy once the parts are separated and laid out. First step is to remove the top of the 8 fused plastic supports that hold the parts together in each Console and for this I used a 13mm countersink bit. Leave sufficient material to enable screws to be used for reassembly.

I kept the main outer console with wood-grain, sunglass bin, microphone and the Intrusion Sensors from my ‘S’ but the rest came from the XJ 350 including, the small semi oval vented centre piece of the console with the amber cockpit light and the switches (the switches are attached to the small black frame located immediately behind the centre piece), plus the green electronic circuit board (for the required attached switch pads).It may be necessary to relocate the “Male” section of the module power source from the donor console (if it can be removed) if yours does not have one.

Reinstall the Console in roof
• If the removal process left minor marks or indentations in the Console edges warm the area with a hair dryer and gently press it back into shape with a smooth tool. If this doesn’t work gently smooth the area with a very fine sandpaper to reshape it. These corrections are not noticeable when the console is installed in the roof. Test in an obscure area first

• Clean the light lense and consider replacing all light bulbs with new bulbs given how hard it will be to get the console out to replace them when they die

• Reconnect the power and test all switches and operations. Note, the cabin/map lights won’t work until the console is fully reinstalled and they are connected to the connector pins

• Apply a very small amount of lubricant to the pressure clips to assist re-assembly and avoid getting any on fingers, components and the roof lining

• Insert the rear of the console first and lightly screw the Torx screw back into the roof just enough that it is holding the console facing slightly downward (it has a slot at the back and sides for the roof-lining)

• Slide the remainder of the Console into the roof lining and ease it fully into place, line up the light connector pins carefully and push upward to engage the clips and it’s in. Tighten the Torx screw

Note some older consoles may have slight non critical manufacturing variations to the above.

Some Issues long the way
The replacement semi oval vented centre piece section from the donor console (with the buttons and the small orange light etc.) was not the same colour as my Champagne (SEL) but being Oatmeal (AGD) it was reasonably close and given it is small and is mounted on the roof in the darker part of the cabin the difference is not noticeable, so a close colour match works unless you are a purist.

My rolling code Merlin garage door opener motor-head unit consistently showed it was connected and talking to the car and had “learnt” the codes etc. and so should work, but it wouldn’t. The 10 minute solution provided by Merlin was to install a fixed code transceiver on the motor-head unit (similar probably available via eBay) and it worked immediately. Our other car is unaffected as it retains the existing rolling code remote control and the garage door opener now works on both rolling and fixed code.

Getting the electronics to “learn” from and talk to each other was the most difficult part of the project and this is not an uncommon experience according to forum posts and Google research.

Linking the Transmitter and Receiver
This can be a quick and smooth process or a very slow and frustrating process. – persevere. It is recommends that you install a new battery in your existing (old) remote control opener as the process can have a heavy draw on the battery.

Programing the Homelink Module
Turn engine off then turn the ignition to position 1. Existing codes must be cleared. To do this simultaneously press and hold the two outer buttons in the overhead console until the light on the centre button starts to flash. This takes more than 20 seconds. Flashing indicates existing codes are now cleared.
Turn engine off then turn the ignition to position 1. Hold the existing remote control door opener 50 to 100 mm from the transceiver (module) in the roof console and keep both the remote control and middle button in the overhead console indicator lamps in view. Simultaneously press the overhead roof console button you wish to “Learn” the code and the remote control button. Keep both pressed until the middle button changes from slow flashing to fast flashing (If fast flashing does not occur start again and try various positions/distance for the hand held remote). Wait for the flashing to stop. Press and hold the programmed button in the overhead console and observe the middle button light, if it is solid or continuous then programming is complete. Test operation of door from the overhead console button. Note to hold the button down for 2 seconds to activate the garage door opener. If it operates congratulate yourself, if not the garage door opener motor-head may have to “Learn” the Homelink remote in the overhead console (see below).

To program the other 2 buttons for other devices repeat the process without ignition on. Do not program the other 2 buttons with your garage door code (3 buttons coded the same) as this will cause conflict and poor/no operation.

Learn Function
If the garage door doesn’t operate and/or the middle button light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns solid or continuous after programing then proceed as follows: -

Locate the “Learn” or “Smart” button at the garage door opener motor-head and press and release it. Depending on the brand of door opener a clicking sound may commence and/or the motor-head light will likely flash on/off for a period of about 30 seconds. Quickly enter the car and firmly press and hold the pre-programmed learned button on the Homelink garage door opener in the overhead console for two seconds repeating the process 3 times to complete the training process. The garage door opener in the overhead console should now activate the rolling code motor-head unit.

Further information is available from the Jaguar Handbook, Homelink UK website, info@eurohomelink.com, the excellent post from androulakis 02-06-11, “DIY: Adding Homelink to an 03+ S Type”, other posts, Google, your garage door opener manufacturer.

S Type Overhead Console with GREEN LABEL UK/Europe Module (Jaguar Part No. 2R83-19A335
S Type Garage Door Opener-s-type-overhead-console.jpg

Last edited by kosta013; 08-01-2014 at 07:45 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by kosta013:
baldeagle15 (01-17-2020), Cambo (08-03-2014), cat_as_trophy (10-08-2014), Jumpin' Jag Flash (09-21-2015), Mikey (08-01-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

What a great post!! So well done and all the details answered.

I have a partially broken garage door opener button on my over head console. Have been looking and found like you the old X-Type parts are much cheaper. Now I can get the X-Type unit and rob the home link switch panel and swap it to my S Type.

kosta013 (10-09-2014)
Old 09-19-2015, 04:58 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Activating an old thread:

Where to get the green labeled module with the european frequency?

Is it possible to modify/reprogram/change the white modules US-frequency to the EU-frequency?

Old 09-19-2015, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Try a wrecker (scrap yard).

In theory they might be reprogrammable but forget it in reality.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:28 AM

You can't re-program the modules but you can obtain devices that attach to the garage door opener motor that will operate on the North American frequency. Search this and other forums and talk to major installers of garage door openers for further information.

It is rare to find a "Green" module for sale by itself but you can find cheap overhead consoles from wreckers that include the garage door opener that have the module. The module seems common across the jaguar range. X-Type overhead consoles appear more often on ebay and they will work in the S Type.

Good luck

Old 02-18-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Reviving a dead thread...I have a US-spec module open on my bench right now; if you are very handy with a soldering iron, the module CAN be shifted in frequency between the 315 MHz US/Canada/Japan spec and the 433 MHz EU spec. (in ITU regions 2 and 3, 433 is limited to weak-signal and amateur satellite use).

The chip will transmit in either range, depending on which pin is powered; it is a matter of shifting the surface-mount resistor over one space.

Realistically, given the 10 quid price tag for the replacement, I'd not bother and just swop the parts!

Norri (02-18-2018)