S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What annoys you most about your S-Type??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

A comment that brings tears to my eyes.

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Nuttin about the "S" annoys me.To me, she is what she is, and this is a bunch. My 03 STR's overall styling, smooth ride, and bruteforce still manages to evoke "Excitement", "Mystique", and "Intrigue" feelings in me. I can take her out tomorrow and kick the *** of most late model BMW, MB, or Ford or GM metal, and still feel and look like a well primped gentleman who just punched out a foe whilst remaining unscathed; clothing without a wrinkle. These "abilities" continue to supress or supercede cosmetic flaws, minor equipment dysfunction, or lack of proper engineering. There's nothing around that compares. The "S"'s retro-design will look new even in 20 years...she's timeless.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Nuttin about the "S" annoys me.To me, she is what she is, and this is a bunch. My 03 STR's overall styling, smooth ride, and bruteforce still manages to evoke "Excitement", "Mystique", and "Intrigue" feelings in me. I can take her out tomorrow and kick the *** of most late model BMW, MB, or Ford or GM metal, and still feel and look like a well primped gentleman who just punched out a foe whilst remaining unscathed; clothing without a wrinkle. These "abilities" continue to supress or supercede cosmetic flaws, minor equipment dysfunction, or lack of proper engineering. There's nothing around that compares. The "S"'s retro-design will look new even in 20 years...she's timeless.
Damn! Sounds like you sleep in the car too!

Old 12-18-2010, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by jaglover922
There's an arrow next to the gas tank symbol where the gas gauge is that points to the direction of the filler neck. All cars pretty much have them, not a lot people notice it though.
Agreed, I am an idiot (as most of you guys know), in my 31 years of driving American vehicles I have been conditioned by having the fuel door on the drivers side.

Mostly when I get to drive the Jaguar its "honey I need gas", I tell Joyce to eat some chili and go on about my business of getting in it driving to the filling station, pushing the fuel door button LOCATED on the left side of the cluster, (and the trunk on the right), getting out to realize I am on the wrong side of the car. The trunk button and fuel door button should have switched, atleast in North American Versions.

I concur with bfsgross as well, I (we) love this vehicle even though shes powered by a powerful V6, that is what attracted us to the S Type!

Last edited by joycesjag; 12-18-2010 at 08:25 AM. Reason: bfsgross and being blind
Old 12-18-2010, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Have you guys taken a glimps at the Bentley? The side lines, hood, and grill either were inspired or superceded the "S"'s. I understand the "S"'s exterior design cues goes back 50+ years. Bob, I've slept in my STR during one hour breaks before seeing the afternoon patient load. Laid back the seat, threw some smooth jazz on the Alpine, then grabbed a 45 minute wink.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
That's a new idea to me (I don't wander through random stations - you've already figured that out though!).

Er, you do this while driving?????
Actually, If you do any kind of traveling in the US that is a real good feature and safer while driving. Just hit "scan" once and when a station comes in just hit it again to stop the scan. FM is real regional here so once you leave your metro area, it's real hard to find a station...
Then again, Sat. radio solved that issue for me....

Originally Posted by joycesjag
BTW there is no arrow
Oh, Rickysan, it's all in the details.....

See the arrow next to the gas pump symbol......

I agree with you, George, about the heated seats... They suck.

They cycle off too soon and don't get hot enough.. They also seem to only heat the lower cushion and not the back as well... That sucks too.

My 01 Cherokee used to cycle off as well. But at least they warmed up all the way up the back...

Now the LR2 loaners I've had were real nice.. No timer, and man did they heat up... It's crazy, but I really like those Landy's.....

Attached Thumbnails What annoys you most about your S-Type??-p7280127.jpg  
Old 12-18-2010, 06:20 AM
Veteran member

Have you guys taken a glimps at the Bentley? The side lines, hood, and grill either were inspired or superceded the "S"'s. I understand the "S"'s exterior design cues goes back 50+ years. .
I think the Bentley's design is more of an evolution of the early 90's Continental and less of an emulation of the S...

Now, like it or not, you are spot on with the S being a retro design... That's why I like it so much. It is just neat when a classic design is emulated in a modern way...

That is why I like the last generation Thunderbird and the 05 and up Mustang so much... In my opinion, great interpretations of a classic..
Oh, let's not forget the Dodge Challenger either...

Old 12-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

The most annoying feature of the S-type is (for me) all the crap (mostly CD's) my lovely wife keeps in the door pockets that flops out onto the tarmac 9 out of 10 times that I egress from the car. Then, like Rick, I normally only drive the S to fill it with fuel or test-drive after maintenance, which begats a +1 to Rick on the fuel door location. 3rd would be the deletion in 05 of the very useful fuel door lanyard the 03 has, so you can actuate the door from the boot without having to walk all the way back 'round to the "driver's" side just to hit the boot button which is where the fuel door button should be, causing another walkabout!

I'll offer the assembled masses here a tidbit I stumbled onto over on the Ford Diesel forum researching some glow plug issues, since there is a bit of discussion as to which is "Driver's" and which is "Passenger's:"

"All odd # cylinders are on the passenger's side, as viewed from the engine bay."

The distinction is lost on me, but perhaps it works for someone else!

Fuel door doubly irritating on account of my exposure to S-types began over two years ago, but only recently acquired the "big cat" (whose fuel door is located on the "proper" side and only locks when the car is locked) for my daily driver, thus I spy the vast expanse of leather and wood, micro-switch in brain latches to "Jag" and I zip up to the "wrong" side of the pump!!!

Old 12-18-2010, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
"All odd # cylinders are on the passenger's side, as viewed from the engine bay."
Not true!

On the 1999-2002 (non-redesign) S-Type, half the odds are on each bank.

(It also fails miserably over here as the passenger is on the other side of the car.)

It's a REALLY good habit to get used to the standard convention, exemplified by RHD and LHD, that right and left are as you would say if you stood behind the car looking forward. (Or sat in a seat facing forwards.)

Last edited by JagV8; 12-18-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

the deletion in 05 of the very useful fuel door lanyard the 03 has
They deleted it? Or is yours just missing?

Old 12-18-2010, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Hey Jag, beware of context!
I thought I clearly stated the comment was a quote from the Ford Diesel board. To further amplify, it was regarding the Navistar 7.3L Powerstroke, any application of the comment to other engines is at the user's own risk!

Since my communication was ambiguous, let me try to clear it up for others who come later:

"The quote regarding cylinder numbering in the middle of post #47 has zip, zero, nada to do with Jag cylinder numbering, any engine, any model! It was an (apparently failed) attempt at humor by passing along something that got a chuckle out of me.

Sorry...didn't mean to set off any alarms or put out bad info....

Old 12-18-2010, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

I realise it wasn't meant to mislead. Unfortunately there's already too much confusion about cylinder numbering. Last thing needed is any more.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

JOsworth, I meant the Bentley "GT" (2 door, V12, 650 hp, 205 mph, 5000 lb. monster) has similar side lines, hood, headlight pattern, and grill as the "S".

Last edited by bfsgross; 12-18-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

C'mon guys, seat heaters are for the ladies. In fact, the HVAC heat is for the ladies....

But that's coming from a guy who drives his Ram around in 15-degree weather wearing just a t-shirt with both windows down so the dog in the passenger seat is happy right along with me....

Old 12-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
The recessed area for the windshield wipers. You can't replace the wiper blades without opening the hood. Also, this area traps snow out the ying-yang.
I swapped mine over without lifting the hood, I mean bonnet. They just slip on and off.

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Lack of heated mirrors, this is a safety issue.
If I put on the heated windscreen the mirrors heat up as well.

My most annoying issue is general electrical gremilins. At the moment it is the rear parking sensor.

The following users liked this post:
bens (01-16-2011)
Old 12-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

JOsworth, I meant the Bentley "GT" (2 door, V12 650 hp 205 mph 5000 lb. monster) has similar side lines, hood, headlight pattern, and grill as the "S".
I know what you mean. I'd like the same SS grill inserts for the STR.

I got a ride in the Super Sport version of this car this summer at Pocono Raceway. OMG. a living room that corners at speed. Amazing. It's only $250K more than a new STR was ... gulp.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth

You expect people with old eyes to see THAT!

Fortunately I have it memorized and my Sable wagon is the same. All my European cars have it on that side too except for the Espada. It has one on both sides and you have to fill from both sides. What a PITA!

The heated seats work OK. Not sure why they turn off so soon though. The ones in my Suburban tan ones' backside ...

Old 12-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Agreed, I am an idiot (as most of you guys know), in my 31 years of driving American vehicles I have been conditioned by having the fuel door on the drivers side.

Mostly when I get to drive the Jaguar its "honey I need gas", I tell Joyce to eat some chili and go on about my business of getting in it driving to the filling station, pushing the fuel door button LOCATED on the left side of the cluster, (and the trunk on the right), getting out to realize I am on the wrong side of the car. The trunk button and fuel door button should have switched, atleast in North American Versions.

BTW there is no arrow

I concur with bfsgross as well, I (we) love this vehicle even though shes powered by a powerful V6, that is what attracted us to the S Type!
I'm not saying your an idiot, I'm saying that I've been driving for as long as you have, worked on car professionally for 25 plus years. I didn't realize what the arrow was for after all these years until my wife made a comment to me one day, when we had a rental car and were stopping for gas. I asked here what side the fuel door was on. She said I don't know, which way it the arrow pointing on the fuel gauge. And you get the picture. Thought it was kind of funny. It makes since to have it.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Oh, Rickysan, it's all in the details.....

I am a big enough man, I was wrong and I am sorry! Just had to adjust my bi-focals to see it! But as stated earlier, I don't need to look at the gas gauge, MY GAS GAUGE TELLS ME ITS ON EMPTY!!!

Old 12-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

"The quote regarding cylinder numbering in the middle of post #47 has zip, zero, nada to do with Jag cylinder numbering, any engine, any model! It was an (apparently failed) attempt at humor by passing along something that got a chuckle out of me.
I got quite a chuckle out of it!!

Old 12-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Veteran member

JOsworth, I meant the Bentley "GT" (2 door, V12 650 hp 205 mph 5000 lb. monster) has similar side lines, hood, headlight pattern, and grill as the "S".
Oh I knew what Bentley you meant... I just think that the "current" Continental isn't like the S as much as it is like older Continentals..

This....

From this....

From this...

Quick Reply: What annoys you most about your S-Type??