S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Winter Driving

So tonight here in MI, we are suppose to get 3-6 inches of snow. I was wondering how much weight or if at all do people put in their trunks? I was thinking 2-3 salt bags.

I have brand new tires, so I am hoping they will be fine for this winter and next year I will get some snow tires. Thanks!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Last year when I drove my STR in the snow I tried using 2 bags of play sand. It still sucked as I was stupid and had summer tires on. This year, I picked up a subaru that was less than the cost of a good winter set of wheels/tires.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Putting weight in the trunk will make virtually no difference in terms of straight ahead traction and may increase the tendency for the rear to come around in a fast corner. Summer tires and four season tires suck, bite and blow all at the same time on an S-type in serious snow. Get some top quality snow tires- that's all you need.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

The weight MAY help slightly with acceleration, but will make your handling worse. With a pick up truck, weight of (400lbs) will help. But I've only done it once. The slight improvemnt was not worth it.

Just take your time. Spiining aint winning, it's just fun.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting! I always thought the weight would help. Learn something new everyday!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:20 AM

The biggest help will be dedicated snow tires with many tiny slits in the tread. They give more service area to grip, as well as the tires having a very soft compound so they stay soft in the cold. A thinner tire will help too as it concentrates the weight distribution and resists "floating" on top of the snow. Please keep in mind this for ON-ROAD snow tires. lol Off-road is a completely different storey.

I'm sure you've driven in snow and ice before so you know the deal. Spinning aint winning, it's just fun. And slow down extra early.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

When it's snowing out, my solution is to park the Jag and drive the Audi.

Mike

Old 11-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Here everything is shut down until the 1/2" of snow or so melts !

BTW Play sand is the way to go NEVER EVER salt! My first car was a 1977 ElCamino, the original woman owner put a couple of water softening bags of salt in the tonneau covered bed for traction one winter up north.....Oh boy..... Was easy enough to replace the bed floor back then.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default s-types and snow

I put a set of Continental DWS's on 5k ago. No snow yet, so I can't comment on that aspect of the tire. I could be wrong, but I think this tire and some caution will see me through the winter. I never had any success with adding weight to any car I've ever owned.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think adding weight helps a lot. I've always had RWD vehicles and weight always seemed to help in the MN winters. I still have my S10 SS that I will use this winter once snow falls just for the fact i'm more comfortable with it in the snow.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Just my H.O for what it's worth to you, but adding weight to the trunk area will only make the handling quirky, add additional wear to the rear suspension, and provide very little improvement in traction. I live and travel in ski country and we get plenty of snow. With 4 good quality dedicated snow tires ( eg. Michelin Alpin, Bridgestone WS 70's, etc.) and the surprisingly capable traction control system found on the Type S, my Jag is a virtual tank where snow is concerned. Almost as capable of clawing up the rather steep hill where I live as my wife's 4x4. Additionally, buy 4 snow tires, not just 2 for the rear. Snows only at the rear will not provide proper braking and steering on slick pavement.
Snow tires are also made of a softer different rubber compound that works in extremely cold temperatures. Regular summer and "all season" tires become as hard as hockey pucks in cold temps and lose all their ability to grip even dry clean asphault. "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow"

The following 2 users liked this post by matty427:
JagV8 (12-15-2011), JOsworth (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by PureExcellence1
I think adding weight helps a lot. I've always had RWD vehicles and weight always seemed to help in the MN winters. I still have my S10 SS that I will use this winter once snow falls just for the fact i'm more comfortable with it in the snow.
See... Simple explanation.... It isn't about overall weight honestly. It's about front to rear weight distribution.

S Type: not good to add weight to the trunk because it already has nearly 50/50 front to rear weight distribution. Adding weight throws that off.

S10: good to add weight to the bed because it is more like 60/40 (I looked it up and it is 57/43) weight distribution so when you put weight over the rear axle you move it closer to 50/50. At a 50/50 weight distribution you get much better handling balance therefore more stability in extremely poor driving conditions.

My 300C is at 54/46 so it may benefit from a little junk in the trunk..

Make sense?

Last edited by JOsworth; 12-16-2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: looked up specs...
Old 12-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

X10000 on snow tires. All 4 wheels, not even a consideration to do just 2. I've been happy with Hankook Icebear W300's since we get more ice than deep snow these days. But if you get deep snow, look for perhaps something more geared toward self cleaning lugs.

No weight in the trunk as already explained. Salt would be the absolute worst thing to use if you did. Cat litter is ok, not really as heavy based on volume as sand, but either can help you get un-stuck, which is the only reason i would have any with me.

For your car, in your shoes i would get a dedicated set of snow tires and wheels. Then you can just do the swap of the entire unit and not have to mess around with remounting and balancing. The cost eventually will even out and much less hassle, and you can DIY. Plus you keep your OEM wheels out of the salt and junk.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I my summer slicks are firestone firehawk high performance tires. I tired to take out of my lot with an inch or so on snow in the ground and I went no where. It was terrible. The roads quickly cleared up and I got my winter tires put on. The winter tires, abs, and traction control keep me on the road. Most importantly, your driving style will play a large role. My suggestion is that, with summer tires and any snow, or freezing temps, stay off the road. Get a set of winter tires, if you do any but of driving in the winter and you will be set. Im sure there are volvo steel rims out there that may fit your car, if you cant find rims to beat up.

Best,

By the way, I keep one of my summer tires and rims in the trunk (at least this winter - because I have been too lazy to take it out) for some weight. The winter tires I have are Bridgestone Blizzak ws-70, and I am happy with them.

Last edited by Stype student; 12-17-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I respect the responses but like many said, If you can buy a "beater", and they are out there cheap, get it. Why drive the Jag in the snow (although when bad usually takes a day to clean the streets up fairly quickly). But consider if you do drive it, the whole time you are driving, what about that crap they put on the roads.....if it can melt snow and ice in a very short time, what do you think it does to all the parts under the car. And these days, when they know its coming, they put that stuff down early so it is just going everywhere on the car when driving. Why risk it.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:56 AM

How long do you keep a car? 5 years, 10 years, till it dies? I've NEVER in years of driving in Wisconsin had to get rid of a car because of corrosion from road prep or any other cause. It's all about how you take care of your stuff. Why buy any car if you’re not going to drive it? Why buy a car if you have to buy another car for the other half of the year? I'm sorry but your logic does not make any, well, logic...

My truck is 11 years old, over 160k miles on it, and spent 9 years in WI as my DD. The only corrosion I have is some chrome flaking on my wheels. Here's the kicker with that, I have a set of winter wheels and tires, so they never even saw snow or road salt but once.

I know that stuff isn’t good for cars, and does cause issues, but such is life. If I could afford a Bugatti Veyron, you better believe I’m gonna drive it. I don’t believe in trailer queens, or only driving if it’s sunny.

To each their own I guess so if you wanna buy a beater then by all means. Cheers

Last edited by SchultzLD; 12-19-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

schultzLD

I do it because I can.......

Always wanted to say that.

Understand your point and yes why buy it if not going to drive it. I'm not saying not to drive it in the winter at all, I do, but when I hear a lot of snow and it does, I wait until they clear the roads up real good and then drive it. Besides, you know the deal in the snow most of the time with these cars. If I want to slide around, I'll get a sled.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Amadauss
...I do it because I can.......

Always wanted to say that...
lol, awesome!

But yea I hear you. I try to stay off the raods when it's bad out because of OTHER drivers. It's just scary what some people will try...

Old 12-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought the real fun begins when you CAN slide around!

Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by matty427
I thought the real fun begins when you CAN slide around!
I did that about 2 years ago once when making a u-turn. I punched it to swing the back end around to the desired position, and then eased on down the road. The guy behind me in a Honda struggled a bit, much to my delight.

Quick Reply: Winter Driving