S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 stype r supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 stype r supercharger

i need some help with my s type r . the supercharger is knocking and would like to either have it rebuilt or buy a new one. i parked the car and am not driving it. any rebuild services companies would be appreciated, mike

Old 01-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

It might help getting suggestions if you add your location to your profile. Somehow I don't think you're Ann Murray's neighbour.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,752 Posts

How many miles on it?
I would unhook the belt and start the car to make sure it's the blower. Could be a tensioner or something else.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:38 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's the supercharger making the noise, it's likely the flexible coupling in the nose case. You can get repair kits with coupler, bearings, seals and proper oil off ebay or amazon if you're able to do the work yourself. Now mine has a little knock when it's cold, but isn't noticeable once the engine is warm. Really it's unlikely a real problem with your car so don't panic. The belt is easy enough to remove to test if it actually is that, and you can also feel for freeplay in the drive pullet and rotors to see if it really does have a problem. I've found several superchargers used on ebay if it comes to that.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

Let us know what you find out.

If needed I have a used blower with 85K miles on it and it's good and quiet. Oil has been changed in it. Came off my STR. It is NOT a junk yard part!

I was going to port and pulley the car but decided not too. Purchased a second blower so I could send it off and not have my car down for all that time.

When the under super charger coolant hose started leaking I swapped blowers when doing the hose repair since the one I bought only had 35K miles on it.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Let us know what you find out.

If needed I have a used blower with 85K miles on it and it's good and quiet. Oil has been changed in it. Came off my STR. It is NOT a junk yard part!

I was going to port and pulley the car but decided not too. Purchased a second blower so I could send it off and not have my car down for all that time.

When the under super charger coolant hose started leaking I swapped blowers when doing the hose repair since the one I bought only had 35K miles on it.
About your leaking hose. I'm wondering if mine is as well cause I'm getting a burnt smell that I cannot locate. What indications did you have and how difficult is it to remove the SC? I'm a DIYer and I'm pretty much learning all I can from JTIS and YouTube.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

One of the keys to the under SC hose leak is red stains down the back of the engine. Not much else can make those stains.

Yes it's a big job but we have a LOT of great instructions so read up before you tear the car apart. I have done it twice now because I did not listen to the forum the first time and had to go back in to fix the vacuum elbow leak from the P/B hose. Please fix this while you have the blower off as it will fail on all supercharged cars!

This is a good thread where I gathered all the other threads together about this repair. I link about 6 other repair threads so you have some reading to do!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-p0174-149418/

Old 01-19-2017, 07:57 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Benji999
What indications did you have and how difficult is it to remove the SC?
Is the car losing coolant?

Old 01-20-2017, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Is the car losing coolant?
Oddly enough I can't see any coolant loss. But every once in a while I'll see a light haze/smoke coming from somewhere under the driver side (US) part of the engine when I notice the burnt smell.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
One of the keys to the under SC hose leak is red stains down the back of the engine. Not much else can make those stains.

Yes it's a big job but we have a LOT of great instructions so read up before you tear the car apart. I have done it twice now because I did not listen to the forum the first time and had to go back in to fix the vacuum elbow leak from the P/B hose. Please fix this while you have the blower off as it will fail on all supercharged cars!

This is a good thread where I gathered all the other threads together about this repair. I link about 6 other repair threads so you have some reading to do!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-p0174-149418/
Wow, after looking through your very detailed post I have come to the conclusion that I may have the exact same problems. Just today it popped the EML with lean codes. Guess I have some work cut out for me...

Old 01-20-2017, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

After fixing my car I am convinced the under SC hose starts weeping long before it gives way. I had a slight smell of coolant around the engine area for quite awhile and not really any coolant loss.

The hose lays in a valley so it has to fill all that up before the leak becomes visible. But it's cooking the anti freeze because of engine heat so you get the smell. Just my theory!

Remember we have a number of DIY guys plus several factory techs on this board who have done the repair so you are not on your own here. I used those thread's during my repair so don't think I invented any of this!

But we still could use more fine tuning and little tricks to speed the repair up. So you need to post back on what you found or maybe clarify something that was posted before that confused you.