S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 S type 4.2 V8 need some help

Old 10-05-2015, 11:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2005 S type 4.2 V8 need some help

Good evening everyone, I'm new to your forum and I need help from somebody.
6 months ago I purchased a 2005 S type 4.2 V8 with 97,000 miles in it. Love it and immaculate inside out but all of a sudden one day it put me in limp mode ( scary situation) and also engine light came off. I decided to take it yo the dealer and there were 4 different codes one of the had something to do with catalytic converter and the other one throttle body. Service advisor recommend me to change throttle body and the problem will be solve. Got my car back last week it was working fine and one morning after dropping my daughter at school again the problem LIMP MODE, took the car back to the dealer and now they're telling me that my car needs a new Engine Wire Harness (4,000.00) and the car has 7 different codes
P0102
P0122
P0405
P0420
P0445
P0447
When they call me and told me how much the repairs will cost I went and pick up my car and when I opened the hood (at home) I can see all the wires, pieces of black tape laying everywhere and grease on my front seat. I took pictures of the condition they had gave my car back and send it to the manager ( obviously no response from their side). I decided to take my car somewhere else and the mechanic told me he can't work on this car because first of all they glued the connector to the throttle body and if he touch it I will lose the warranty on it, so I went back to the dealer and spoke to the General Manager of the Dealer and told them how I felt about their service and the way they had return me my car and by law in Broward County, Fl they have to give me old throttle body and it seems that is nowhere to be found....... Besides all of this they cut parts of the wires that goes to the throttle body without my authorization!!! They end up towing the car back again to the Dealer. Sorry for such a long story but tomorrow morning I have a meeting with the GM, Manager and mechanic from the Dealer due to the fact that I believe deep down in my heart that they have created all this problems.....How could it be possible that they tell me that changing the throttle body will fix the problem and next thing I know a have 7 new codes and the whole engine wire harness has to be replace.....Please I need your advice to win this battle otherwise I will be eaten alive at this meeting and loose my money and no problem fix...... Please need someone's advise!!!!! ASAP......... Thanks so much

Old 10-06-2015, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

You need a lawyer.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:08 AM
Default 2005 S type 4.2 V8

Good Morning everyone,
Thanks for your advice about the lawyer........ Let's see what happen me and my husband are own our way to the Dealer and I will definetly let you know the outcome of my nightmare........any other advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful day.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:31 AM

Thanks JagV8

Old 10-06-2015, 01:51 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Best of luck with this one, if there is one thing I hate about Jags its that usually the dealer has to work on it, alot of mechanics don't do Jags or don't have the tools to get the job done. Hope everything works out.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

AS A almost 20 yr master tech on them I can tell you most all the connectors on the car under the hood, Especially the Throttle body and coil connectors break apart when you look at them much less have to disconnect them. Jaguar does not supply them seperatly. I would never glue but usually even with a broken lock they stay put, if not I tie strap cause you will have to take them apart in the future for other repairs.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-12-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Brutal,

I'm assuming when you do this, you tell your customer that you have done so. Correct?

Old 10-06-2015, 04:30 PM

Good Afternoon everybody, first of all I would like to apologize for not putting all my info in the signature panel but last night I was really desperate and determine to find some help.I would like to thank all members that has reply to me and also to all members that has previously posted very valuable information,last night in 3 hours doing my homework,research and taking notes I walk into that Dealership with more than knowledge actually I had WEAPONS to fight back in a very smart way and using terms that they never expected a WOMEN to know this much about a 2005 S Type Jaguar 4.2 V8........ The GM and the Foreman Mechanic even my husband they were IMPRESS........Long story short I WON THE BATTLE........������������������������
They did accepted that they made a mistake, the GM is going to refund me my money for the throttle body and labor, they called Jaguar Corporate in ref the wire harness and they were able to find a use one (normally 2,600.00 + labor) this one for 1,500.00 including labor plus the GM is going to try to even get me a lower price and at the end he even congratulate me for having so much knowledge and know the proper terms for parts in this car.......
He even offer me a job there.....Jajajajajajajajajajajajaja
Thank you guys so much and like I said before thanks to other members for such valuable info in this Forum..........KUDOS to everybody
I conqueredddddddddd!!!!!!! Thanks to everybody!

The following 4 users liked this post by only1gina:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-19-2015), Norri (10-06-2015), pauljag (11-25-2015), tjones (11-17-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Brutal,

I'm assuming when you do this, you tell your customer that you have done so. Correct?
Why?, tell everyone with a older car their plastic is falling apart on the car and about the only way to remedy this is buy a new harness??? Or open a can of worms of "well it wasnt like that till you worked on it" Uh yeah theres a ton of stuff like this. And there are lots of plastic stuff under the hood especially plastic pipes for coolant that I almost always quote cause I know Im more than likely not going to be able to remove it in one piece. We have customers sign a disclaimer of look you have a older car and things may break that are the result of the owrk in process and even though we take the care to not damage ITS OLD! AND WE WILL NOT REPLACE AT OUR COST IF IT DOES. . If thats unacceptable then we just dont work on it. I many times include replaceable parts like this on a estimate because guess what, if it would likely break on me but I get it apart and back together in one piece, it may likely break later down the road when youre driving and be stuck. And then its a "well you just worked on it!" If I could SEE into the furure and PREDICT the longevity of a part I sure wouldnt be working here

Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-19-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 08:50 AM

Also a USED harness? you meen one subjected to the SAME conditions and age as the one youre removing as the car it came off of. Yeah I like that line of reasoning too (sarc)
for YEARS I have asked that connectors be made available so we can effect repairs like this simply, but thats just too much to ask even though I know theyre out there. Thats why most of us cut all connectors off of harnesses whenever we can and save them....

Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-12-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Why? In the interests of full disclosure, that's why. I would want to know if aging components on my vehicle need zip-ties or tape or glue to function properly now. It gives me more accurate information to consider when making the decision on whether to repair or replace. If thoroughly and properly explained, 99% of customers will understand your predicament. They may not be happy about it, but they will understand that their components are nearing the end of their life cycle and decisions must be made....

Lately I've been dealing with various plastic cooling system components on both of our Jaguars that are known to turn brittle and fail. I don't particularly like it, but I understand it. I can certainly blame the engineering team but I can't blame the tech (or in my case, me since I'm the DIY guy trying to effect the repairs)....

Last edited by Jon89; 10-07-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Why? In the interests of full disclosure, that's why. I would want to know if aging components on my vehicle need zip-ties or tape or glue to function properly now. It gives me more accurate information to consider when making the decision on whether to repair or replace. If thoroughly and properly explained, 99% of customers will understand your predicament. They may not be happy about it, but they will understand that their components are nearing the end of their life cycle and decisions must be made....

Lately I've been dealing with various plastic cooling system components on both of our Jaguars that are known to turn brittle and fail. I don't particularly like it, but I understand it. I can certainly blame the engineering team but I can't blame the tech (or in my case, me since I'm the DIY guy trying to effect the repairs)....
NO Jon youre one of few that want to know, show interest or would even know what Im talking about. Thats different, for you sure. for most it is a deer in the headlights stare. For those that do show a interest, want to know etc. they talk to me and usually have my cell number Youre a enthusiast with a interest and why youre here, most are not. I never have a issue talking to someone, but I just related why most do not.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

I hear you, Brutal. I still say information is power. Those who do not request it will eventually pay for not doing so....

And I'm not really an "enthusiast" but I do appreciate you calling me one. My interest in maintaining our vehicles is driven by one primary focus - economics. I admit that when we finally go vehicle-less due to age and/or infirmity, I will not miss ever having to turn a wrench again. But I hope we still have another 30 years or more of driving in us....

I'd sure like to discover how much less wrench-turning I would have to do by owning the latest Tesla Model S. Unfortunately I'm not willing to cough up the insane amount of money to find out....

Old 10-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I'd want a mass-produced electric car once the problems have all been fixed i.e. not any time soon, or a lower-volume interesting one, again not any time soon.

Or one as a hobby that I could (would have to) tinker with.

Meanwhile, an STR or any other S-Type, is fairly easy DIY for most common faults. Anyone who knows they won't DIY should have extra cash (since it's always going to be unrealistic to imagine an upmarket brand would be cheap to take to a dealer - I know, statement of the blindingly obvious).

Last edited by JagV8; 10-07-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

I'd gladly take a new Tesla Model S tomorrow if Elon Musk would kindly do two small favors for me:

1. Give me one at no cost to me....

2. Pay the North Carolina annual property tax on it as long as it remains in our stable....

That's not too much to ask, is it?

Old 10-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Brutal I sure wish we could replace those old brittle plastic connectors.

I did find that a dead standard Toyota 4 pin TPS plug matches the one on the S Type. But I am still looking for the 2 pin connector on the throttle body that actually opens and closes the throttle.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:48 PM

Tbird Toyota is the place to get many and there are very tiny small part numbers on each connector to referance them. I still cant read them even with readers on.

And Jon I encourage people always today and the way I taught my kids is this. Gain enough info to know how to have an intelligent conversation with a pofessional. You dont have to know enough to fix it yourself, but should have a "informed" conversation. The issue with talking to everryone about stuff like this is as I mentioned, AND I dont have that kkind of time if not asked. remember I only get paid to FIX a car, not a conversation, and even that time is changing A quick 10 mintute(theyre vitually never that short) in the morning and 1 in the afternoon adds up to 2 hours a week, 50 weeks a year(less vacation) and its a 100 HOURS or to look at it another way working 2 weeks a year for FREE. And this does not even cover all the other time wasters or things not paid for in addition. To make money in this industry you have to be good and fast.Otherwise youll have skinny barefoot kids
One of the reasons 90% of my phone contacts are customers first and last names, spouses if I know them yr and model and engine. And some are surprised when they call a year later and answer them by name. BUt i cant just randomly do this for everyone for any reason or I would live in a box. Sorry about the thread jack but we were discussing it have a great night time to go

Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-19-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 05:20 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Brutal, You are alive!!! Hope things are going well for you.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, it's always a pleasure when Brutal chimes in here on the forum. That is indeed becoming a rarer and rarer event....

Old 10-08-2015, 08:38 AM

Well finally after willing and dealing with the GM all I'm going to pay is for labor, harness will be paid by the Dealer. I'm new to all of this but I was able to learn so much about it and it's been INCREDIBLE!!!!!
With all my respects to Brutal I do agree with all your comments and you are absolutely right!!! with old cars anything could happen and anything can brake since the parts are dry and brittle but what bothers me the most why not be honest and clean since the beginning and let the customer make the decision but no they have this SALES ADVISORS telling us that doing this will definitely solve the problem and to me their just there to SELL wether is parts, service and so on but their knowledge when it comes to repairs is very poor and then this what happens it bites them back.........and then telling a customer that it's fine to drive a car with exposed wires everywhere which can lead to a major accident and it' a fire hazard,a glued connector to the Throttle Body and not returning me my old part!!!!! they know that by LAW in Broward County, Fl you have to give it back to the customer. This Jaguar Dealer they know this is a major law suit that's why they're agreeing to this........... But anyways I guess I'm keeping my KITTY (that's how my daughter call it) as a toy since my husband went ahead and bought me a brand new car for Safety reasons for me and his daughter... and yes knowledge is power, I will definitely will keep learning more about S Type Jag because no matter what I do loveeeee it, it's a hate love relationship with this car 💁🏻😍😩
Excellent day to everyone!!!!!
Thanks Brutal for all you input 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

The following 3 users liked this post by only1gina:
Brutal (10-08-2015), Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-12-2015), Norri (10-08-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 S type 4.2 V8 need some help