S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adjust headlights manually without auto adjust problem?

Old 01-09-2008, 02:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: CAN YOU ADJUST YOUR HEADLIGHTS MANUALLY WITHOUT AUTO ADJUST PROBLEM ?

The dealer was able to do mine but I don't know how. Mine pointed to the ground too. Try and call a dealer service dept. and ask. Maybe they will tell you.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CAN YOU ADJUST YOUR HEADLIGHTS MANUALLY WITHOUT AUTO ADJUST PROBLEM ?

Posted below is a pic of the S-type headlight, there’s two places where(YES) you can manually adjust the headlights yourself. Those would be the two white screws. That little black round thing with the writing on it, would be the self leveling motor. I will check if that is adjustable, I’m planning on putting the car back together today but I will have to wait until it gets dark in order to check to see if the self leveling motor is adjustable? I remember messing around with it but I know if I it is manually adjustable, maybe it can be turned clockwise? I'll give it a shot later and report my findings.

The self leveling feature is cool and all, but it is not necessary,IMO. There self leveling motors seem to be more trouble that it's benefits/pros. There are a few threads on this very subject posted by a few of our newer fellow Jaguar owner's.

Name:  Picture007.jpg
Views: 7265
Size:  75.4 KB

Old 01-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've owned mine since April. When I bought it they were poorly aimed. Left xenon was kind of low and right xenon was too far to the right. high beams were also aimed too low. My little brother played around with them and had them aimed much better. I asked the dealer, who overall has been very good at taking care of me, to tweak his adjustments. They said they found some codes and fixed them. When I got it back both xenons were even but pointed to the ground and I couldnt see sh*t. I did some more research and found out they were supposed to self level. I never had this feature before. My brother played some more and found they were mechanically broken. I took it back to the dealer and they said yes, both were in fact broken and that is covered by SE. However, both sensors were not going to be covered even though they were directly related to each other. This was after waiting over a week and a half for SE to decide they didnt want to pay for it. I didnt necc. mind because I was putting A LOT (250+ a day) miles on their loaner S type which they usually always try to have for me because I dont like the X types ( no offense to all the X type guys out there ). I called up SE and have never heard of a company representitive so unsure of their company and its position in my life. He sounded like he was about to be fired any day and knew the company was in peril. So I paid $505.xx with installation for the sensors, both new headlights, and a few other sensors that were unrelated. This is the 1st time my car has cost me money out of pocket for something that should have been covered under warranty. I pray its the last time too. Now my question is the same, they still seem to point too low on low beams, I tried turning the white screws to adjust them but nothing seems to happen. PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO ADJUST THEM UP!!!!!!!!!! thanks!!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Momo, I'm with you. I really don't see the benefit to the self leveling headlighs. It just makes for something expensive to break downand fix.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I have the same problem with the headlights. New front auto-leveling sensor so they are working properly but still pointing down and the self-adjusting screws do little to make it better. I am ready to scream.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

It depends? Remember the auto leveling is NOT for adjusting your head lights. First you set them like any other headlight up/down and right/left.

The auto leveling is to keep that alignment when the car is loaded or when the suspension moves up and down.

If your manual adjusters are not broken then here is where they are. Try this first.

If that won't work you probably need to do Brutal's screw trick. It only adjust them up and down but rarely are they off very much right/left anyway.

We many threads on here about this. Very cheap and it works great!

Attached Thumbnails adjust headlights manually without auto adjust problem?-headlight-adjustment-s-type.jpg  

Last edited by tbird6; 12-12-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

rklatt- there's plenty of people here ready to help, but creating another thread or bumping yet another old one all on the same topic serves little purpose.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...sensor-108007/

You need to figure out (yes/no) whether your headlights are broken as shown in the video before moving forward..