S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioning blowing hot and cold

Old 05-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

OK - just got the Jag back from the Dealer - they installed a Climate Control Module. Will continue to watch to make sure it works ok and post if I have any problems. Just for those of you who might be interested in cost, etc:

1 XR840134 Module - Air Con..................$1,191.45
Labor............................................. .............142.29
Sales Tax............................................... .......99.78
Total Cost.............................................. .$1,433.52

I am very glad I took out an extended warranty with 5StarWarranty.com when I purchased the Jag - it paid the total cost today - I have a 4 year, 100,000 miles, ZERO deductible warranty. To date, the warranty has paid within $100.00 of the premium I paid - and I have 15 months/28,000 miles left on it. Just posting info in case anyone else has the Climate Control Module problem - or are considering whether or not to purchase an extended warranty.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (09-10-2013)
Old 06-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

OK - sorry for the confusion. After Dealer installed Climate Control Module, I had hot air problem again. I took it back to them and they did the following:

"Found evap temp sensor was stuck reading one temp and would not fluctuate with temperature demand. Replaced evap temp sensor.
1 - XR83729 Sensor-Evaporator."

They did not charge me for this, since they had mis-diagnosed the problem earlier and charged me and the Warranty Company for that. BTW, this took approximately 1 hour labor - at least that is what is shown on the invoice. I hope this helps to explain, Balancr. So far, two weeks after making this repair, I have not had the hot air problem again.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 06-22-2009 at 01:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnBurns:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (09-10-2013), stevestoy (12-31-2013)
Old 06-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth
This is most likely the DCCV (Dual Climate Control Valve). The same as a Lincoln LS (very common and I have changed it on our 2003 LS). It's on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Right next to the radiator and down a bit. Has 3 or 4 hoses going to it and an electrical plug. The solenoids start leaking internally and get corroded and stick. Sometimes running the temperature all the way up to 90 and then back down to 60 will force the system to cycle the DCCV and it might start working properly again for a short time. But it won't stay that way and you must replace it. The DCCV should be about $100-$140. Not too bad to change out. A bit hard to see until you know what your looking at. You need to change your coolant and the thermostat also. You have to partially drain the coolant to change the valve so it's not much extra work. Not servicing the coolant is the major cause of this problem. Although it does seem to happen based on age of the DCCV too. USE THE PROPER COOLANT AS RECOMMENDED BY JAGUAR!!!!!!DO NOT USE ANY "UNIVERSAL" TYPE COOLANT!!!!

Now if you get heat at high speeds but it stops when the engine is at idle. Then the problem is the AUX coolant pump which is mounted directly underneath the DCCV.
.[/align]
I have a similar problem. The a/c works a little bit until the engine is hot and then it blows hot air. I replaced the DCCV and the a/c worked for a few hours and then it went back to blowing hot. Are you saying that if I drain out the coolant and replace it with Jaguar coolant it will fix this problem? That would be nice but I don't see how the coolant would cause this issue.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by WinterJag
Well, the job is pretty easy if you know what to do! First, if you have Nav, the module is behind the glovebox. The glovebox comes out with a few screws and then the module is right behind it. It should have two connectors plugged into it that run back behind the radio/nav screen. If you don't have nav, its the top unit above the cd player and phone pad controls in the center. It has all the climate control buttons on it. To get his out, you have to remove the center trim and then just take out the whole unit. It's only got 4 screws holding it in. Then unscrew the top part (which is the climate control module) and there you go! It's actually quite easy. Now, for replacement parts it depends on which one you have. The module for the non nav system is pretty easy to come by (I actually have an extra one sitting around!) and easy to replace. The one for the nav system is easy to replace too, but harder to find. When I changed mine out, it was plug and play, no dealer programming required. Now, the non nav units aren't that expensive. I think I got the one I have sitting around for about $100. The ones for the nav system (remote climate control module, RCCM) are a little more expensive, IF the guy who is selling it knows what it is! I got mine for $85 because the wrecker I got it from didn't know what it was, just thought it was some little insignificant control module. They can get pricey, as all the other ones I could manage to find were about $500. But, if you don't have nav, don't worry about it! I bet I could change one of these out in about 15 min now, really simple job you should be able to do it. If someone sees something I'm missing or got wrong feel free to correct me!
Is there a way to test this module? I don't want to spend another $500 on my non-working a/c if that is not the problem that I have. Thanks

Old 06-23-2010, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Get your compressor evaluated before you spend any additional money on parts. Ours started to go out in mid-May but didn't become truly noticeable until the 95 degree summer weather arrived. It would cool just fine when temps were in the 70s, struggle in the 80s, and forget about any cooling in the 90s. I haven't had a compressor fail in 25 years, but this one was definitely on its way out....

Old 06-23-2010, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Jon, were you able to get a look at your old compressor? I had mentioned back a month or so ago that Joyces Jag had a light green oil film on the bottom of the compressor.

Yesterday I was driving it around town and the AC blows cold when moving but warms up at idle. I know 2 things: 1) the system is low on refridgerant (most common cause of above) and 2) the system must of had this small leak since we purchased the vehicle in Feb. of 2009, but is the first time that the above happened. I am suspecting a compromised compressor. Since there is no signs of the greenish oil anywhere else.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

Rick,

When I removed the undertray prior to taking the vehicle in for compressor replacement, I eyeballed the original compressor very carefully looking for signs of the green dye placed in the compressor oil for leak traces. I didn't see any, nor did any green stains show up when I wiped that unit down with a clean white paper napkin. These units can fail in different ways - they can leak, as yours appears to be doing, or they can begin to suffer from scroll piston failure, as ours did. Bearings wear out and they begin to lose effectiveness....

Our original compressor sounded normal when the engine was running at idle and the A/C was on full blast. But when I put my mechanic's stethoscope on the casing and listened, that thing sounded like a cement mixer full of gravel. That was the last straw that convinced me that our problem had been properly diagnosed and I had to bite the bullet and replace the compressor. Until then, I was not convinced that our compressor was indeed the issue since you just don't read about these components failing like you do with the DCCV. So after I got over my shock, I had the compressor replaced and the car has been blowing arctic air in these 98-degree days ever since, just like it did last summer....

Drop your undertray, listen to your compressor with a stethoscope, and let me know if it sounds like that infamous cement mixer....

The S-Type and the Lincoln LS use the exact same compressor for the 2005 model year so if you source your own parts and can find a reputable A/C shop that will install them for you and do the 134a recharge (I couldn't find a shop here in Raleigh willing to do that), you may be able to save some serious money. Rockauto.com had the best deal I could find. If you need the part numbers, I may still have them....

Last edited by Jon89; 06-23-2010 at 07:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (09-10-2013), stevestoy (12-31-2013)
Old 06-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
AC blows cold when moving but warms up at idle.
That can be a sign that the cooling fan isn't working as it should.

(There may ALSO be a gas shortage. Can't tell from the above.)

Old 06-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you for your input Jon. I will do so when I get under the car at "Fast Eddies" when I do the tranny sleeve later this month (BTW I am going to use the Mobil 1 ATF). We will not be driving the vehicle for a few weeks so no worries yet.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
That can be a sign that the cooling fan isn't working as it should.
Yesterday it 103 F, the car was maintaining the usual straight up arrow on the dash gauge.

I believe that Mike (Carlem) has the same greenish oil film on his as well........?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Rick, I had a hunch that you might decide to go with Mobil 1 ATF when you felt it was finally time to pull the trigger on that leaking O-ring sleeve. I would probably be willing to take the same risk at this point with our S-Type. Keep us posted on how much of your original fluid you are able to drain out of your system and how the Mobil 1 ATF works for you. Are you also planning on any ATF additives or are you going to stick with 100% Mobil 1?

I still wonder if the Castrol Multi-Import Vehicle ATF product may be a decent choice as well. Castrol lists it as completely meeting the Shell M1375.4 specs that the 6-speed ZF requires, it is probably the most reasonably-priced of all the ATF options that I am aware of, and it is readily available from multiple sources in our neck of the woods. If I had to drain our factory fill of ZF Fluid right now, Mobil 1 and Castrol are probably the two ATFs that I would choose between....

The following users liked this post:
stevestoy (12-31-2013)
Old 06-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Wilsmith:
No changing the coolant will not fix your problem. But using the wrong stuff will lead to other problems in the future.

Also the climate control modules have been repaired. There is a wire trace that burns up and you can replace it. Try some searches to see if you can find the procedure. No one to my knowledge has repaired the remote climate control module. This is used on cars with NAV.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by willsmith11111
Is there a way to test this module? I don't want to spend another $500 on my non-working a/c if that is not the problem that I have. Thanks
The procedures to test the module and DCCV in the car are shown here:
http://jaguarclimatecontrol.com/diagnose/

The following 2 users liked this post by jaguarclimatecontrol:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-27-2013), stevestoy (12-31-2013)
Old 07-13-2010, 05:50 PM

I have the same problem since two years and it's repair.

Now it's repair, the problem was the AC Control Module failure, this piece order to close the trap of the DCCV on both side left and right side, the problem is only one side receitp the command to close the right side.

My mecano cancel the dual climate control and now i have a standard climate , the passenger side could change the temperature but it's not in fuction, he fix the two electrical cables to one side only (the side who accept the command of the AC control Module), and everythig is Ok .

I have cold air in the four air dispaly in the car ,

WOW very good now.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Yesterday it 103 F, the car was maintaining the usual straight up arrow on the dash gauge.

I believe that Mike (Carlem) has the same greenish oil film on his as well........?
It wasn't me Rick. When it was 107 last week I was nice and cool. I actually had to adjust the temperature up to 72 as I was starting to get cold. Getting out of the car was a bit of a shock though.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:06 AM
Received 6,241 Likes on 5,442 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
It wasn't me Rick. When it was 107 last week I was nice and cool. I actually had to adjust the temperature up to 72 as I was starting to get cold. Getting out of the car was a bit of a shock though.
Twas me, we had 110 today and everything is working well for now.
I'll see how it looks and sounds at the next oilchange.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Conditioning blowing hot and cold