S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another head light post...

Old 01-17-2017, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another head light post...

So, I'll give you the full story. Bought my s type r in oct 16, Soon my ballasts and bulbs went out. I changed them and everything was perfect but seems to have some rattling in my headlight assembly. So after install and test everything was perfect. Then, a Few days ago, I was on my way home from work and both lights fell all the way and were pointing straight down. I had already read brutals post so when I got home I attempt to "fix" the headlight issue with the screw method i find out it has already been done. So I do some more research and found nothing. But, On my my work this morning I lost low beams all together. What could be the issue? Maybe the sensors went out? Help please

Old 01-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

With respect to them spotting the deck, you didn't do enough research:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t-have-109123/

With respect to becoming inoperative: I've got halogens in both cars, and as far as I know, no ballast nor need for such. However, the 03 has started having "Lights out" moments just like the "Shoes" on the Naval surface ships used to have "water hours" or go hot-dark-silent whilst performing "BECCEs" and "BDECCE's" but if I fiddle with the left stalk they re-engage. Consequently, I've purchased a new "Multi Function Switch" which I've not yet fitted, but expect it will sort the issue. Yours could be that, or maybe several other possibilities

Last edited by aholbro1; 01-17-2017 at 05:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lburdette0807 (01-29-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 05:45 PM

I have HIDs... that's why I said ballasts. I read every forum to do with headlights. What do you mean

Old 01-17-2017, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

If you already have the Brutal fix and your headlights are pointing at the deck, then you need to take them apart and fit new gubbings as described in the linked post...or replace them with new ones for hundreds, if not thousands $$. I really can't simplify it beyond that. I'm sorry. Maybe someone else can help you out. (SMH that someone could literally read EVERY headlight post and not know this?!?!)

If they've gone out, there are myriad ways that can happen - a fuse, knackered wiring, relays, etc. In my second paragraph, I merely offered you another known failure point not always looked at in the beginning, a failing MFS, which would be (in)operative on either HID's OR Halogens. Now since you have HID's I reckon you can add 4 or 3 additional failure modes to all of that to check out.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:40 AM

Thanks, where do you get replacement "gubbins"? Have not been able to find any so far that work with the Xenon headlights. Also, there is no need to be a keyboard warrior and be rude. Simply am exhausting all options. I just recently became a owner of a str in oct 16. Thanks for your time and help so far

Last edited by Lburdette0807; 01-19-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Good luck.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:24 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 238 Likes on 206 Posts

>Thanks, where do you get replacement "gubbins"?

I just looked up "Jaguar S-Type headlamp parts" on ebay motors and found listings for repair kits:

Jaguar S-type S type headlamp headlight repair kit adjuster 2 SETS + GEARS | eBay

================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star -
He played a mean guitar -
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 01-19-2017, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

Call me rude, if you will, but sheesh! I only said, "SMH" not "SMDH!"You said you'd read every headlight thread on the forum and that your lights had the Brutal fix already and were still droopy. So I suggested no, you haven't because I had the same issue and posted a how-to with pics....so I linked that one for you. Since that didn't take, and bearing in mind your expressed familiarity with Brutal's post, I thought I'd have another go. So I maintain the following posts, ALL culled from the Brutal headlight fix thread are sufficient info to set your droopy HID's right: (unlit is a different problem entirely than what Brutal dealt with here and again I can only point you to the electrical guides available for download in the stickies. Painstaking troubleshooting ahead!) https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...um/report.php?

Ok, too late for tablet-troubleshooting, but this SHOULD have been a list of links to individual posts within Brutal's thread, beginning where the above takes you to his offer to sell refurbs. Keep reading and you'll find links to repair kits for both HID and Halogen, discussions of what is required if they are too far gone for the screw-fix, how to do it, the whole 9 yards. But then, following (and reading) the links within the original link I so rudely left you would've taken you to the same places.

Happy wrenching!

Old 01-22-2017, 07:12 AM

Thanks a lot, I actually didn't see your link initially when I first responded. Must have added it after the edit. Anyhow, I did order the kit for the repair. Sadly it's gonna take me a couple weeks to get them. Jaguar really seems to have screwed up the design of the headlights after reading issues from other Facebook forums. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Lburdette0807; 01-22-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:38 AM
Received 6,239 Likes on 5,441 Posts

Pity you missed the link the first time did you miss the button in aholbro1's post also.
While you are waiting for the kit to arrive maybe it's a good time to post an intro in the new members section. New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
aholbro1 (01-22-2017), Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-24-2017)