S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do i check & change my tranny fluid, & what kind should i use? s-type 3.0

Old 10-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i check & change my tranny fluid, & what kind should i use? s-type 3.0

hi,
i wanted to know if someone can help me and tell me how to check & change my tranny fluid, & what kind should i use? 2001 s-type 3.0

Old 10-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Assuming no filler and dipstick, go to a competent garage having full-flush equipment and get it changed for suitable full synthetic ATF fluid. It will cost, but you are doing the right thing. Doing the job yourself is just possible to a very knowlegeable amateur, but you really need a lift/hoist or a pit, and an expensive machine that can get ALL the old fluid out. Not a job for your average DIYer.

I don't think you've any idea the can of worms you've opened here! This ATF change situation has been all over this website in the past.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 10-07-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Addition.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Change Transmission Fluid

HI Didimurda: I understand your desire to change your transmission fluid yourself. I did change mine. I am a beginner to this forum but not a beginner as a mechanic. The key thing to get right with the transmission is to get the correct fluid level when the fluid temperature is at a set tempertature. You have very much the same thing on any other car. The dip stick has set point for hot and one for cold. This fuss is all caused by the fact that tramsmission fluid changes volumn as it's temperature changes. If you have too much fluid it expands and leaks out on the ground. Sometimes that is harmless, other times it blows seals and they are perminently damaged. If there is not enough fluid the car won't go. The clutches will slip. There won't be enough fluid for the pumps to supply the system. At best the car will be stalled until more fluid is added. Worst case the transmission will over heat, smoking, and maybe burning pumps and valves. The good new is that you can have the wrong amount of fluid by as much as half a liter without any damage.

You must realize that when a guy in his home driveway changes his fluid he is not able to drain out all of the old fluid. There is fluid in the tubing in the radiator core and a small resivoir area. That oil normally doesn't drain out without being flushed. There is a torque converter that cantains fluid. It needs to be drained. It usually is overlooked. So that means you can drain maybe 2/3 of the dirty fluid. I am satisfied with that. If I perodically dilute the old oil with new, and wash the pan and magnets I am quit happy with that. You do need to research the type of fluid to use. It appears to be very important. If you feel like you want to change you own transmission fluid you should not be intimidated. Ask guestions on the Forum and we will help. There is already plenty of help but much of it is confusing and seems to be directed toward intimadating the beginner.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin

There is already plenty of help but much of it is confusing and seems to be directed toward intimadating the beginner
Martin I hope this is not in reference to this site.