S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pedal won't disengage shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Brake pedal won't disengage shifter

I'm trying to shift my car out of park but when I step on the break I can't hear the shiftier disengage anymore. I at one point saw a tiny little bit of smoke come up from the shiftier. I have taken most of the center console apart as you can see. I need some advice. I've included pics of where I'm at now.

How do I fix this?

How do I take the center console apart more so that I can get to the shift linkage?

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails Brake pedal won't disengage shifter-imag0938_zpseb4ccf6f.jpg   Brake pedal won't disengage shifter-imag0937_zps3432d12f.jpg   Brake pedal won't disengage shifter-imag0936_zps1ba8f76c.jpg   Brake pedal won't disengage shifter-imag0935_zps97d711fb.jpg   Brake pedal won't disengage shifter-imag0934_zps2f52f2b1.jpg  

Brake pedal won't disengage shifter-imag0933_zps53a25237.jpg   Brake pedal won't disengage shifter-imag0932_zps77a43b1c.jpg  
Old 02-01-2013, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Search on here will get you it - may even just be in the stickies as it's been explained a couple of times.

One thing to check first is the 2 bolts for the shift cable on the side of the trans. If loose (or dropped out!) you can get this problem. Access from under the car.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

The bolt can work its self loose. Hopefully yours is still on there, but it might have fallen off by this point.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Search on here will get you it - may even just be in the stickies as it's been explained a couple of times.

One thing to check first is the 2 bolts for the shift cable on the side of the trans. If loose (or dropped out!) you can get this problem. Access from under the car.
Thank you for your advise.
I did look this up in previous posts and could only find people with 2000-2002 models that were having this problem. My car is a 2003. Could it also have anything to do with my driving the car with parking break cable disengaged? (Long story don't ask)

Would that bolt explain the burning electrical smell and little puff of smoke that came from the sifter? I'm concerned that it is some sort of short.

Before it stopped working I would have to step on the pedal a few times and shift it out of gear at the right time to get it out. It was making the clicking noise like it was disengaging but then would lock right away. Kinda like if you were to step on the pedal and hold it for a while with out selecting a gear. Now it isn't making the clicking noise at the shifter.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

From your description, certainly sounds like whatever electro mechanical solenoid drives the interlock switch in the shifter, was showing signs of failing, and subsequenly, died.

Not sure if its something you disassemble to replace, or if most people just buy a shifter assembly used?

Someone will probably chime in or search for problems related to this, i'm sure this has been covered somewhere,

Old 02-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

I'd say ignoring a fault like that wasn't your best ever choice

Same idea to release the shifter but realise it's not the wisest idea. It needs a proper fix.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by GT42R
From your description, certainly sounds like whatever electro mechanical solenoid drives the interlock switch in the shifter, was showing signs of failing, and subsequenly, died.

Not sure if its something you disassemble to replace, or if most people just buy a shifter assembly used?

Someone will probably chime in or search for problems related to this, i'm sure this has been covered somewhere,
This is kinda what I was thinking was the problem. As I don't have lift to put the car up in the air and check the linkage for the bolts everyone is talking about, I figure I should start with the shiftier assembly.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the ashtray so that I can remove the shiftier assembly. I can't seem to get to the the two bolts that are under the ashtray.
[IMG][/IMG]

If there is another way to get to it I'm all ears

Attached Thumbnails Brake pedal won't disengage shifter-imag0938_zpseb4ccf6f.jpg  
Old 02-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

couple of questions. with ignition on what gear is illuminated on shfter assembly. If it is any other gear than park then the bolt has problably fallen out. If the P is illuminated then press brake with ignition on and see if the stop lamps come on if they don't then your brake switch is faulty. If the stop lamps come on then your problem would be shift interlock solenoid. which means shifter. the ashtray does not need to be removed. removed 2 screw covers and both screws and tilt ashtray up. then removed 4 T30 bolts. stick flat head screw driver on pass side of shifter and pry out on cable, should pop off. find green connector to shifter and disconnect. gently lift up. 1 small cable will be attached at bottom. be gentle with cable. can break and then you will have troubles.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by JagMaSteR0917
couple of questions. with ignition on what gear is illuminated on shfter assembly. If it is any other gear than park then the bolt has problably fallen out. If the P is illuminated then press brake with ignition on and see if the stop lamps come on if they don't then your brake switch is faulty. If the stop lamps come on then your problem would be shift interlock solenoid. which means shifter. the ashtray does not need to be removed. removed 2 screw covers and both screws and tilt ashtray up. then removed 4 T30 bolts. stick flat head screw driver on pass side of shifter and pry out on cable, should pop off. find green connector to shifter and disconnect. gently lift up. 1 small cable will be attached at bottom. be gentle with cable. can break and then you will have troubles.
how do you remove the two screw covers? You are talking about the little black plastic round things next to the lip of the ash tray correct?

[IMG][/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails Brake pedal won't disengage shifter-f432ee94-2391-4cf7-bcdf-9c27a54c4033_zpsd93f392a.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

yes. With a small flat head screw driver press at edge of round cap and it will lift a the other edge.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Er, did you or your son happen to spill his/hers Coke on the shifter?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by JagMaSteR0917
Well it is 100% the solenoid. I called Jaguar and they don't sell it separate. Can anyone tell me if there is a place that I can get it separate from the assembly other than the junk yard?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts
Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 PM

Or perhaps you would rather have the entire shifter unit - less than $100 with shipping!

03 Jaguar s Type Shift Assembly | eBay

The following users liked this post:
Candy's Kitty (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by cbharley10
Or perhaps you would rather have the entire shifter unit - less than $100 with shipping!

03 Jaguar s Type Shift Assembly | eBay
That is perfect!! It is even close to my house.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Candy's Kitty
That is perfect!! It is even close to my house.
My pleasure, that's what we are all here for!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 08-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interlock Solenoid - 2002 S Type

I've the same problem with a 2002 S Type. It won't shift out of PARK when the brake pedal is pressed. I swapped out the entire J Gate assembly, but to no avail. So not the solenoid (I checked the one I removed by passing a 12v current between pins 9 and 13 on the green connector CA41). On investigation I found that no current reaches the solenoid. The Gear Interlock relay (in the rear power box, in the trunk) is clicking away happily when the brake is pressed, but it doesn't appear to be telling the solenoid about it! There is a connector CA14-12 indicated on the electric layout documentation, but can anyone tell me where this connector is located? It ISN'T the big green connector immediately behind the J Gate, but further back in the car. Any ideas?

Old 08-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

Have you checked the brake pedal switch(es)? And their connector(s) & wiring?

Old 08-05-2013, 05:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the brake lights were working, and that depressing the brake pedal causes the gear interlock relay to click. So it seems the signal is getting through to the relay, but not from there to the solenoid.

I admit I have not "assumed the position" to check the actual brake switch - I'm wondering if I mightn't do myself a serious injury!

PS. Apologies for the double posting. Still getting to grips with Forum etiquette! Determined to get to the bottom of this fault, like a dog with a bone is all!

Old 08-05-2013, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member

Change relay / check wiring and so on. All you can do is work through the parts in a logical manner.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal won't disengage shifter