S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change the headlight / tail light bulbs ?

Old 01-01-2008, 03:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOW DO YOU CHANGE THE HEADLIGHT BULBS, AND TAIL LIGHT BULBS ?

Which light/s do you wish to change? There's the main beam, high beam, turn signal, and I guess it's called a parking light? I took the entire headlights out, but I think you can acces them without having to remove them? You can actually see, in the second pic, where all four lights go.

As for the tailights look here https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_33735/tm.htm

Name:  Picture005.jpg
Views: 4947
Size:  49.9 KB
Name:  Picture006.jpg
Views: 3472
Size:  81.6 KB

Old 01-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

You can't. Sorry!

Old 01-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, he is serious. Is that a major design flaw or what?!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:40 AM

Well I'm still working on upgrading my projectors, so my bumper/headlightsare still off, but if my memory serves me correctly, I would be really hard to access the lights. Mainly because there is very little room to work with, especially with the V8 version. I took about 1 hourto remove the fog lights, grille, bumper, & headlights. This was my first time do this on the Jag, but I like to work on all my cars. I had the instructions that were posted on this thread and I'm no mechanic by any means either.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:57 AM

ORIGINAL: reddrawf

Yep, he is serious. Is that a major design flaw or what?!

Design flaw? Now adays most cars are like this. My daily driver is a honda accord and I had to remove the headlight also when the tun signal burned out. Cars are getting more and more compact making it harder for us to do simple things like changing the motor/tranny oil ourselves.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: frombenz2jag

http://www.keycast.com/keycast/jagua...wnersGuide.pdf

Pg 144 it seems like you do not have to remove the bumper, is this true you dont need to remove the bumper ?
frombenz2jag, according to my manual (2000 S-type) you do NOT have to remove the bumper. The steps in mine seem similar toyours but I've never had to do it, soI can't speak from practice.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed my hi/lo beam bulbs this a.m. on my 2004 S.

You do not need to pull the front bumper to do this. Actually, it was rather simple.

1. Remove the plastic cover across the top, front area above the headlight assemblies.
2. The first bulb connector you see is the turnsignal lamp assembly; turn it 1/4 turn CCW and pull the bulb/connector assembly out of the way.
3. There is a plastic dust cover that is approx. 4" dia on the back side of the headlight assembly. Turn this 1/4" CCW and lift off and out of the way.

Here's the part that gives people trouble. Hint: borrow a small make-up mirror from wife/girlfriend. Slide it down behind the headlight so as to get a good picture of the spring clamp that holds the bulb/connector in place.

4. The spring clamp is bent over to form a tab of sorts. The two ends are placed in metal tabs to act as a hinge or pivot for the clamp. Using a thumb or index finger, press the top corner of the bent portion forward toward you and down at the same time to disengage the clamp from the catch. It really is that simple.

Pull the bulb assembly out and pull the bulb from its holder. Replace bulb and reverse the procedure.

Bepatient, look at the bulb assembly and holding clamp with the mirror before you start and read the instructions above. They will make sense and you DO NOT need to remove the bumper. I replaced both sides in 45 min. It took 35 min for the first bulb and 10 min for the second. And this is the first time I've done this.

These instructions are for the low beam bulbs as they are the most difficult to replace. The others are self-explanatory.

The following 2 users liked this post by mandoman:
emagos (02-04-2019), Mr5000 (10-04-2016)
Old 01-07-2008, 06:11 AM

Wait wait wait... are you asking how to change the bulbs, or the headlamps?? If you're just changing the bulbs you don't have to take the bumper off. You can change the bulbs without doing all that.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: mandoman

I changed my hi/lo beam bulbs this a.m. on my 2004 S.

You do not need to pull the front bumper to do this. Actually, it was rather simple.

1. Remove the plastic cover across the top, front area above the headlight assemblies.
2. The first bulb connector you see is the turnsignal lamp assembly; turn it 1/4 turn CCW and pull the bulb/connector assembly out of the way.
3. There is a plastic dust cover that is approx. 4" dia on the back side of the headlight assembly. Turn this 1/4" CCW and lift off and out of the way.

Here's the part that gives people trouble. Hint: borrow a small make-up mirror from wife/girlfriend. Slide it down behind the headlight so as to get a good picture of the spring clamp that holds the bulb/connector in place.

4. The spring clamp is bent over to form a tab of sorts. The two ends are placed in metal tabs to act as a hinge or pivot for the clamp. Using a thumb or index finger, press the top corner of the bent portion forward toward you and down at the same time to disengage the clamp from the catch. It really is that simple.

Pull the bulb assembly out and pull the bulb from its holder. Replace bulb and reverse the procedure.

Bepatient, look at the bulb assembly and holding clamp with the mirror before you start and read the instructions above. They will make sense and you DO NOT need to remove the bumper. I replaced both sides in 45 min. It took 35 min for the first bulb and 10 min for the second. And this is the first time I've done this.

These instructions are for the low beam bulbs as they are the most difficult to replace. The others are self-explanatory.
Hey, thanks for the steps!! My manual simply says "remove the front cover under the hood".... less than two months after writing my response above,one of my headlight bulbs burned out, so I guess I have to dig under the hood this weekend.

I posted a seperate question in the S type forum regarding my replacement bulbs questions.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:33 AM

hey mando... I replaced the bulbs (or took the dust cover off the replace it) and noticed that the entire light housingis loose...guess I needto replacethe whole friggin fixture now?

Old 02-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kind of a late post on this thread but is this just for replacing OEM bulbs or can you use the same process for HID's? My passenger side headlight went out and I went ahead and ordered my HID kit early since I had planned on swapping to the projector headlights this summer anyway. For now I'm just gonna install bulb and ballast into the factory halogen headlights just so I can have some functioning headlights.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Do you have your owner's manual? There is a section on replacing bulbs. If you don't, try the hyperlink to the owner's manual for your year and model.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Old 02-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe I do- just thought I'd ask just in case. I'm probably going to be trying to access the headlights this weekend. I need to swap out my blown passenger headlight so I got an HID kit for added visibility.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Change the headlight / tail light bulbs ?