S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leakage evident, but where is it coming from?

Old 08-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No longer relevant posting

Last edited by njkat26; 01-30-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: No longer relevant
Old 08-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

It doesn't matter whether the moonroof was "used" (opened and closed) or not. Those drains still collect debris and if they've never been blown clear with an air compressor, I'm betting that will be the source of your interior water on a nearly 10-year-old car.

For our vehicles with moonroofs, I make a point of trying to blow those drains clear at least annually....

Old 08-06-2009, 02:45 PM

No longer a relevant posting.

Last edited by njkat26; 01-30-2010 at 11:05 PM. Reason: No longer relevant
Old 08-09-2009, 02:58 PM

No longer a relevant posting.

Last edited by njkat26; 01-30-2010 at 11:05 PM. Reason: No longer relevant
Old 08-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Based on the test you did I would say that it is the drains. The sunroof drains are there because the car manufacturer knows that all sunroofs leak. There is no way that a sunroof could open and close as a flat panel yet be totally water proof. Take your time and methodically start taking the interior parts out. It is a pain but I'm sure it can be done. Get the drains clean and I'm sure that your problem will go away. Back to the leak. The reason it shows up when you pour water into the track is the drain rapidly fills with water and overflows. Or it could be that a connection somewhere has come loose. The reason it doesn't show up when things are closed is just that there isn't enough water getting in. If you were to set it up to duplicate hours worth of steady rain, I'm sure you would get similar results. Remember that with a pressure hose at the car wash you can get just about any seal to leak, even on a new car, but those are extreme situations. Don't be intimidated by working on your car. I was a little at first when I got mine but the more I dig into it, it is just a car. I find our Dodge Grand Caravan more of a pain to work on than the Jag. And before you chalk up the water issue as a "Jags are crap" issue, let me tell you about my '03 Accord. I got it new and had it for two weeks when I pulled up to a stop light and was freaked out as what seemed like a gallon of water poured from the front of the headliner onto the dash and passenger seat. The dealer said it was probably that something was wrong with the frame and drain system when it was built. They switched out the parts and the leak never came back. Yet, running water over the car with the roof closed never produced a leak. I didn't take it as far as testing the frame channels since it was a brand new car and I just took it to the dealer. Hope this helps change your mind. Don't give up on her just yet. I wasn't so sure I would like mine as much as I do. I really enjoyed my Honda's but got this as an inexpensive way to get a rear drive sedan that could fit the kids. I haven't looked back since.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Oh, BTW, I see you hail from the Garden State! I grew up in Jersey and know of a real good body man. It would mean taking the car out Flemington way, but he is real good. His name is Al Campbell and has worked on our family's cars for years. I'm sure he would do the Jag right and would be less than the dealer.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts
Default Moon Roof Water Leaks

The Moon roof is built a certain way. Once you understand, things will be clearer.

No moon roof is sealed. They are installed with drain pan underneath the entire moon roof panel. As it rains the pan fills up to the point where the 4 drains are covered and the water is drained out of the pan and down the drains. The fact that you did NOT get 4 places where water drained out pretty much show you have one or more drains plugged or obstructed. You should have 4 places where the water drains on the ground. Be sure and do the test with the car as level as possible.

So go back to your test. Find where the water came out in the back on one side. Now find that exact spot on the other side of the car. Either blow it out with compressed air or at least try to rod it out with a piece of wire. Now the drain hose could be unhooked from the pan too. To check the best way is by feel. You didn't find the drain hose so you will need to keep searching around with your hand under the headliner. The front drains I have repaired. This required the removal of the sun visor and the grab handle as well as the front A pillar cover until I could get enough of the head liner down to get my hand up in there. I pulled the hose up with needle nose pliers and then used a small hose clamp to keep the hose from pulling off the metal nipple again.

Try again with the water cup trick and really work at it until you get 4 spots where the water drains on the ground. I prefer to do this with the moon roof open because you can be much more accurate on where you are putting the water.

Good luck but it is not a difficult repair just a bit time consuming until you find it!!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Kind of a shame when somebody double-posts with a problem, 'cause alot of people spend time constructing good answers which end up being redundant.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I second that JTO..