S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between the STR and XJR engines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 09:13 PM
FDR
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Differences between the STR and XJR engines?

I'm shopping around for engines to upgrade the dead motor in my Lincoln and have been looking at supercharged 4.0s and 4.2s. Being that I will have to mix and match parts between whatever engine I try (acessories, brackets, throttle body in particular), this hasn't been a concern until now.

Are there any major differences between 4.2SCs out of XJRs and STRs? I know the LS shares the platform with the S-type so it seems like the STR would be the better way to go, but can anyone tell me if it's significant? Quickly shopping on eBay, I've only come across 4.2s out of XJs and XFs

Thanks

Old 07-14-2015, 10:39 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

No real difference between the 4,2 engines between the S-Type and the X350

Just be aware that the early supercharged engines do not have VVT, however the later models do. 2006MY was the changeover.

The XF 4.2 is essentially the same as the late model STR and XJR (post 2006MY when the VVT was added to the S/C engines)

Old 07-14-2015, 10:52 PM
FDR

I didn't know that about VVT, though it's supposedly easy to disable. The 00-02 LS didn't have VVT (03-06 did) so that works out for me with an 02. Good to know, thanks

Old 07-15-2015, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

If you put in an SC you're going to need to take with it the PCM and other modules I think. The list of "other" may surprise...

Plus the ZF autobox, of course, unless you can find a donor car that doesn't use the ZF.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

The list of "other" may surprise...

Since the LS has the same basic engine compartment as the S-type you will want to get a version of the engine that has the cast aluminum intake that runs down the middle of the engine above the supercharger. The "out the back and to the side" verison engine intake wont fit. The 4.2 SC is coupled to the ZF 6 speed, It has an auxillary trans cooler. There is an auxillary electric water pump and water cooling circuit that cools the supercharger. You will need all of the radiator lines for the SC engine. You will have to figure out a way to run the Jaguar ECM because it ties into the ZF trans's built in transmission control module. The ABS reluctors, and traction control modules are likely needed so the trans and throttle body will work properly. (I'd assume that the ABS control module is programmed differently than the LS's.) I'd wager that the LS instrument cluster wont work and you'de have to use the Jaguar one. I wonder if the Jag "J" gate shifter is needed to support the ZF 6-speed.

Lots of work. $4.5K to $6k for a OK running AJ-34 and ZF trans, plus all the harnesses and accessories, another $2K, You'll have a minumum of $8k into the project + labor.
Probably worth spending $10K to 12K on an STR and scrap your LS.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:30 PM
FDR

Why do I need the ZF? The 5R55_ series is supposed to be fine for 500hp/ft-lbs and was used in Explorers and Mustangs. It's the same bellhousing bolt pattern, right?

I would reuse my LS' cable-driven throttle body (2003 went to electronic)

The 00-02 LS also has a "back and out the side" intake tube (aftermarket tube shown for clarity)

The trans cooler is simple enough to add

The independent SC cooler doesn't seem that big of a deal to replicate

If all that checks out, then I won't need the STR PCM and I'd still be looking at engine+labor. And something about Jag heads having larger coolant channels than Lincolns

Old 07-15-2015, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

The Eaton M112 supercharger sits farther back than your intake. The throttle body is located underheath the windshield cowl at the back of the engine. Search the internet for a picture of the STR engine in the car. The picture I attached shows how far back on the engine the throttle body sits. The throttle body actually protrudes slifhtly behind the back of the block. Probabiliy exists that your cable driven throttle body wont fit the inlet manifold bolt pattern and has a smaller inlet diameter. (Restrictive)

If you think you can use your 5r55 trans, then I suppose you plan on using your original ECM. Are you able to reprogram the fuel trim curves to be able to match what is required to run the AJ34 engine? I doubt very much that LS ECM will properly run the Jaguar engine. AJ34 ECM is programmed to match the shift point in the ZF trans.

Attached Thumbnails Differences between the STR and XJR engines?-20150715_223535.jpg  
Old 07-16-2015, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

FDR. One other thing you need to research. I believe the firing order may be different between your 3.9 engine and the 4.2L. I don't have time to confirm right now.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:41 AM
FDR

I have little point of reference for the SC spacing, but I'll take your word for it for now. Yes, I want to reuse the LS ECM. If I can't, then it's just not worth hacking up the car *that* much. I assume the ECM can be remapped enough to work considering there have been several boosted LSes that ran the stock retuned ECM, but that is something that I will have to contact a tuner to check.

If I can't physically fit the SC, then replacing the bottom end would open up the door to a [somewhat reliable] turbo option but strengthening the internals and lowering the compression.

As far as firing order is concerned, they are the same, just numbered differently, which was pointed out to me in the XJ section I posted to, thinking I was limited to pre-2002.5 4.0Ls. 2002.5+ Jag puts 1/3/5/7 on one bank, 2/4/6/8 on the other. Ford puts 1-4 on one, 5-8 on the other (matching the red numbers on this diagram).

Old 07-16-2015, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I think you'll find no-one can alter the (LS) PCM anything like enough to use it for the SC engine. You'd need to add entire new logic for such as IAT2.

BTW the LS & S-Type diverged at the point the 4.2 engine was introduced (2002.5MY). New suspension, lots of metalwork, moved to CAN, changed PCM to Denso, changed autobox to ZF, cluster changed, fibre optic network added, new immo, etc.

The SC vesion (i.e. STR/XJR) has dual fuel pumps, too. New logic for that and an extra fuel pump module.

As I recall, the LS uses 2-pin COPs (and I suspect different spark plugs) so you'll need a plan for what to do about the 4-pin COPs on the newer engine. You'll need plugs+COPs that manage to spark properly under boost.

I don't know whether the injectors changed.

You'll have some challenging loom/connector issues, too, e.g. for the PCM.

I don't know what if any effect the lower compression, off boost, of the SC engine has on the PCM.

---

What you might be better doing is to swap the block but stay NA. See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...63/#post177881

There's this, too, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-17/xk8-37036/

Last edited by JagV8; 07-16-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

If he has to stay with a N/A engine, then I would use the Rover 4.4L LR3 engine. Close to 300HP, lots of torque. Unfortunately, a good running, lower mileage, AJ-V8 4.4L Rover engine costs close to $6K. For some reason they add $2K to the price because it is a "Range Rover"

Old 07-16-2015, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

FDR. Forgot to ask if you have visited the "LVC" Lincoln Versus Cadillac forum. The topic of putting Jaguar or other Ford Engines in the Lincoln LS has been a hot topic for many years. There is currently a live thread on trying to put in a 4.6L Ford into the LS and the thread has migrated to a discussion on putting in a Jaguar engine.

It is a sad story, but the majority of the DEW98 based cars, will end up being recycled. The design of this platform is so highly integrated and the overall production numbers were never high enough to have performance aftermarket parts designed and sold.
If you decide to rebuild an engine, be aware that only stock factory parts are somewhat available. Ford/Jaguar never made oversize pistons. Bearings are only available in stock graded sizes. If your crank is out of spec, you have to purchase a new one, or grind and then purchase custom bearings. There are only a few new long blocks available in the USA and dealers are asking premium prices.

I am slowly, and I mean slowly, building an AJ-34 SC engine, with the goal of 600+HP. (Can be done - AVOS has already hit 600HP on his rebuild) It took me 9 months to get my block sleeved and bored to 92mm. Now that I have the block, I will need custom pistons/rings, rods, bearings. It will take at least another 6 months to get all the parts I need custom fabricated. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would take so long to rebuild an engine! Is is taking so long that I purchased a used running 4.2L STR engine to put in my 03 STR in the meantime.

Last edited by Tijoe; 07-16-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Correst spelling errors.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:40 PM
FDR

Let me start off by saying I apologize if I seem dense about this. I don't have the blocks sitting in front of me and information is limited. I really am trying to learn and understand where the problems are. Upgrading the engine (beyond exhaust and tune) was something I intended to review over the next few months (years?). The spun bearing threw a wrench in that and has caught me unprepared. At this point, I'm almost definitely going with a stock 3.9 to get the car back on the road, but keep the bad engine for reference.

Originally Posted by JagV8
I think you'll find no-one can alter the (LS) PCM anything like enough to use it for the SC engine. You'd need to add entire new logic for such as IAT2.
There has been 1 SC (Eaton M90 with custom intake manifold) and a few turbos, but I think the SC was under 10psi and the turbos under 7. I think the STR goes up to 13 something

BTW the LS & S-Type diverged at the point the 4.2 engine was introduced (2002.5MY). New suspension, lots of metalwork, moved to CAN, changed PCM to Denso, changed autobox to ZF, cluster changed, fibre optic network added, new immo, etc.

The SC vesion (i.e. STR/XJR) has dual fuel pumps, too. New logic for that and an extra fuel pump module.

You'll have some challenging loom/connector issues, too, e.g. for the PCM.
That's only a problem if the sensors are not physically interchangeable with Ford's. It's also pretty popular to swap in Ford GT fuel pumps (the supercar, not Mustang) into just about every performance Ford. Quik LS (supercharged) installed one. There's a range of flowrates depending on pressure, but a single GT at 40psi should be in the range of 115gph/400lph. How much does the STR's dual setup flow?

As I recall, the LS uses 2-pin COPs (and I suspect different spark plugs) so you'll need a plan for what to do about the 4-pin COPs on the newer engine. You'll need plugs+COPs that manage to spark properly under boost.

I don't know whether the injectors changed.
What's the extra 2 pins for? I've been told I'd need to find colder sparkplugs to reduce preignition. Injectors are normal Ford Modular injectors, so there are Mustang options available.

I don't know what if any effect the lower compression, off boost, of the SC engine has on the PCM.
It would probably run with less power than the 3.9. I wouldn't run the SC crank without a boosted setup

What you might be better doing is to swap the block but stay NA. See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...63/#post177881

There's this, too, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-17/xk8-37036/
I've read through the swap thread before which just encourages me. I'll read the XK thread now.

There was an LS in Poland that had low compression. Being that the LS was never exported (though there were plans to do so initially), the guy couldn't feasibly fix his 2001 LS with an LS engine, so he mixed and matched 4.0 parts and made it work, which is also encouraging. The 3.9 was also running LPG before it went...

Lincoln LS 2001 3.9 swap to jag 4.0 with VVT

To summarize, he used the block, heads, internals, and one pair of camshafts form the 4.0. Intake, exhaust, accessories and mounts come from the Lincoln.

Originally Posted by Tijoe
FDR. Forgot to ask if you have visited the "LVC" Lincoln Versus Cadillac forum.

There is currently a live thread on trying to put in a 4.6L Ford into the LS and the thread has migrated to a discussion on putting in a Jaguar engine.
Compare my avatar here to LSFrank's I've been thinking about changing it to FDR there to match here and HIDPlanet. To be honest, seeing you frequently on LvC sort of "inspired" me to go the other way and join a Jaguar forum.

If CammerFE has faith in the 4.2, then so do I (or at least with Jaguar swapping in general). He has a 4.2SC sitting around

Originally Posted by Tijoe
It is a sad story, but the majority of the DEW98 based cars, will end up being recycled. The design of this platform is so highly integrated and the overall production numbers were never high enough to have performance aftermarket parts designed and sold.
Well aware

Old 07-23-2015, 11:23 PM
FDR

Ok, so I contacted Torrie at Unleashed. I asked about the possibility of the LS' PCM not having wide enough settings to work with the Jag SC motors. He says he's tuned other supercharged LSes, so he doesn't see why he wouldn't be able to make it work. Now obviously, that doesn't mean it *will* work, but it's another item that doesn't have a definite "no"

A few questions. I'd like to relay some info to him to get some reassurance the SC's needs can be met.

How much air flows (or how much airflow does the MAF read) at WOT at redline?

How much fuel does the STR's pumps pump per hour?

How much boost does the STR reach? 13-14PSI?

What's the range of spark timing (I guess relative to TDC)?

Old 07-23-2015, 11:44 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The MAF rate in my XJR peaks at around 360 g/s, my understanding is that the actual MAF is the same measuring range regardless of engine type (i.e. they are interchangeable).

Fuel pumps in the STR are probably the same spec as the XJR. Note that the supercharged cars have two pumps, the N/A have a single only.

See below:

13psi is the expected "stock" boost.

Spark timing is all over the place, you could have up to +50º at a steady light-throttle cruise. But to make an engine "run" a lot less could be used.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:19 AM
FDR

Thanks for finding that bit of info for me. There's so many sections here it's hard to find info without the right terms/memory. There's only one LS section at LvC and it shares almost nothing with the other models on the board.

I don't know if spark timing and airflow make a difference; I was just trying to think of readings and parameters that could exceed my PCM

I wonder why they used 2 pumps instead of a single upgraded pump? Better fuel pickup consistency in hard turns by having two pickup points?

I'm finding that a single GT pumps ~350LPH @ 70psi (4.8bar), which is about double the XJR's 180lph. Even a single 03 Cobra pump would roughly match the XJR.

So the project still has hope

Old 07-24-2015, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

>I wonder why they used 2 pumps instead of a single upgraded pump? Better fuel pickup consistency in hard turns by having two pickup points?

Close. The gas tank has a hump in the middle to clear the driveshaft.
Therefore the car effectively has 2 separate gas tanks. The standard single fuel pump system has a fuel pick-up in each tank and uses a somewhat complex fuel line routing to proportionately balance the fuel level in each tank. I assume that Jaguar decided that the gas flow required for the STR engine exceeded what the single pump system can deliver, so they put in a second separate pump and controlling electronics. There are numerous aftermarket dual pump systems available. In either case, if you decide to use a single or dual pump approach, you will have to remove the gas tank.

I removed my gas tank 3+ years ago and put in a Wilbro high flow pump for my conversion project. It was a lot more work than I expected. I increased the gas line diameter and replaced a lot of the funky corrugated flex lines.
There were internal and external cross over lines. This ended up being a big project in itself. I am still not happy with how it turned out, and may end up putting in a second pump, just to get rid of all the extra fuel lines.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:31 AM
FDR

Just searched for images. Looks like a friggin A-Wing...

Old 07-25-2015, 03:29 PM
FDR

Ah, so I already have two pumps, it's just that the second pump normally pumps gas from the fill/passenger side to the main pump/driver side. In the STR, it pumps gas from both sides to the engine. The non-R waits for the driver/main side to be [nearly] empty before pumping from the passenger side.

So in theory, I should be able to upgrade the main pump and leave the other one alone. Unless it turns on too late and can't keep up with the drain rate. I doubt I'd be at full throttle for long... but I can see the complication. I wonder if that's something a tune could adjust?

Or, you know, dual GT pumps with a dedicated transfer pump. MAXIMUM TRANSFER. lol