Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drain locations

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 136 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Drain locations

I have a 2005 S-Type and have 2 water leaks , that in reading the forum I have learned where they are from. One is the common mention of behind the driver's seat and the other is just in from of the passenger c-pillar below the light/handle. Obviously both of these are coming from the sunroof drains on the rear being dirty. the driver's side one is more profuse.

I have All-data and they go into an extensive discussion of how to replace the drain lines, but no indication of where to see the rear drain openings by the sunroof. Can some be kind enough to tell me where they are and how do i find them. if they are clogged, where generally does the clog ac cur (near the opening or father back. Is it better to use a wire or compressed air or both and how careful do I need to be to keep from pushing off the attached hose.

Thanks greatly.

Tom in Dallas

Old 05-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunroof drains

I realize this is an older thread , but rather than start a new one I thought ir prudent to add my question here...

Can someone tell me where the sunroof drains are on the s-type? 2007 , if that matters. I cannot locate them on my car. Sunroof leaks a little bit and I suspect they have never been cleared out. I just bought the car recently.

Thank you in advance, Greg

Old 05-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Default Drain Locations

Originally Posted by greg72
I realize this is an older thread , but rather than start a new one I thought ir prudent to add my question here...

Can someone tell me where the sunroof drains are on the s-type? 2007 , if that matters. I cannot locate them on my car. Sunroof leaks a little bit and I suspect they have never been cleared out. I just bought the car recently.

Thank you in advance, Greg

Perhaps these will help. Are you sure it is not the installation/seal of the sunroof?

Tom in Dallas
2005 S-Type 3.0 66K

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rear drains.pdf (190.7 KB, 480 views)
front drain.pdf (136.3 KB, 409 views)
The following users liked this post:
greg72 (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, thank you! this will get me headed in the right direction. I think the seal is okay ...it looks to be in good shape and the glass sits evenly when closed. also the leak is very minor...at least for now. lol

-Greg

Old 05-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Blowing out the drain hoses with compressed air usually resolves the drainage issues. Judging from the posts I read on the subject last August/September when I had a clogged drain to deal with, it is usually the rear drains that clog and cause the problem. In my case it was the right rear drain. Getting to the drain location requires pulling down the headliner on that particular side, so take your time and note the required steps in sequence so you can more easily get everything put back together properly once you've cleared your clogged drain(s). When I finally reached the drain hose connection above the headliner and pulled it off its nozzle, blowing it clear with the air compressor took maybe five seconds....

Old 05-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by greg72
Tom, thank you! this will get me headed in the right direction. I think the seal is okay ...it looks to be in good shape and the glass sits evenly when closed. also the leak is very minor...at least for now. lol

-Greg
Greg:

Glad it helps. I once thought I had a leak due to the drains and it was not that at all. Where is the water coming from and ending up in the car?

Tom in Dallas

Old 12-23-2023, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternative way to unclog the rear drains.

Originally Posted by Jon89
Blowing out the drain hoses with compressed air usually resolves the drainage issues. Judging from the posts I read on the subject last August/September when I had a clogged drain to deal with, it is usually the rear drains that clog and cause the problem. In my case it was the right rear drain. Getting to the drain location requires pulling down the headliner on that particular side, so take your time and note the required steps in sequence so you can more easily get everything put back together properly once you've cleared your clogged drain(s). When I finally reached the drain hose connection above the headliner and pulled it off its nozzle, blowing it clear with the air compressor took maybe five seconds....
Very old post, but still this may be convenied for S-type drivers (with sunroof obviously). I located the drain tubes behind the side panels in the trunk, cut them and inserted a piece of aluminium tube (about 5 cm, 10 mm diameter) in both ends. Whenever I have clogging of the rear drains again, I just have to go behind the panel, disconnect the tube, unclog it with compressed air a d connect the tube again.