Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DYI 2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 V6 Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DYI 2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 V6 Repairs

Hello everyone,

I am still fairly new to forums and do not know if this is the correct way to do this. I usually come on here searching for answers to help guide me on repairing my 2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 V6. I am currently working on getting my car running smooth again but have been running into some issues. I've noticed that a lot of the posts,guides,repairs, etc, that I find are usually referring to
S-Type R's which are not the same when it comes to changing out spark plugs. I am sure that there are others who come to this site seeking assistance with other issues for this year make and model but do not have as much luck finding help as the other model owners do.

Here is my current issue...

I was driving home from my sister in law's birthday dinner and noticed that my car started acting up. On the dashboard, I saw the engine light cut on, restricted performance, and my car started to vibrate. I went to the nearest auto parts store and used the scanner they had to see what came up. I attached a picture and a video (sorry for it being sideways) showing what the scanner found. Does anyone know whether I need to replace the spark plugs and if so how do it? I have done oil changes, rotations, rotors, purchased and installed new tires, changed the thermostat and upper radiator hose along with the coolant expansion tank, and now I want to tackle this job. What tools and items will I need and how do I complete this? I hope that this is not too much to ask for and I thank you for reading this.

Attached Thumbnails DYI 2005 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 V6 Repairs-image1.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video.MOV (1.81 MB, 74 views)
Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

P0702 is a low voltage condition resulting in restricted performance.
You should download the codes either complete with JTIS or as a PDF both available on the site.
You will also find all the info for plug changes etc in the S Type stickies.
Maybe it's time for your new member intro in the new members section also?

Last edited by Norri; 01-10-2017 at 05:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ariez91 (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will take a look at the new members section later today. Thank you for the response.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:25 PM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Were you driving in the rain when the CEL light came on? Or had gone through car wash with underbody wash cycle?

Old 01-17-2017, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Vibration likely due to ecm limiting engine to 3k rpm, rather than a spark plug issue. During restricted performance, it gets pretty rough and shaky if you don't feather the throttle to keep turns below 3k. With it being a gearbox code, could be it was holding you in lower gears, thus contributing to the "above 3k" issue, too.

Plug change on the 3.0L is not too big of a deal. You'll want to have new upper intake gaskets on hand/ lowers too if you are feeling frisky, but I can't think of any good reason to remove the lower unless you are chasing a combined Po171/174 you can't find. First make a good inspection of your cam-covers looking for oil leaks. If you are leaking, may as well obtain cam-cover and spark plug well gaskets/seals before you start.

If no leaks, probably not necessary, though you may find a spark plug well or two full of oil and then you'll wish you had. You need to pull the upper intake manifold to get to the plugs on the RHS. This means taking lots of pics of wire harness and vacuum line routing and bracket-fixing so you can get it all back together properly. Also plan to replace the IMT o-rings (see Rick's excellent how-to's - long form, I think if you are doing plugs too) if you haven't already. Couple of vacuum line fittings, one on the back of intake and one on front bottom of intake that are real bitter ex-wives to remove.

Once Intake is out of the way, pull the coils, renew the plugs, refit all the gubbings in reverse order of removal and "Bob's yer Uncle!"

I don't recall a 3.0L plug tutorial off-hand, but a look at several of Rick's posts (IMT and Vacuum line routings) plus a gander at my Cam Cover one should set you on the right track.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

Here is youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVR1Or8xZQE

Last edited by Norri; 01-18-2017 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Edited link
Old 01-18-2017, 03:33 PM
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I've done coils, plugs, upper and lower intake gaskets , IMT o rings, and cam cover gaskets on my 2003 3.0 and may I strongly suggest the Jaguar shop manual officially known as JTIS for the S Type.

It will tell you bolt tightening sequences, what torque values to tighten bolts to, etc

I picked up a CD copy from eBay, I think it was $14 US, well worth it.

Also, one piece of advice: when you take off the intake, remove the brake booster line from the actual brake booster, ( it simply pulls out, its like a barb fitting), and leave the other end intact at the rear of the intake, you'll be glad you did!

Old 01-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

Or you can go to this sticky which has a link for a free version

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...archive-66031/

Last edited by Norri; 01-18-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Edit link
The following users liked this post:
Norri (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Oops! I always take it for granted that members have availed themselves of all the great benefits of this forum. Good catch in suggesting JTIS......but I still stand by my advice to take pics if he's renewing cam-cover gaskets. lots of brackets to refit.... and wiring loom tiedowns...when I was doing my third the other day....I was wishing I had the other S-type handy to copy, but it was in MS.

And I just remembered this one if you are pulling the intake manifold off - won't have a problem unless you upend it and have some isolators fall out....but still: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...itment-174932/

Last edited by aholbro1; 01-18-2017 at 10:45 PM.