Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Fault and Deciphering P-codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:52 AM
jar
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thought I'd close this one.

Unfortunately, I've got no pics of my gasket install exercise - was too cold to be messing around much.

The intake boot and cast snorkel are definitely the most difficult part of this task.

The gasket replacement was straight forward, pay attention to were the little rectangular pads are on the gasket so you achieve the proper starting point for the install of the "racetrack" gasket around the cover itself.

I also ended up replacing the #3 coil. I replaced the gasket, and the car was still running rough. Cleared all codes with my OBDII scanner (jag was in the list of cars!!?!?), ran it until new code (~5 miles), scanned again verifying misfire on #3. Cleared codes. Swapped #3 with #1. Ran until code again. Misfire moved with coil to #1. Bad coil.

One note on the coils. While easy to replace, I had to order the part from any of the local auto parts guys. In doing so, I found out that the price of the coil varied from $53 to $100. I tried Pep Boys, Autozone, O'Rielly's, and Advanced Auto (I do not have a NAPA nearby). The coil my '03 S type R was of the 4 blade terminal type. I purchased from Advanced for $53.

With new coil, and new gaskets....car runs well and no yellow lights on the dash, woot!! Knock on wood.....

Brutal, I also followed the accelarator sequence outlined above. Is there anyway to verify such was beneficial - other than the obvious that the car seems to be running with little to no issue, throttle control included?

Kind Regards

Old 12-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Let's hope it's fixed and stays so!

Old 01-21-2012, 04:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

. just found your site . i have a 1999 stype 3 litre which has a bad misfire . no engine light showing . ive replaced the coils and plugs probably 5 years ago . it did have an engine light on then and replacing the coils cured the fault. my question is if a coil pack if breaking down do you always get an engine light on ...regards Bleunose england

Old 01-21-2012, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member

Not until it's so bad and reproducible that the PCM can flag it.

And... not at all (as in not ever) if the PCM can't go CL (closed loop). So you can destroy cats etc, though it's rare.

Remember to post an intro in the New Member section

Old 01-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,762 Posts

Jar;
Good trouble shooting and it shows how many codes can be thrown that really don't point to the problem. Get the basics done right, clear all codes and see what comes back.

Any part number from Advance on that coil? I did not know they were available aftermarket?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by bleunose
. just found your site . i have a 1999 stype 3 litre which has a bad misfire . no engine light showing . ive replaced the coils and plugs probably 5 years ago . it did have an engine light on then and replacing the coils cured the fault. my question is if a coil pack if breaking down do you always get an engine light on ...regards Bleunose england
well 5 yrs is along time in the life of a part. I meen we replace failed parts all the time under warranty that were new less than 4 yrs ago..... a misifre on a cylinder will generally not show up for 1000's of misfires as a CEL. You need a scanner that will show misfire counts(number of misfires per cylinder) A jag dealer that has a Genrad handheld scanner will do it and some like Snap On etc will but without this and no CEL youll be guessing

The following users liked this post:
bleunose (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply. i work in engineering as a manager overlooking 2 factories. we produce fuel systems for the aircraft industry. my role is looking after all the machine tools . i am a great believer when fault finding in getting to root causes of faults and then putting in fixes if possible so it doesnt happen again. ive had a couple of issues with the engine before so i will investige getting the correct tools to diagnose the fault before i change to many things . its difficult i know to nail faults unless you have some experiance on that fault before

Old 01-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Remember not to expect aircraft reliability at car part prices

The later cars have redesigned coils. They may be a bit more reliable but still operate under horrid stresses.