S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering column locked

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 07:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering column locked

Hello, I have a Jaguar S Type 2000 MY. The car was running fine and we had to disconnect the battery and remove the center trim as the plastics were all damaged and we were looking to attach a leather skin on top of it. Once that was all done and after refitting, the car is now not able to start. In the instrument cluster it says "STEERING COLUMN LOCKED". I tried shaking the steering lock a bit while inserting the key and it did not work. When I came across a few forums they mentioned that key programming may solve it and so I removed the instrument cluster and programmed keys on a bench by reading data from MCU. But still then my problem was not solved. When I diagnosed it, ECU gave a fault code "P1260 THEFT DETECTED -ENGINE DISABLED". Can anyone help me with this issue? Or is there any way to bypass this issue and start the car? This car key is not a flip type one but a separate type with remote separate. Remote is working fine.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:11 AM
Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

Of course, first thing to check is the condition of your battery.

Old 08-05-2023, 10:46 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Since ALL North American S-Types did NOT have a locking steering column, I can't think of anything to help.

I do know that when we fitted a NEW INSTPK at the dealer, we were instructed to enter NO when the configure screen asked STEERING COLUMN LOCK FITTED?

Jaguar emphasized that failure to answer correctly would result in a PERMANENT display of "STEERING COLUMN LOCKED".(Jaguar would not accept return or compensate for your mistake)

I always answered NO when I fitted a NEW INSTPK so I never saw the "STEERING COLUMN LOCKED" message.

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
kr98664 (08-05-2023), S-Type Owner (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

I believe the OP is in GB, as a similar post was made on the "other" Jaguar forum. Their cars do come equipped with steering column locks and "deadlocking". Oh, joy, let the "fun" begin...

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (08-05-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
I believe the OP is in GB, as a similar post was made on the "other" Jaguar forum. Their cars do come equipped with steering column locks and "deadlocking". Oh, joy, let the "fun" begin...
Is there anyway to bypass this system or do immo off? I tried programming two keys too for this car and still then I'm getting the same error. I tried to do immobilization using JLR IDS V125 but it says "Error : mode or command not supported". May be the car is in safe mode or locked mode?

Old 08-07-2023, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

I found this on the topic:

Your ignition key has a chip in it called a transponder that is read by the PATS transceiver (mounted around the ignition cylinder housing behind the column shroud). The signal is then sent to the PATS control module, which communicates with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and enables the vehicle to start.
When an incorrect signal is received, the PATS module then sends this message to the PCM which triggers the P1260 trouble code, resulting in a no start condition. Possible causes are: an incorrect key being used, faulty key chip (transponder), wiring concerns between the transceiver module and PATS module, the transceiver module itself or internal PATS or PCM module concerns. The first thing to do in this instance is retrieve codes from the PATS module and diagnose these. Once the PATS issues have been resolved you can reset the P1260.

So to clarify: This is not about your remote - this is about your transponder, which looks like a little pill, which is incorporated in the "grip" of your key. Did you use another key then normally? Did you try all the keys you have? This transponder has no / needs no battery, just to save your time wondering.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
I found this on the topic:

Your ignition key has a chip in it called a transponder that is read by the PATS transceiver (mounted around the ignition cylinder housing behind the column shroud). The signal is then sent to the PATS control module, which communicates with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and enables the vehicle to start.
When an incorrect signal is received, the PATS module then sends this message to the PCM which triggers the P1260 trouble code, resulting in a no start condition. Possible causes are: an incorrect key being used, faulty key chip (transponder), wiring concerns between the transceiver module and PATS module, the transceiver module itself or internal PATS or PCM module concerns. The first thing to do in this instance is retrieve codes from the PATS module and diagnose these. Once the PATS issues have been resolved you can reset the P1260.

So to clarify: This is not about your remote - this is about your transponder, which looks like a little pill, which is incorporated in the "grip" of your key. Did you use another key then normally? Did you try all the keys you have? This transponder has no / needs no battery, just to save your time wondering.

Yes I had programmed the CHIP which is present in the key and even then I'm facing the same issue.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:32 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

Turn the IGN key to ON and watch the PATS lamp on the top of the dash.
Light will FLASH a numerical code.

Page from my student guide training manual.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PATS_Diagnostics.pdf (886.2 KB, 60 views)
S-Type Owner (08-07-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 08:45 AM

My problem is solved now and my car started. Thank you all for helping me out.

Old 08-08-2023, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Can you let us now, what the problem was? How did you solve it?

Old 08-08-2023, 08:54 AM

I got in touch with a guy who made a YouTube video regarding this. That person turned off ELV in the data in my instrument cluster which made bypass of the ELV in my car. After doing this the car started without doing any programming or coding.

kr98664 (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

OK. As there is very little about that topic in the internet I assume many people will try to understand your reply above in the future.
To avoid that everybody else has to spend now 10 minutes to to find all the answers, which arise from your explanation, here are at least some of the answers:
ELV stands for Elektrische Lenkungsverriegelung, which is German for Electric Steering column lock.
And to get an idea of what that looks like:

That's what a ELV/ESL looks like on a Mercedes.

That's where the ELV/ESL is located on a Jaguar S-Type.

That's what the actual ELV/ESL looks like on a Jaguar S-Type.

The following 3 users liked this post by Peter_of_Australia:
JagV8 (08-09-2023), motorcarman (08-09-2023), S-Type Owner (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

I totally forgot, what I wanted to write in the first place - as many people would now watch that video above (which DOCKERS linked) again and again wondering, if that is the correct video link to start with, at it does not say anything about steering wheel lock...: So to save all those, who would otherwise watch that video in a continuous loop waiting for heavenly inspiration of what it may mean:
It means nothing...: You will find in the comments of that video the question: "What is the actual point of this video?????" and the maker of the video replied: "It's just video after reprogram instrument cluster. Before reprogram it shows steering column locked when power on"
So the video contains no information, it is just meant to show, that he fixed his problem without telling anyone, how.
Thus, now the maker of the video and DOCKERS know "how", because he/she asked the video-maker via email about the "how".
Maybe DOCKERS could write here the "how" for future reference, when someone else hits that problem...
Or is it meant to remain a secret? I mean it is possible that it would be better, if no one knows about this, as this might be something car-thieves might use to steal a Jag...?

PS: Fun fact: Oh, plus there is a third person, who would know the answer, the "how": Roger M. (I know his full name - but maybe that is NOT something, which should be common knowledge)! From my time working for Ford and Jaguar I know that Roger M. was - at the time when the X and S-Type were developed - the "residential car-"thief"" paid by Ford/Jaguar. It was his job to try to overcome the installed Jag/Ford security measures. If it would take him longer than a certain amount of time, the security system would have passed this "test" - I think the time was 5 minutes - I think, if it would take him more than 5 minutes to crack it, it would be deemed OK/save enough.

That's an odd job, isn't it? Trying to steal cars, getting paid for it, and not doing anything illegal at the same time... !?

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 08-09-2023 at 09:48 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 08-10-2023, 07:59 AM

I totally forgot, what I wanted to write in the first place - as many people would now watch that video above (which DOCKERS linked) again and again wondering, if that is the correct video link to start with, at it does not say anything about steering wheel lock...: So to save all those, who would otherwise watch that video in a continuous loop waiting for heavenly inspiration of what it may mean:
It means nothing...: You will find in the comments of that video the question: "What is the actual point of this video?????" and the maker of the video replied: "It's just video after reprogram instrument cluster. Before reprogram it shows steering column locked when power on"
So the video contains no information, it is just meant to show, that he fixed his problem without telling anyone, how.
Thus, now the maker of the video and DOCKERS know "how", because he/she asked the video-maker via email about the "how".
Maybe DOCKERS could write here the "how" for future reference, when someone else hits that problem...
Or is it meant to remain a secret? I mean it is possible that it would be better, if no one knows about this, as this might be something car-thieves might use to steal a Jag...?

PS: Fun fact: Oh, plus there is a third person, who would know the answer, the "how": Roger M. (I know his full name - but maybe that is NOT something, which should be common knowledge)! From my time working for Ford and Jaguar I know that Roger M. was - at the time when the X and S-Type were developed - the "residential car-"thief"" paid by Ford/Jaguar. It was his job to try to overcome the installed Jag/Ford security measures. If it would take him longer than a certain amount of time, the security system would have passed this "test" - I think the time was 5 minutes - I think, if it would take him more than 5 minutes to crack it, it would be deemed OK/save enough.

That's an odd job, isn't it? Trying to steal cars, getting paid for it, and not doing anything illegal at the same time... !?

I checked the motor and switch in that steering lock that you mentioned before. Everything was working fine and there was no wiring related issues. When I googled about my problem I came across that person in YouTube and got in touch with him. He asked me to send me the data of Instrument cluster where the immo and chip related information are stored. In my data, ELV was present which was not allowing me to start the car by displaying "STEERING COLUMN LOCKED". So using my car's original data, that person just turned off ELV and bypassed the ELV that is present in the car. After uploading back the data to the instrument cluster and fitting it back to the car, it was like there is no ELV present in the car and the car engine started running ignoring the ELV. In simple terms what we did was that we made the car think that there was no ELV in car and the car started perfectly fine. Still the transponder and everything is working fine but the only thing is that the steering lock system will not work. Since this is like a Vintage car, customer was fine with this job. And BTW, there is nothing illegal in this because it is customer's own car and he gave us full permission by any means to start the car.

Last edited by DOCKERS; 08-10-2023 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:27 AM
Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

Member of Densa here... so, the issue on UK cars is that they actually have a steering lock so when this error strikes, the car really locks. But with a USA variant (which does not have a steering lock), when this error strikes there is an annoying message, but the car still runs?

Old 08-10-2023, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

Hello, member of the ""Diversely Educated Not Seriously Affected"...
Good one - initially I thought, this is a real organisation... - but it's just the "dense" version of MENSA...

Dockers wrote in the initial thread-starter post that the "car is now not able to start". So apparently, while not locked in the US, it still does not start...
The explanation of the solution, which Dockers found out, amazed me. High tech: Downloading data from instrument cluster and uploading a modified version thereafter.
I could not do that. So if you do not have a steering wheel lock in the US, that sound reasonable.
However, I wonder, what would happen, if someone would try that e.g. in the UK, where the steering wheel look is installed: Worst case horror scenario would be that the system is no longer aware of the existence of a steering wheel lock, but with the lock actually being present and playing up, maybe it could lock while you are driving?

PS: I was just thinking: How comes that there is no steering wheel locks in US cars? I mean, they are there for a reason in the UK and other countries.
Is it, because w/o steering wheel lock there would be less entertainment on prime TV (police chases)?

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 08-10-2023 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

Peter from Down Under: They think we Americans are stupid, I guess, because we didn't get "deadlocking" on the door locks either. My theory is they figured that some "bloody Yank" would get locked in a car, unable to get out, have a heart attack, die and his family and an army of lawyers would sue JLR (actually Ford the time) for all they were worth.

Old 08-10-2023, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Ah yeah, that might explain it: The much loved "liability", a US export now sadly adapted in many other countries..
So if there actually is a steering wheel lock installed, then if all things go south (for whatever reason - and a lot of thing would have to go wrong there) the steering wheel lock might theoretically employ while driving - and that would be a feast for liability layers, and thus, you can't have it in the US... - probably...

I guess everybody knows the two most famous/infamous cases of liability law suits in the US from decades ago, which were won:
1. A stupid old woman placed her wet cat in the microwave to dry it... (there was no mention in the manual, not to put a cat into the microwave...)
2. Some guy bought a massively huge camper-van, activated cruise control, went to the back and prepared a tea, and he wondered, why he ended up in the ditch (the manual did not say you could not leave the steering wheel when cruise control is activated and that cruise control does not mean "self-driving"...

Last edited by Peter_of_Australia; 08-11-2023 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

1. A stupid old woman placed her wet cat in the microwave to dry it... (there was no mention in the manual, not to put a cat into the microwave...)
Drying the cat can be tricky. Washing the cat is the easy part, with this handy little device:

2. Some guy bought a massively huge camper-van, activated cruise control, went to the back and prepared a tea, and he wondered, why he ended up in the ditch (the manual did not say you could not leave the steering wheel when cruise control is activated and that cruise control does not mean "self-driving"...
More details in this documentary:

Old 08-11-2023, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

@Karl:
Looks like they stole that real story with the cruise control for that 2013 movie.
I certainly do not have my wisdom from that movie. Both stories, i.e. cat in microwave and cruise control, were 2 very extreme examples for what liability laws have in store for you, as they thought it at the university in Germany, where I studied Engineering - this was part of the engineering law course - and that was 20 years before that movie.

And in regards of your picture in the metal case above: There is only one thing worse than putting a cat into a microwave: Putting a cat in a metal cage into a microwave....

Quick Reply: Steering column locked