S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Jaguar EPC for download - Merry Belated Xmas!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Most Files do NOT need to be in C:\, only folder \jepcv3

Originally Posted by GrahamS
Fantastic. Works perfectly. Many thanks guys.

Had a problem at first but once I'd done it exactly as described (i.e. to drag the two files to c:\ and the shortcut to the desktop) it all logged on ok.
You must have the folders in the correct place for this to work.

Thanks again.

BTW, the log on is "ADMIN" in upper case. This would fail until I put the two folders in c:\
Initially, this seems to be true. I did not want to place these files in the root of my C: drive, but when I tried to execute the application from any other location, the logon authentication failed.

However, a little testing has shown that ONLY the tiny folder "jepcv3" needs to be copied to C:\. The main folder and all the data files in it can be in any location you desire, so long as you appropriately point the shortcut to the location of these files. Just put the "jepcv3" folder in C:\ and the application authentication will work fine.

I really appreciate y'all making this application available to us, but I do suggest you add this information to your installation instructions so everyone is not forced to copy the huge data files to C:\ if they prefer to keep them in a different location. Here is the note I added to the ReadMe.txt file for my own reference:

"NOTE: ONLY the jepcv3 folder MUST be in C:\. This just has a very small file with the logon authentication information. The huge data files in \JEPC can be kept in any location you like, so long as your shortcut is modified to point to that location."
Goose

Last edited by V7Goose; 01-09-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi George

Further to my last mail, I have now tried installing this on my Windows 7 desktop repeating exactly what I had done on my XP laptop - and it works fine!

So thanks for your help - the problem is obviously local to my laptop. I will do some more investigation and if I find out the cause I will post here in case anyone else gets the same problem.

Thanks again for making this available.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Thumbs up Alternate installation locations

Just an update on using alternate installation locations:

I unpacked the rar download and placed the entire package on a network attached drive (a very slow performing \\readyshare USB drive on my Netgear router). This allows me to access the application from any of the five computers in my house without having to duplicate all the data files.

To access the application from a specific computer, I just copy the shortcut to the computer and then edit the shortcut properties to point to the "Jaguar Epc v3 10.2009" folder on the network drive instead of the C:\. In addition, I change the shortcut icon to find the Jag.ico in the JEPC\applications\JEPC\images folder. Then I copy the jepcv3 folder to the C:\ on the computer.

(I tried to avoid copying the jepcv3 folder to the root of C: by editing the rootFolder variable as described by Tot back in post #19, but I cannot seem to get the logon to work when referencing "\\Readyshare" as the drive location even though \\Readyshare works fine in the shortcut. Individually mapping a network drive to a common drive letter on every computer would probably solve it, but I really don't want to do that, so I'm still just copying the jepcv3 folder to each computer.)

This works perfectly on both W7 and XP computers on my home network. It also worked fine on a little netbook computer, but the screen on that thing is too small for the default resolution of the app, and the EPC app does not give you any way to scroll around, so it is not actually usable on a netbook.

Last edited by V7Goose; 01-10-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Question 32-bit browser?

Originally Posted by androulakis
snip
Completely Editied now with screenshots and step by step install instructions. These instructions are for windows 7 32 bit. No difference in 64 bit EXCEPT you have to enable the 32bit browser as default!
snip
George
Hey George - I have a question for you on the above comment. You say that we must "enable the 32bit browser as default", but frankly I do not know what this means. I have installed this application on several W7 64-bit machines without making any changes to the browser and all seems to be working fine. It also works fine on XP 32-bit and W7 32-bit machines.

Maybe it is because I am using Firefox? Thanx

Old 01-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by V7Goose
Hey George - I have a question for you on the above comment. You say that we must "enable the 32bit browser as default", but frankly I do not know what this means. I have installed this application on several W7 64-bit machines without making any changes to the browser and all seems to be working fine. It also works fine on XP 32-bit and W7 32-bit machines.

Maybe it is because I am using Firefox? Thanx
That would be why, as there is no x64 version of firefox.

If you click the start button, and look at all programs, you will see two versions of Internet Explorer on the machine, Internet Explorer, and Internet Explorer (64 bit). IF you have the 64 bit browser enabled as the default browser, this wont work.

It will work on any windows 32 bit machine regardless of browser, and any 64 bit machine, UNLESS the 64 bit browser is enabled as default.

Take care,

George

Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I am having trouble :|

I get it loaded and swapped around and when I login I get an Internet Explorer script error

Old 01-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I am having trouble :|

I get it loaded and swapped around and when I login I get an Internet Explorer script error
Please post your operating system, (32 or 64 bit) im assuming you're using internet explorer and a screenshot of the error.

thanks,

George

Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hi George

XP....32....IE8

Thanks

Old 01-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, thank you great instructions, better that the read me file. It works fantastic.

Best forum in the world.

Ciao William

Old 01-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Hi George

XP....32....IE8

Thanks
In add / remove programs, what versions of java are installed? We might have to take a look at your internet explorer advanced security settings as well.

George

Old 01-11-2011, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member

I have Java 6, my security setting is at medium high

Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

I have Java 6, my security setting is at medium high
Step one - lower your security settings to low (to allow active X scripting), just for this purpose and see if it works. (we may have to manually go in and adjust a setting).

Step two (if step 1 doesn't work) - uninstall java either that or the java virtual machine, and then see if it works. The software has it's own java version as part of it, so I don't know if conflicting versions may cause a problem.

George

The following users liked this post:
XKRacer (01-13-2011)
Old 01-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

George;
That is excellent gift for all Jag owners !!! Thank you.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
Step one - lower your security settings to low (to allow active X scripting), just for this purpose and see if it works. (we may have to manually go in and adjust a setting).

Step two (if step 1 doesn't work) - uninstall java either that or the java virtual machine, and then see if it works. The software has it's own java version as part of it, so I don't know if conflicting versions may cause a problem.

George
My computer has crashed and burned ....... I lowered the setting and uninstalled Java, still did not work!..... Gave up at that point and went to bed, when I got up in the morning the computer had shut itself down and was trying to restart, but got stuck on the Dell start up screen, did not even get as far as windows...... After 3 attempts it has locked itself and says to contact Dell Tech Services!!!..... Hey Ho!..LOL..... I will give it to my friend he is an IT genius to sort it out.... Any how, not to be a martyr I decided to install it on my other computer, luckily I put the RAR file onto a mem stick before my computer had a brain fart, loaded it up, swapped the files around, worked first time.... Go figure lol

Thanks all the same George

Old 01-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Smile Thanks

I followed your guide today and it worked! Wow, you made it so easy for a guy who gets lost in his computer functions...THANKS SO MUCH.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fantastic!

Thank you George. Instructions were perfect. Worked like a charm first try.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Absolutely fantastic! So much information at my fingertips now it's wonderful! It worked right off the hop on my x64 system.

Thanks!
Rob

Old 02-09-2011, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Thank you for your generous contribution George. You effectively made Jaguar ownership a much "easier" process, LOL.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:12 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Jepc install

Thanks a million, install went just as you instructed...perfect! Well, almost. I get the "A connection to the internet could not be established" I have IE8 as default, not 64bit.

Last edited by VetteOwner; 03-06-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by VetteOwner
Thanks a million, install went just as you instructed...perfect! Well, almost. I get the "A connection to the internet could not be established" I have IE8 as default, not 64bit.
The internet enabled features (live price / inventory data) wont work because you're not using it inside the Jaguar dealership network.

Login, and then you should be able to select the car and view the parts numbers and diagrams. The pricing info is somewhat ridiculous, and I doubt its accurate, but proper pricing is something I don't think we can get from home.

Take care,

George

Quick Reply: Full Jaguar EPC for download - Merry Belated Xmas!