S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to headlight repair stype FAQ

Old 08-30-2014, 07:18 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I have a set of upgraded headlight adjusters for sale in the classifieds if interested.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:52 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My headlights are fine on one side..everything works
on the driver side every fitting is broken but the motor works.....
So i got the silastic out and filled up gaps, made links again, put in the brutal screw and it now stays put.
im buying a new car this week but keeping the jag (why???) as my weekender. So it might get a proper fix soon. Are new lights a reliable fix or will they break soon... are they old stock and brittle??

Old 10-24-2014, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, lots of great info here. I'll get to work on it with my husband this weekend and let you know. Thank you

Old 12-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Received 56 Likes on 19 Posts

My wife complained to me a few weeks back that her headlamps were shaking and dim. I finally got around to checking them out and low and behold both lamps shaking freely...ugh. My first thought was "Great what the hell is this going to cost!". Ebay is a scary place A quick check of my favorite forum and of course I see im not alone. Thanks Brutal your advise is always appreciated.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:52 PM

This may have been answered, I know this is an older and long thread but, could this be the cause of my HID bulbs going out after a few weeks? I pooped my hood and verified that both headlamps are extremely wobbly and require the repair. The Bulbs would flicker a few times and then stop completely but would work for a few weeks as i mentioned after replacing them..

Im hoping this is the issue.. HID bulbs are getting expensive xD Thank you guys from the newest of members to the jaguar family!

Old 09-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Talking oops

[QUOTE=K1rkinOff;1301953]I pooped my hood and verified that both headlamps are extremely wobbly and require the repair.

For the record.. I did not Poop my hood..

Old 09-25-2015, 01:53 AM

This is the passenger side front right pic of STR. The white plastic adjuster screw closest to the headlight is for the headlight, clockwise lowers the light and counterclockwise makes it higher. But what's the adjuster screw closest to the high beam for? it doesnt move anything, is my adjuster screw broken? can it be changed easily? When I start the engine w/ autolamp switch on, the auto leveling headlights was self testing up and down, does it actually move the headlights while driving? does it auto level when going uphill/downhill, turning left and right too??? Doesnt seem like mine is doing anything while driving. I notice the adjuster screw doesnt move the headlights up or down of the passenger side but when starts engine the self test auto leveling was moving both side up and down. does that mean my adjuster screws r broken? I'd like to tilt the headlights and high beams higher cuz it's shooting low like grandma ****. Doesnt seem like my plastic adjuster pulley pieces inside the light assembly r broken though, since the auto level self test works, just the adjuster screws?

Last edited by rentzoo; 09-25-2015 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Sure. Maybe this will help?
Yes the lights adjust up and down as you drive or load/unload the car. No left or right as those are active head lights.

Yes your adjuster sounds like it's broken and yes they can be replaced.

One hint; They are a bit fragile and plastic so it only takes one attempt to adjust them to break them. If they don't want to turn don't force it. They get dirty from where they are located. Spray some lube on them from time to time to help keep them turning.

Take the black plastic cover off to get a better look and access to them.

Your headlights might be broken. Do you know about Brutal's screw fix?

Old 09-25-2015, 06:04 PM

nice tip~ yes i heard about the screw fix. But is the plastic piece inside the light assembly broken if the self test works? (it tilts both headlights up and down for a couple of secs when i start the engine+autolamp). I couldnt adjust the passenger side with the adjuster up or down, thks to your diagram i know both my horizontal adjusters dont work. should i replace the 3 adjuster screws or do the Brutal's screw fix?

Old 09-25-2015, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Do the Brutal-Fix unless you know the bottom fitting is also broken. It's free and takes about 5 minutes (I pity the fool who has to go buy such a screw - means they've not spent any quality time taking stuff apart and saving the leftovers after they've reassembled it)

If that doesn't correct the issue, you'll need to order $50+ worth of parts from eBay, wait for them to arrive, remove the front bumper and fascia to get the headlight out, strip it, bake it (careful, not too long or hot); pull it apart, dig out the broken ***** and install new gubbings, re-seal/bake it and then re-install the light and your front end!

Old 01-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, so I went to do this repair today and found that it's already been done. But my low beams only shine about 20 feet on the ground. What now?

Old 01-10-2016, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts
Old 01-11-2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Souhrada
Ok, so I went to do this repair today and found that it's already been done. But my low beams only shine about 20 feet on the ground. What now?
On mine, just turn the screw. As it goes in against the plastic the beams moves up.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlight screw fix

If screws are already present but lights still too low, try replacing existing screws with longer ones which allow more elevation. If plastic is disintegrated, the thought is to rebuild it with any number of epoxys / resins but that takes a little skill.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default S-Type HeadLamp Permanent OEM Fix

Thanks to BRUTAL for the Quick, screw, headlamp fix, Its a great Band-Aid, and I used it, but Your headlamps are not really fixed or adjustable.
If you want to do a Better than OEM Repair, check out this German company(they make parts for reg and xenon lamps),, car-lami on ebay who make replacement pieces for whats bad inside the headlamp.
The end part that breaks over time, they make their part out of metal instead of plastic like the factory did. Your end result is a headlamp assembly better than OEM. see link below -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271286001264?euid=3dd6acdd4da54adda43dabdbf5a541c1 &bu=43211166722&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu[/URL]

They have an install instruction video to help,(with purchase) although its not in English you get the idea its a hour job on average, go slow the lens assy comes apart easy, they hard part is dropping the frt molding to get at the headlamps( see youtube videos to see how ), Its a lot of screws, take photos at each step so you will have no issues putting it back together, the black silicone to seal headlamp will need to be cleaned and replaced ( wear gloves its a little messy but not hard ) the parts are sent express from Europe within 5 days to me on west coast.
One point that's important,, that their video does not clearly state, the clips that the end metal parts they send You snap into, its best to carefully remove them from the headlamp housing first and snap on the end metal parts, I found on one side their part snapped in with no problem with clip never removed from housing, but the other side it would not snap in with the clip in the housing, Its easier to take clips out first ( please use caution and do not rush as there are no replacement I know of for that clip ) and snap new part with clip in place back onto housing.
Its a great Fix!!! and total cost is under $75 with any tool and supplies you may need to do both headlamps ( if you go to trouble to do one I'd do the other one as well also replace your Low beam lamps as you have to drop front end to do that as well ). My lamps are adjusted level and shine perfectly.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-21-2016)
Old 10-08-2018, 03:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Brutal , your fix is still needed after all these years !
Problem solved in 10 minutes.
I was dreading having to take the headlights out to mend them - and I didn't have to : thanks again.

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (06-07-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by vance580
I made a how to video of how to do this fix per BRUTAL's instructions I'll post the direct link in here in case anyone gets here and is still unclear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFRqW...e=mfu_in_order

This is the same video in the FAQ's video and multimedia section.
Hi!
can you help me pls?here s type 2003 xenon,so my headlight chrome lens looks like yours but if i touch the back from high beam it moves only the high beam lens the xenon low beam lens remain stucked no move at all,if put a screw to push the chrome thing nothing happends.what should i do?

Old 06-11-2019, 02:20 AM
jya
Received 158 Likes on 114 Posts

Not sure exactly what you mean but maybe look at some more posts on this forum if you haven't already done so.
Many members have decided to spend more time finding out what else may be broken within the droopy HID/Xenon headlight by removing the clear plastic lens and repair other possible breaks inside as well as replace the often stripped rear alignment plastic sprockets.
I don't know about the regular lights but for the self levelling HID/Xenon lights the chrome covered plastic body running through the length of the light assembly does all the movement and takes the bulbs with it; including the large glass HID lens.
It is suspended and pivots whole from two top plastic ball joints There is a solenoid that controls the pivoting/movement also connected to the chromed body around the middle bottom that travels horizontally looking after the 'levelling'. It is these two plastic ball joints that just break apart over time causing the whole chromed body to droop forward thus of course pointing the HID lens and high beam bulb towards the ground. I would guess its not so much wear on these plastic ball joints but the effects of combined UV heat from the sun and bulbs themselves that kills the plastic.
A let down in long term design strength. Even though the lights appear that they were made in the UK its hard to blame Jaguar. This part of the vehicle has been executed poorly by HELLA. Also the HELLA branded small modules bolted to the outside for the HID assembly commonly fail; these small alloy encased grey colour modules if I recall are expensive to buy and not repairable. Hopefully HELLA have since spent a bit more R&D dollars on building some longevity and higher quality into their products (a bit like they did in the 1970's) rather than focussing on profit..
Also did I mention that the Chrome on the plastic bodies has a magnificent lovely finish but has absolutely no heat or UV longevity either. It is best to not touch it or clean it with anything; unless you are keen to go to the trouble of rechroming. Sure these cars have now seen plenty of heat and UV rays but chrome like this should last many decades. Until we know otherwise you would have to blame HELLA again.

Old 01-30-2022, 04:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up After a good many years...

Well, finally had a droopy headlight on the 2008 S-Type, of course it only has 59000 miles so maybe not too odd. Thanks for the fix Brutal, took about 10 minutes and the cost of one of my many collected sheet metal screws...

Old 02-17-2023, 01:57 PM
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Going to give this fix a go. Took my 2006 Jaguar S Type R to the chap I use here in Houston to align and restore my headlights. He restored them just fine but was having problems getting the headlight's aligned properly. Will give this a go as it seems to fix the problem I'm currently having. Recent Picture of the headlight alignment, and with the bright light's on it wasn't much better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to headlight repair stype FAQ