S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This Jag gave me a scare.Was it my fault?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 09:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question This Jag gave me a scare.Was it my fault?

Hello,this is my second post and I'm still learning how to navigate thru this site.I purchased a 2003 Stype 3.0 L in 2008 for my wife ,We're the second owners with a little less than 50,000 miles on.I seldom drive this car,neither does she.It's a beautifull Mediterraneum Blue , like new 'cat'In my other life I've been ticketed while driving an Alfa Romeo Duetto,Fiat Spyder,Porche 911.About two years ago while entering a oil change pit owned by my nephew the car suddenly accelerated I hit the brakes hard(a better move would have been to kill the engine or shift to N)However an attendant observed the front wheels locked and dragging,while the real wheels were smoking and spinning .I finally killed the engine but not before damaging the tall exit door.The car suffered no damage.It was scary.At first I thought the same thing you just did "did I press the gas pedal being so close to the brake?" Did I press both pedals with the same winter booth?A mechanic was summoned with a hi tech scan tool but no codes were stored.I did some Google search and I found two instances symilar to mine.Has anybody here ever heard/experienced this sudden acceleration?Any replies would be appreciated.Thanks.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by parigi
Any replies would be appreciated.Thanks.
Are you sure?
"If memory serves, this used to happen alot to old people with Volvo's...circa late 80's maybe?"

<insert icon of guy hiding behind sofa here..that I can't find>

Seriously, sorry this happened but glad everyone is ok. I've never heard such reports logged against the 3.0L S, nor it's close cousin in the Lincoln stable.

The following users liked this post:
parigi (02-14-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

One of those two you read about must have been about my so called father in-law with his 2012 XJL Supercharged. Heh Heh..... A month or so after he received his long awaited "retirement gift" to himself, he drove the vehicle through the back garage wall and pert near into his dock and 26' Colbalt and into Lake Norman. Bless his heart.

After a long awaited conclusion to the "accident", it was determined that HE was not used to the movable foot pedals. Therefore as he "engaged" the brakes his buffoon foot depressed on the gas pedal further than the brakes. Long story longer as I always make them here on the board. A 800 mile round trip to the dealer that had built his XJL to his price range and specs and about 4 months later he had his retirement present back. heh heh heh..... It was really a shame, gorgeous purple exterior, oat meal interior with matching exterior purple piping on seats and floor mats. To bad shortly after getting his retirement present back, he had a talk with Mr. Glock and lost. Am I bitter, NO, but he got what was due to him!

I agree with ahobro, above.... Never in all my years here have I read about an S Type owner making the mistake of appyling the brakes but also the throttle pedal more at the same time, sorry.

Maybe Box or bydand will dig something up on another forum that I am NOT a member of.

parigi (02-14-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 10:13 AM

S-Type 6-cyl

120,032 miles

My vehicle accelerate when applying brakes. Took it to a shop and was took something was defaulting with my master brake cylinder and the brake booster. Cost nearly 1600 to fix. Cal the manufacturer about a recall related to this but was told my car wasn't related to the recall.

- Florence, SC, USA

May 242013
S-Type

80,000 miles

While approaching a stop sign and applying my brakes the car involuntarily accelerated on to incoming traffic. The car was revving at high speed and could not be stopped. I had both feet on the brakes but car was not responding. I headed toward high curb avoiding cars and pedestrians in hopes of slowing car before I was to hit dipsey dumpster, on the side of the road (I had chosen to hit them in order to avoid involving other cars and pedestrians) when I hit the curb at high rpms, the impact damaged the right front wheel and under carriage of automobile. The acceleration stopped. It was a terrifying experience. This malfunction has been registered by other drivers. Of Jaguar. It is a safety issue that Jaguar needs to address. I am lucky that I did not kill anyone or had serious injuries to my passenger and myself.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

May 242013
S-Type

80,000 miles

A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
The contact owns a 2003 Jaguar S-type. The contact was braking for a traffic stop when the engine rpms increased and the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The failure occurred as the contact was still applying the brakes. The contact was unable to stop the vehicle and crashed into a dumpster in order to stop the vehicle from accelerating any further. The contact and the front seat passenger sustained minor injuries. A police report was not filed of the incident. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The black box was reviewed but the dealer was unable to retrieve any information. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure and current mileage was 80,000.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Nov 162011
S-Type 8-cyl

80,000 miles

The distance of the brake pedal and accelerator pedal are almost the same distance from the car floor and the pedals are close enough that a foot can contact both. After starting the car in a parking lot and putting in drive I stepped on the brake but the car lurched forward and the harder I pressed the brake the faster the car went over a concrete barrier. The cause was, of course, that I was stepping on both pedals. A year later the same thing happened and I rammed and broke a garage door. The height of the brake pedal must be raised about an inch so that stepping on the brake pedal will not allow simultaneous stepping the accelerator. I have contacted Jaguar, North America ref# [xxx]. on my car I have put a 7/8 inch block on the brake pedal to raise the height. If it had been a person ahead of me instead of a garage door I probably would have killed him. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).

- Hereford, AZ, USA
Luckly for him ,your in law must be an excellent swimmer.I give you A for the humor and F for not doing research before posting,but thanks all the same.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

One or more sounds like a classic air leak, i.e. a fault but not a design fault. That sort of fault would cause the same effect on many cars.

An air leak is somewhat like putting your foot on the accelerator.

Normally the brakes will always overcome that but in the case where the leak affects the brakes then of course that's the very worst case.

Again, not a design fault and no recall could be expected - you just fix the car, same as with non-Jaguar cars with the same fault.

---

It is of course worth checking that nothing (such as a car mat) was fouling either brake or accelerator. (Quite a common thing, sadly.)

---

I see big foot syndrome mentioned, too. I suppose when buying a car or getting into the driving seat of a car you've not previously driven you're expected to check the pedals suit your feet.

---

In the case of a crash as above you can expect "flight data" to be stored and it will be worth looking at how much the accelerator pedal was pressed (and other values for diagnosing the crash cause)... (Anyone wanting to blame Jaguar should probably get this done by an independent person.)

Last edited by JagV8; 02-11-2017 at 11:24 AM.
parigi (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,762 Posts

Audi and Volvo got caught on this as mentioned but there was nothing wrong with the car. Only the driver. Mainly what was posted above or the floor mat got wadded up under the pedals.

Now the Toyota fiasco was a design problem and apparently has been fixed.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Now the Toyota fiasco was a design problem ...
Yes. One that the S-Type hasn't got. (It has 2 sensors with different characteristics and defends itself against failures.)

Old 02-14-2017, 02:43 PM

Thanks for your info.I respect you being a Jag Veteran and all ,I just want to point out that on my side of the pond an air leak is referred to as a 'vacuum leak' which in my long years of driving it usually caused the engine to shake or at the very least talk to your kidneys thru the front seat bottom.A very easy defect to locate and correct.That is if Air and Vacuum leak are one and the same.Never known that leaks of either kind can push the gas pedal down,never noticed a warning on the vacuum line routing diagram.I did post several writings by other concerned drivers,can we all possibly being wrong and air leaked in similar events ?Of course I might have misunderstood your answer completely,my wife will accuse me of this shortcoming on a daily base.On the ' car shoes' I completely agree with you .In Chicago I have showeled snow from my driveway and later moved my car with tall rubber booths on ,sadly few times hitting the garbage drums for lack of foot/brake pedal connection. Thanks for your time.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

air=vac

If you can feel it on a modern car, expect the engine to cut out. Even a tiny one is now not allowed.