S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key and Fob Purchase and Programming

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Key and Fob Purchase and Programming

So, I know that the Fancy Machine is required to program and pair to the car.
Here is my "Thing": I went to my Wichita Dealer and was quoted $398 per key from Jaguar and $345 per Fob from Jaguar and...AND, $112 per set for programming/Pairing. So, even with my degree in the Arts I can figure out that it is about $850 for a spare key and Fob.
Can I drop $850? I can. I would rather that than have a Dude with a van and a Slim-Jim digging around my door and window on the day that we lock the key in the car... or, God Forbid, Drop the key down a sewer drain.
Do I want to Spend that amount? NO!

So, I am on the hunt for an Indie or Dealer that maybe has a little less overhead to cover than Wichita.

Anyone in a six hour drive of Wichita, KS able to do this for a more reasonable number?

The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (12-31-2023)
Old 08-09-2012, 01:14 AM
JbB
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

(Yo, add what car you have in the "Garage empty" spot so we know what type and year S-Type you got.) I got some experience looking at key prices. Here's what I would do: buy online, at once, and get everything reprogrammed at the dealer. Jaguar dealers are the only ones authorized to do the reprogramming. The only area to save your money is in buying the keys.

I see on eBay 2 transponder chip uncut keys for $19.95 (for both).

As far as a new uncut transponder key, $90 is the cheapest I've found.

So there ya go, get both... two cheap non-remote keys AND one remote key for $110 total, then pay your dealer the cutting fee (it's cheap, between $5-$10 each key if I remember correctly) and pay the $110 programming fee to program all of these keys (which includes a reprogram of your current key). JbB

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (08-27-2013)
Old 08-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree. Buy the keys online and then have them cut at the dealer. It's much cheaper that way.

Luckily, I was a frequent customer to the dealer I went to so they agreed to program it free for me.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

I got my uncut switchblade key and transmitter fob off ebay for 100. The dealer said it was an OEM part. works flawlessly.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:17 PM

Thanks, All! I went to my local Lock Shop and Got Two Transponder Keys, (Bought, Cut and Programmed) as well as a "Door Only" Key for $163.
Here is what I found most interesting: A number of Ford and Jaguar vehicles use the 8-dit Tibbe and a handful of different Transponders. The S-Type and some later Ford products us a 6-bit Tibbe but the S-Type uses a Transponder that is most commonly used in the 8-Bits. My lock smith was able to ID the Transponder, install the appropriate "Chip" in a 6-Bit and Pair the keys to the Car.
The guy is GREAT! I recommend him.

Last edited by AlienMonkey; 08-12-2012 at 11:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlienMonkey:
bfsgross (08-12-2012), jjd247247 (02-14-2015)
Old 08-12-2012, 12:21 AM
JbB
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait, so you had this ALL done by a local lock smith? Hmm, that's a new one. I had heard you could only get programming done at the dealer because the dealer don't share their database out with anyone because of security (and money for them).

So how much did it ALL cost, total?

Old 08-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

From what I have read here, there are a few locksmiths that have invested in the equipment that can program our key FOBs.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

And different between 1999-2002 and later cars.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:29 AM

JB - Got Two three keys for $163 Total.
2 Transponder Keys, (Bought, Cut and Programmed)
1 "Door Only" Key which will unlock the doors but has no transponder.

I called about a half dozen 'Smiths around Wichita (maybe 100 listed)...5 of them had the equipment and software for pairing the keys and Fobs to the car. All of them had the Tibbe Cutter for 8-bit keys but only two had the 6-bit cutter AND the Transponder Reader AND the Pairing Set-up.

I went with Central Lock and Key because they are locally owned and operated. And they were the most informative on the phone. I try to give as much of my business as possible to small businesses who still offer good customer service. I also write to owners/managers of companies where I get bad service...Yeah, I'm THAT guy.

When the Jaguar Dealership's parts manager (Good Guy, Good Service) told me that they were the only place that could do the job and that it would be $850 I seriously considered buying the equipment (around $2,500) myself and partnering with a local locksmith...that was how I came across the guys in town who had the "Stuff".

Old 08-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I got a key done (without the fob) by the locksmith who unlocked my car when I left the key in the trunk!

He charged me 50 to open the car and another 50 to make the new key from his own.

He told me, that he cannot program the fob but he can definitely cut and program the key (which he did).

Key works to unlock the door and start the car. Not bad for a spare key!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is Central Lock and Key? We are also in Wichita. Is it also called Central Key and Safe near Old Town?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:42 AM

Nellma... YEsss...
Central Key & Safe Co., Inc.
305 N. Market just north of Central Down Town.

Central Key & Safe

They are great Folks... Go give them some business.

Ed

Old 08-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a hold of two key fob's for my 2004 and the dealer up in Kalamazoo is only charging me $50 to reprogram both.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had quite the experience replacing a key that was stolen from my 1998 XJ8. Finally bought the cut key from the Jag dealer in Tacoma, WA. Then had to have my car towed to a local shop that works on Jags (there is no Jag dealer in Yakima, WA). The shop programmed my key and remote & both work just fine. $135 for key & cutting, $130 for programming.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

So I finally got IDS v131 working with my mongoose and I would like to program a new key and fob. The car is a 2003 (after M45xxxx) s-type.

I found the key icon on the right border of the IDS screen. Clicking this brings up some type of seed number entering page. I have the switch blade key already cut by the dealer. I have a fob in a bag with a bar code on the bag.

Is the bar code on the bag used as the seed number? Or is the VIN used?

I think Fords use Incodes and Outcodes.

I have a Silca SDD key programmer clone that does not support my S-Type, but does have a built-in code calculator of some type.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 10-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I suspect you need to be online and with a Jag (TOPIx) subscription.

In some places you may also need to be a registered locksmith (the wrong term but you get the idea), too, I believe.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

an odd question:
I recently purchased on '03 STR, which was delivered with only a single key; no remote-fob.
I have a newer switchblade-type remote-fob from my '02 X-Type that was totalled. I'm wondering if it is possible to have it reprogrammed to work with my '03 STR, and then paired on a keyring with my key, so that I have a complete "SPARE set. and then I can purchase only ONE new fob / transmitter / blank key?

Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Key and FOB for late model Jaguar

Has anybody been able to get a key and FOB created from someone other than a dealer for a late model Jaguar keyless entry system? Every locksmith I've contacted says dealer only and even independent Jaguar Shops say go to the dealer. I've been told the key cannot be cut from a blank but has to be ordered form Jaguar. The FOB can be programmed to work with the car but if it is "messed" up it can break the keyless system which is $1000 to replace. Even though the key blanks and FOBs are available on ebay for under $100 it sounds as if going to the dealer is the safest (and most expensive) option.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Alljagz
Has anybody been able to get a key and FOB created from someone other than a dealer for a late model Jaguar keyless entry system? Every locksmith I've contacted says dealer only and even independent Jaguar Shops say go to the dealer. I've been told the key cannot be cut from a blank but has to be ordered form Jaguar. The FOB can be programmed to work with the car but if it is "messed" up it can break the keyless system which is $1000 to replace. Even though the key blanks and FOBs are available on ebay for under $100 it sounds as if going to the dealer is the safest (and most expensive) option.
Did you read this thread? :-)

There are several reporting that they have had success at their local locksmith. I will stop at mine this afternoon (if I can get out of the office early) and I'll let you know what my own experience is.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Yep - read the thread. But it looks as if all of those cars are not later model keyless entry. Different systems. My car does not have an ignition key but is push button start/stop. I think keyless entry was introduced ~2007 model year, not 100% sure but my wife's 2006 S-type is not keyless entry.

Quick Reply: Key and Fob Purchase and Programming