S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Foglamp Replacement 2005 and up S Type

Old 09-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Foglamp Replacement 2005 and up S Type

So, I had to replace one of the foglamps. Rock broke it. I was going to just hold off but the cracked lens started falling out, so it had to be done.

It is a pretty straight forward process when you look it up in JTIS. Remove the lower shroud that is under the front bumper and unscrew the foglamp. But what do you do when half the shroud bolts won't come out?

So, here is a short cut.

Tools needed: 10mm socket, trim clip tool, phillips screwdriver, t20 torx driver, and a t30 torx driver (or socket).

1) Remove the front wheel.

2) Remove all the t30 torx head bolts (5) from the front of the inner fender liner.

3) Remove the plastic nut on the upper portion of the fender liner.

4) There are two other plastic clips on the back of the liner. These have phillips heads. Un-screw them gently then pull the clips out.

5) You can now pull the front half of the fender liner out and back or continue to fully remove it. I wanted to inspect inside (passenger) since I have never pulled this side.

6) To continue, there are two trim clips on the rear of the liner that come out with a trim clip pry tool. Pry up on the heads and not the whole clip. They will then pull out.

7) Remove two 10mm hex head bolts from the rear lower section of the fender liner. These are actually under the car.

8) With the fender liner removed (or just moved) you can see the rear of the foglamp housing. It is held in with three t20 torx head screws. Unplug the bulb and out it comes.

9) Installation is the opposite of removal.

I know it may seem like more work but even if the lower panel bolts would come out it is actually less fasteners to pull the liner out instead.

While more like a FAQ, I do also have a question. Anyone have any good ideas on how to get the lower panel bolts out? They are t30 torx head machine screws threaded into clip on nuts that clip to the bumper cover. I tried bolt loosener (PB Blaster) but not only are the bolts rusted to the nuts, but the clip part of the nuts has rusted and broken so all they do is spin in place. I tried to grip them with vice grips (little ones) but it just continued to spin. Any suggestions?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Cut your losses! No easy to way to stop it from turning. In that case I would use a body saw and cut the head and get new blots and clips. When I find one that will not come out I use the PB Blast, tighten the bolt/nut then attempt to turn it out. And now you know why I have a body saw!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I had to saw mine off, too. Pig of a job.

Wait till you try to get the fender liner (wheel well aka arch liner) out completely. Some bozo put a rustable stud & nut at the top slightly rear, recessed into the liner. Still haven't got either side off (gave up as didn't absolutely need it off). Anyone any ideas? I figured careful drilling will do it

Old 09-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jagv8
I had to saw mine off, too. Pig of a job.

Wait till you try to get the fender liner (wheel well aka arch liner) out completely. Some bozo put a rustable stud & nut at the top slightly rear, recessed into the liner. Still haven't got either side off (gave up as didn't absolutely need it off). Anyone any ideas? I figured careful drilling will do it
You might be suprised by what you find up there (re-read step 3). I thought the same thing. Mine loosened to a point then would just spin. So, I started looking around under the hood to see where the pin was so I could hold it. No luck.. So I started to put my trim tool in the space between the fender and liner and "POP" off comes the plastic nut. I didn't realize that the nut up there was plastic. I'm guessing it was plastic to stop it from rusting. Double check yours unless someone replaced the plastic nut with a metal one...Then Uggggg...

Old 09-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

No chance. Each side has a rusty metal nut on a rusty thread and wouldn't move at all.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jagv8
No chance. Each side has a rusty metal nut on a rusty thread and wouldn't move at all.
Yikes... I guess you'll be drilling off the rusty nut the same time I'm drilling out the rusted on screws...