S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 V8 Owner w/ every possible question in the book!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New 2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 V8 Owner w/ every possible question in the book!

Hi and welcome,
Great looking car! I'm not sure about the rest of the stuff but I know that the dealer will rape you on a brake job. I would call around to some reputable shops and I know that you can get them done for MUCH cheaper or you can save a ton and do them yourself. The parts are very reasonable and all available on line and at most auto supply shops.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: New 2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 V8 Owner w/ every possible question in the book!

With all those problems, this is one time I would say suck it up and pay the diag fee at dealer to get a complete estimate, then you can price it out elsewhere.
I have heard good things about Bauer in your area.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah sounds like there is quite a bit wrong with the car, unfortunately. I'd for sure do the brakes yourself. They are incredibly simple I don't know why they'd charge that much especially at a tire shop. Here are some links to rotors and akebono brake pads. This should be all you need for the brake job but I'm not too familiar with the s-types.

ROTORS...
BRAKE PADS...

I'd do the brakes and than take it to a dealer or somewhere to get it looked at. For the most part your best place to turn for parts for the jags is actually the dealer. They don't have too bad of prices considering it is a dealer. You pretty much won't find parts any cheaper at other places except for stuff like a fog light. Hopefully that helped. Good luck there is someone else that has a coil issue with their s-type as well...

Old 02-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a head gasket go on my 2000 4.0, before it overheated, my a/c would blow hot air and my heater would blowcold air. While the heads were off to replacethe gaskets he replaced upper and lower tensioners with the upgraded ones, new thermostat and gasket cleaned out some small sensor holes and tune up, oil etc. cost me$2,200.00 for this and then coils started acting up so they were replaced cost $600.00. This was done at an independant garage. So your in for a decent repair bill for whats wrong with yours.
PS he charged me $450 for front rotors and pads and labor
The car is as quiet as its ever been have to look at the tach to see that its running at idle. I don't feel I was ripped off I think price was fair

The following users liked this post:
elizabethe (05-09-2014)
Old 02-25-2008, 08:14 PM

Funny how people always complain about how much it costs to fix these cars. It is a luxury car. Not a Chevy, or for that matter a Ford.

No different from you going out and buying a Samsung HD 52" LCD flat panel, then comaring it to a 15 inch tv/vcr combo from 1998.
Also, just saying, when you pay a tech to work on your car, you are paying for the knowledge and the labour for something you cannot do yourself. Again no different from having to pay someone to reroof your house, or build you cabinets. If it was something you could do yourself, you wouldnt have to pay and you would be a little better off in the pocket book because of it.

Sorry.....dont know where that came from.
$1200 for an S-Type brake job is a little steep. I think we charge that for the brembos on an R.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

The funny part fjt or not funny ironic part (there thats better) is that he was at an independent shop that quoted him $1200!!! That is probably an 1/10th of what he paid for the freaking car I bet!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Anytime that's what we are here for!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car, dialekt, all the best with the repairs.

I had my S-Type R in for service at Hornburg Jaguar. They have a dealer showroom on the Sunset Strip but their service center is in Hollywood. Here's my 2cents on them.

They were not the best, not the worst. My biggest complaint is that they are a bit "low energy" in their dealing with customers. I dropped several thousand dollars there but felt like I was at Meineke doing an oil change. They would tell me they would call back when a job was done and then wouldn't get back in touch. I'd have to call and they'd give me the whole "Oh, yeah, it's done, we were about to call you." Of course, by then it was too late in the day to get over there and I was out my car another day (or worse, several days since they don't work weekends). This happened a couple of times on different repairs. If you go there, just be forewarned not to go in when you absolutely need to have your car for some reason on a particular day. Oh, and I know it's a little thing, but they didn't do a very good job with the clean and wax they did after one repair. There were big splotches of white where they didn't bother to rub in the wax. I got a better job done at a $10 car wash down the street. I know, picky. But again you're paying good money, they should focus more on the details.

On the flip side, all the repairs but one took care of the issues they claimed they were going to fix. And even with the one exception (a replaced wheel sensor was defective), they replaced the part free, no hassle. The service person was knowledgable about the car and they can get the parts you need relatively quickly. And when I asked them to look at something in particular, they came back with specific answers indicating they actually HAD looked at it. Just nice to know they didn't do an eyeball check and actually lifted the thing and made the effort.

As for what else you might have to repair, I suggest the following. First, take a look at the list of all the things the car is supposed to have (like sun roof, cruise control, parking assist, whatever). If you don't have that list for your model, you can find it easy online. Then actually test those things. When I got my car, it was touted as having the rear parking sensor. I didn't even think about it when I took posession and it wasn't until later that I realized this wasn't working. There might be stuff (like auto windows for rear passengers or spare tire and jack in trunk), that you just assumed was in good working order. Go down the list and check each item out and then you'll have a list of things you want them to look at even if it's just to get the cost to repair.

Second, ask them to do a "pre-buy" inspection (or whatever they call it). You've already bought the car but for something like $160, they'll do their multi-point inspection and let you know what else they recommend. This gave me some peace of mind because it didn't uncover anything major or that I wasn't already aware of. Small price to pay to know what you're in for.

Anyway, sorry this was so long and everything here is probably common sense to you and everyone here. But thought I'd put in my 2cents on Hornburg and my experience there.

If you DO find a great Jag mechanic and shop that you really like, please come back and let me know, since I'd like to try someone besides Hornburg so I can compare. I'll probably try Bauer based on JagTech's suggestion.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your car, it looks great. All the best!

Old 03-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain. But once I shelled out the cash and got the car back to spec, it runs like a dream. Quite a ride. I don't really know the 2000 model, so I can't speak to other things to check. But I bet your contact will be able to give it the once over and see if anything else needs looking after.

Do you have any contact info on RMB? I wouldn't mind checking them out for future repairs. Let them know you're talking them up on the forums and maybe they'll give you a discount! Okay, I know I'm dreaming but it's worth a try.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Old 03-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Most folks do the coils one at a time. Just be prepared to start doing one after another. At least you can string out the cost.

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/item.wws?sku=IN106272

We also sell the boots alone. You may want to replace your one bad coil and the boots on all the others.

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/item.wws?sku=IN107191

Old 03-06-2008, 07:34 PM

If you had it at a dealer, and they say coils are needed. They can use the GDS510 and go to look at misfire monitor. It will say exactly which coil(s) are misfiring and how many times. I use that tool all the time so I can limit what I am charging a customer. I would always rather sell only what someone needs with the understanding that they may have to come back to get more replaced at a later date. I always encourage 6 cyl customers to replace all on the A bank together. Labour not worth them paying again.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi I have the same Year and engine as you, and I did the all coils over a weekend in my garage with basic hand tools...it's pretty easy actually, you just need a basic socket and extension set. I got the coils from ebay for 250 and the sparck plugs from a local parts shop, and got to work. The car runs smooth as butter now. Next is brakes and hopefully a trans fluiddrainand refil with a new filter, and maybe an external magnefine filter. Get some tools and get to wrenhing.

And all the talk about "trained technicians"...I agree with for the most part, but mainly for jobs that are complex and require extremely specialized knowledge, like engine/trans/rear-endtear down and reassembly, especially when it comes to the timing set on the 4.0L, I read a guy's post on another S-type forum who tried to redo his own timing tensioners and had real problems getting the thing back together. However, for something as mechanically simple as taking out the old coils/plugs and reinstalling new ones...save your money and get your hands dirty.

On a related note, I'm convinced that the reason we see so many coil failures on these cars is due to the spark plug tube seals between the head and the valve cover leaking. How hard is replacing the seals? The valve covers don't look like they are very difficult to get off except for some possible clearance issues. Is there are "fix" to keep the seals from failing again over time?

Old 03-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

90 for each is highway robbery...you can get them cheaper from a Ford dealer...there are a couple of complete sets on ebay for less than 200...On the DIY thing, to each his own, I don't make $75/hr so when I do my own labor I consider it as giving myself a raise.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 PM

I like to think that I am here for those who don't want to get there hands dirty....and for that I thank them. Keeps my baby in new shoes.

The following users liked this post:
solidaxel (02-09-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 2000 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 V8 Owner w/ every possible question in the book!