Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Door Actuator Replace

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 136 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Passenger Door Actuator Replace

All of a sudden today I had the auto open close problem and the motor running on the passenger door but no lock movement. So I am sure it is the actuator. However I have looked around the forum and cannot find a repair guide for the the front door. I know that Rick has a great guide on the rear, but I need front.

Is is posted and I am missing on the the search or other than Alldata (which I have) does anyone have a guide?

It makes everything manual ( except for opening or closing the drivers only door) and what a nuisance. I assume that the procedure for turning off auto door locking would not work to solve the problem of it trying to open and close all locks on the car- opposite of whether the passenger door is locked or unlocked until I did whatever on the driver's door?

Thanks

Tom in Plano
2005 S-Type 3.0 95k

Old 03-24-2017, 07:08 PM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

This might help.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ZenFly

Thanks
That part I know how to do and have removed the trim panels on both back doors and the driver's side (thanks to the incompetence and lack of quality control at the Jag dealership in Plano.). I am looking to see the process about removing the actuator on the passenger side short of having to take it to someone to do.

Tom

Old 03-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I just replaced Joyce's 2 weeks ago. I think Norri or spitfire has a write up on the driver's door. Have a look in the DIY subdirectory.

It is pretty simple, hardest part is disconnecting/reconnecting the rod that goes to the door handle.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
I just replaced Joyce's 2 weeks ago. I think Norri or spitfire has a write up on the driver's door. Have a look in the DIY subdirectory.

It is pretty simple, hardest part is disconnecting/reconnecting the rod that goes to the door handle.
Rick:

I assume that since it is the actuator that short of replacing there is little else to do? Was the pin you pictured out of this one as well? The Alldata procedure talks about removing the window- did you need to do that? Is it simpler than the ones on the back door? (IYO)

Thanks

Tom

Old 03-25-2017, 03:56 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

The window should in theory be removed because the glass blocks one of the bolts that hold the outside door handle. However, one can use a bit (pozidrive 2 if I recall correctly) attached to a wrench from the side to unbolt it.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Any suggestions on where to buy the actuator or is Jaguar the only source for this part?

Old 08-17-2017, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Joeaksa
Any suggestions on where to buy the actuator or is Jaguar the only source for this part?
Check with any one of our forum sponsor. There is a list of them under the "vendor" directory.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Joeaksa
And bear in mind that Jag dealers will vary wide in price. The ones in Dallas charge the highest amount that can be charged and then plus some- add that with their arrogant attitude- best to AVOID those types.

There are many vendors and other online sites for Jag dealers that will have better prices. Ebay has a number of used one that if you got 3 of them- might still cost less than a new one.

From one of our legends on the forum- Gus- from his website is a list of vendors for parts.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Have fun

Tom in Dallas/Plano

Old 08-17-2017, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jazzwineman
Ebay has a number of used one that if you got 3 of them- might still cost less than a new one.
Be wary of used. Here is my story:

I replaced our left rear actuator with a used "low mile" part from a reputable parts source. I cannot remember the warranty but there was one. Anyways shortly after R&R which is a real PITA doing the rears the used one failed. I contacted company, they offered to replace the actuator with another used one. I decided to chalk up my "deal priced" actuator to live and learn. I went with new OEM and haven't looked back, 5 or so years.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Be wary of used. Here is my story:

I replaced our left rear actuator with a used "low mile" part from a reputable parts source. I cannot remember the warranty but there was one. Anyways shortly after R&R which is a real PITA doing the rears the used one failed. I contacted company, they offered to replace the actuator with another used one. I decided to chalk up my "deal priced" actuator to live and learn. I went with new OEM and haven't looked back, 5 or so years.
Rick is right. I believe he has the "battle scars" to prove it.

Tom