S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming Keys (transponders) and Fobs (transmitters) in the S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 AM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Programming Keys (transponders) and Fobs (transmitters) in the S-Type

I bought my S-Type with only one key. And it has made me anxious each time I misplaced it. I needed another key, but the dealer cost was astronomical.
$50 for switchblade key, $180 for fob, $120 for programming. Ouch! $350 for a freaking key?

After some research, I found that the best price for the switch blade was from the dealer, as the dealer would cut any switchblade for $20. The cheapest I could find a switchblade on Ebay was $30. The dealer sold the switchblade with free cutting for $50, so it was a wash. And if the dealer blew the cut, a new blank was out of their pocket. The fob was $27 on Ebay (remotez4less) and an actual Jaguar part. So I had both key and fob, now for the programming.

I read many places on this forum that the programming had to be done at the dealer, that the WDS, VCM, or JLR Mongoose could do it. Price shopping the Chinese vendors, UOBD2, was having a sale on their mongooser, $100 (now $90) with free shipping. There was some sort of software included with the mongooser, so I thought that even if this tool did not do the programming of the key, it would hopefully do the programming of the transmission and ECU.

While waiting for the tool to arrive, I downloaded all types of software, I also subscribed to several sites for as much information I could get.

The tool arrived yesterday and as fate would have it, the software included with the tool was corrupt. So I installed the V131 software and searched for credentials. I found them, authenticated the software, and started exploring the innards of the S-Type.

The tool and IDS has reported that there are several outstanding DTCs, one of note is with the intrusion module. That is, if my s-type actually has an intrusion module.

Anyway, getting back on topic, in the cryptic menus for IDS is a tab for doing the fun stuff, programming and configuring modules. Under the security tab is the ability to add a transponder (key), configure new transponders, and configure new transmitters (fobs).

When I tried to add a key, there was a problem that 3 keys and 2 fobs were programmed. Because of the mis-match, it would not program any more keys.

So, taking a chance, I selected to configure new transponders. I was kind of nervous erasing the functional key, but after the process was done, both keys now started the car!

Next was configuring new fobs, and similar to the keys, the working fob was erased, and both fobs were programmed and functional! Yes!

So, I saved $20 over going to the dealer for programming, but in the process, I learned a lot, and got myself a pretty cool tool for exploring the Jag.

I have already changed some of the dealer configurables using the mongooser, and I have my fingers crossed I don't break anything. Next up will be to update the ECU and TCM with the latest software, and reset them. However I want to change the spark plugs, transmission fluid, and filter first.

Can you tell I am as happy as a clam right now?

A quick note, there is a good chance that the Mongoose will not work for 1999 - 2001 maybe 2002 S-Types. This is from the Mongoose specs that it only supports X202, not X200. The mongooser might be a different story.

The following 8 users liked this post by heima:
desertcat (12-13-2012), GT42R (10-11-2012), meriwether (04-05-2013), Michael Star (10-11-2012), Six Rotors (10-22-2012), thebiglad (06-21-2013), Vik (04-08-2015), Wes Holstein (12-20-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-11-2012, 05:51 AM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

Sounds good.
Where did you get the software updates for the ECU/TCM?
I would have thought they would have been from Jag only.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Great story. Good thing you persevered!!

Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by heima
Can you tell I am as happy as a clam right now?

A quick note, there is a good chance that the Mongoose will not work for 1999 - 2001 maybe 2002 S-Types. This is from the Mongoose specs that it only supports X202, not X200. The mongooser might be a different story.
Nice going Jeremy! Way to jump in there with both feet.

Now, let me jump in on the subject of the MongoosePro JLR "supported models". What you have to remember is that "supported models" are cars that DrewTech is stating the Mongoose will perform FLASH PROGRAMMING.

Everyone is really overly concerned with the term flash programming. Reflashing is not a "repair", and very, very rarely "repairs" anything. Reflashing is for UPDATING programmed software to correct an anomaly the mfg. has felt the need to correct. Examples are some of our recalls that reflash the ECM specifically to correct fueling or emission functions that have caused the tailpipe emissions to miss the mandated target levels for the model year. I guess that's the closest you can come to calling reflashing a repair. But the point is, as an owner working on your own car, reflashing shouldn't be high on your list of "needs". For instance, I don't believe there has been any "update" to the X200 PCM software since about 2004. If one of those really needed newer software, it's likely already been done; it's now 2013!

To my main point, DrewTech does not list the X200 as a supported model, but for just about everything EXCEPT flash programming, the MongoosePro works fine on the X200. OBDII, diagnosis, reading codes, datalogger, programming keys, all of it; the MongoosePro works fine. I have a machine that I use with a Mongoose daily. Once in a while I'll find something that doesn't work just right, in that case I just go get one with a VCM and press on. I use the Mongoose to interrogate my '95 XJR and read and clear codes. It has trouble reading the climate and restraints some of the time, but that's not a big deal. I use it for just about everything '96 and later for OBDII and Engine Management diagnosis and usually accomplish what I needed to.

To all............
Stop worrying so much about flash programming; that can keep you out of trouble, too.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 10-11-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:01 PM

Jeremy?

Actually I fashion myself more to James May. As I drive like Captain Slow.

Last edited by heima; 10-11-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
Sounds good.
Where did you get the software updates for the ECU/TCM?
I would have thought they would have been from Jag only.
Aren't those the calibration files? Part of the VDF executable or SDD updates?

If not, I think I can find some. That invitation should pay off well.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Wabada Wabada Wabada.... What the heck are you guys talking about? Not saying I'm the dullest knife in the drawer, but I got lost on the first three sentences of the OP's first post. LOL! I only have one FOB with key too, but have a spare FOB from the 02 X-Type I traded in.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

The files can be downloaded (free.) If you don't have them and want them shoot me a PM.

I guess some STR owners may want to reflash the TCM to overcome the short shifting. I wouldn't encourage it, but hey.

And I guess others may want to clear the TCM adaptions.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read the above about suppport for the X200 and bought a £60 lead which came with V130.

All installed but the Goose does not read the VIN and I get no further.

TT

Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2001 x200.....

Tt

Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
The files can be downloaded (free.) If you don't have them and want them shoot me a PM.

I guess some STR owners may want to reflash the TCM to overcome the short shifting. I wouldn't encourage it, but hey.

Where do we download them?

I would love to flash the TCM to overcome the short shifting. But this isn't part of the STR update, instead you need to utilize part of the XKR file, correct?

Hence the 'not recommended' part?

Think I'm ready to invest in a mongoose and experiment with a TCM reflash... or at least program me a spare key!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

The files are part of IDS. Just browse around to them. I heard the leads only work subscription-free to IDS 130 and I don't know of it being online any more.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:30 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

As per the OP's post i have purchased a Mongoose from Uobd2 and it arrived pretty promptly with no import duties

Installing the software required first upgrading the Windows XP Home edition to XP Professional, but this can be done with a simple registry edit and a reboot and costs £0

The software install on my old creaky Dell C810 was slow, and was not helped by the fact that the CD drive wasn't working so I had to burn the supplied DVD onto an external drive first, then copy it to my laptop.

Once installed there were a few changes required but the V131 software installed no problem, just install and hit the buttons as it directs. If the instructions are in chinese then a best guess at which one is the 'Ok' button usually works (I got it right lol).

Firing the system up was a little unnerving and required a few goes before it would auto read the VIN number of the car. If it doesn't all work first time then come out of the program, unplug all connections and reboot the laptop. Eventually everything worked and I was soon surfing around the fault codes, clearing them and checking everything was working as it should

I reflashed the TCM with the latest software, and was a little concerned when the information display started flashing 'Gearbox fault' and 'Restricted performance'!! Afrter about 15 minutes it finished flashing and was all okay. Hopefully this software level Z63k5660x202ww.phx is the latest available and gets rid of all known issues. My car hasn't been updated since it left the factory as far as i know.

So the new key arrives today and once I've changed over the blade I can get the reprogramming done and finally have 2 working keys

Total value for money..... £50 for all this capability. And how much would a dealer charge for this work?

Last edited by Jagbuff_UK; 02-05-2013 at 06:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Matthew Barden (01-31-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member

I hope it clears the adaptions automatically nowadays (it didn't used to).

You're supposed to drive the car in a specific manner to readapt the clutches, using IDS and a passenger to watch it. Did you?

Old 02-02-2013, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
I hope it clears the adaptions automatically nowadays (it didn't used to).

You're supposed to drive the car in a specific manner to readapt the clutches, using IDS and a passenger to watch it. Did you?
Yes it clears the adaptions as part of the reflash process, and no I haven't driven it yet but have found the TCM adaption drive test in the IDS menu

And as a comparison I asked my local dealer how much a new key & programming would be..... £268 inc trade discount!!! I Got the key on eBay for £13 and a key blade supplied and cut was £10 also from eBay. Less than 10% of the dealer price!

Last edited by plums; 02-05-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: the word is "dealer"
Old 02-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Nice updates, thanks for the info. Good to know the software is a little finicky and needs a little trial and error.

I too am strongly interested in getting a mongoose setup, and attempt a TCM update this year with an XKR reference file.

Jagbuff, what kind of S-type do you own?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:17 AM

Its a 2004 4.2 sport. I'll let you all know how the programming of the new key goes.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 AM

Key programming went without a hitch this morning....Took about 5 minutes. Wherever the original second key is now at least I know it no longer works

Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, that's a bonus. (Will still physically open the locks, of course, but won't start the car or shut the alarm off.)

Old 02-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

All this talk about reflashes and fault-code clearings, and all the fancy (and quite frankly - maybe even just a little intimidating too) methodologies to accomplish it...

Maybe I'm just a simpleton, but... Other than for the need to re-program new key-fobs, or other "specialty purposes" - what is the difference in ECM "clearing" via all this - and something else I just recently read elsewhere as being a "hard re-set" of the ECM rather easily (and absolutely FREE) accomplished by disconnecting the battery, and holding the disconnected cable-ends together for 30 sec?

Quick Reply: Programming Keys (transponders) and Fobs (transmitters) in the S-Type