S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Qwiketz intake elbow thread including pics and dyno charts

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Qwiketz intake elbow thread including pics and dyno charts

Hi guys. Many of you guys know that I have been in the process of coming up with another intake elbow. I've come far enough at this point to at least warrant an update. It's not done but I'm close.

A little background about my elbow. It's out of stainless steel with a 1/2" bung welded on. My intention is to connect the 1/2" hose to the stock 90* elbow off the cam cover. I will also be trying to find a replacement fitting that will work. I tried two today but they're not quite right.

I will be using reinforced silicone couplers and t bolt clamps.

I'm going to test fit it tomorrow after work and I'm hoping to get it on the dyno either Saturday or early next week. I will be doing runs with:
-stock, no alky
-intake tube, no alky
-intake tube, 375 jet
-intake tube 625 jet

Below are some pics of my prototype. I probably will be doing a run of these shortly once I get the dyno results and test fit with the stock air box (mine doesn't have it). If all turns out good then I'll talk to my fab shop that did the work on this one and track down the other components.

Here's some pics of the tube itself....

Attached Thumbnails Qwiketz intake elbow thread including pics and dyno charts-prototype-1.jpg   Qwiketz intake elbow thread including pics and dyno charts-prototype-2.jpg   Qwiketz intake elbow thread including pics and dyno charts-prototype-3.jpg   Qwiketz intake elbow thread including pics and dyno charts-prototype-4.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 PM

saved for dyno sheets....

Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 PM

saved for installed pics/updates

Old 03-29-2012, 09:13 PM

more mock up photos.....

You'll notice that I left the elbow a little shorter than the stock part. This is mostly due to the fact that I'll be using 3" long silicone elbows. The t bolt clamps only really take about 3/4" on each side, so there's a little bit of wiggle room.

Attached Thumbnails Qwiketz intake elbow thread including pics and dyno charts-intake-mock-up-2-.jpg   Qwiketz intake elbow thread including pics and dyno charts-intake-mock-up.jpg  
Old 03-30-2012, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Nice job qwiketz! You the man!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

+1 Nice work! Hope you can get it all finished up and offered up, I know there are a lot of members interested.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:23 PM

Totally. I was calling around to setup dyno time so I'll have some updates soon. Also, it looks like I'll retain the stock breather fitting which is a nice feature.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:41 PM

Okay guys. I have the dyno booked at GRC Performance in Mission Viejo next Friday. If anyone is in so cal and wants to see what this thing will do on their car, I'll cover the cost of the dyno runs for a stock versus modified run as long as I can post the dyno results on my thread here. I'd like to see what it'll do on a stock car and I'll post what it'll do on a modified car. PM me if interested.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

What size tubing are you using?

Old 03-31-2012, 12:26 AM

3"

Old 03-31-2012, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Okay guys. I have the dyno booked at GRC Performance in Mission Viejo next Friday. If anyone is in so cal and wants to see what this thing will do on their car, I'll cover the cost of the dyno runs for a stock versus modified run as long as I can post the dyno results on my thread here. I'd like to see what it'll do on a stock car and I'll post what it'll do on a modified car. PM me if interested.
Good offer! I hope someone takes it up.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts
Default I'm a bit confused about what I'm looking at?

I haven't followed your other threads on this.

What's the perceived advantage of this piece if you have an otherwise stock car?

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Hi guys. Many of you guys know that I have been in the process of coming up with another intake elbow. I've come far enough at this point to at least warrant an update. It's not done but I'm close.

A little background about my elbow. It's out of stainless steel with a 1/2" bung welded on. My intention is to connect the 1/2" hose to the stock 90* elbow off the cam cover. I will also be trying to find a replacement fitting that will work. I tried two today but they're not quite right.

I will be using reinforced silicone couplers and t bolt clamps.

I'm going to test fit it tomorrow after work and I'm hoping to get it on the dyno either Saturday or early next week. I will be doing runs with:
-stock, no alky
-intake tube, no alky
-intake tube, 375 jet
-intake tube 625 jet

Below are some pics of my prototype. I probably will be doing a run of these shortly once I get the dyno results and test fit with the stock air box (mine doesn't have it). If all turns out good then I'll talk to my fab shop that did the work on this one and track down the other components.

Here's some pics of the tube itself....

Old 03-31-2012, 08:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

The stock intake is designed to cut down on intake sound (hence the octopus looking factory piece). The trade off of more horsepower is increased sound.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18,477 Likes on 7,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I haven't followed your other threads on this.

What's the perceived advantage of this piece if you have an otherwise stock car?

Wouldn't getting a reading with the new intake on a stock engine provide baseline info on what the intake will gain ??
Then other readings (before and after) with a modded engine would provide what the intake will do for these engines.

IMHO only...

Old 03-31-2012, 10:18 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Star
The stock intake is designed to cut down on intake sound (hence the octopus looking factory piece). The trade off of more horsepower is increased sound.
The stock intake is a cold air type- the proposed mod is not. That's a step backwards to me.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

The proposed intake is also a cold air (closed off from underhood warm air) system.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
The proposed intake is also a cold air (closed off from underhood warm air) system.
Ah, OK, I was looking at the K&N filter set up in the pics above. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:24 AM

the piece is being designed as a stock replacement, so you will be able to retain the stock air box. My car didn't have one when I have it so I'm working with what I got since finding a replacement is hard to do and is expensive.

On a different note about the closed off element versus open filter in the compartment; we were worried about this on our supercharged corvette bracket setups because the filter was above the header(even worse). What we found was that once the car was moving at all, enough air was going through the engine compartment that the temps on the guage quickly went back to ambient. On my setup I still have the ram air type setup directing air to where the air filter is. I'm guessing (I havent tested yet) that once the car is moving, the air temp the engine is sucking in is close to ambient. That's just my opinion based on what I've seen in other applications. I'll test it at some point but I'm pretty much going to make due with that setup since the last air box I saw for sale was $200 which was about triple what I wanted to pay.

With that being said, back to the thread....

With this pipe on there, there will be more supercharge whine while in boost since it doesn't have the silencers of the stock piece. That is a big part of the hp gain. The air flows straight through without as much turbulence.

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (03-31-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
The stock intake is a cold air type- the proposed mod is not. That's a step backwards to me.
I know you try to help out as much as you can, but you are the most negative person on this board. Just gets annoying to see your posts after a while.

The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Star:
DPK (12-26-2013), searanch (03-31-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Star
I know you try to help out as much as you can, but you are the most negative person on this board. Just gets annoying to see your posts after a while.
hahaha... I have a pretty good chuckle going on over here. Let's keep the thread on point.

If you look at the pics above, you can see that the part is a direct replacement. The only real differences are that there will be silicone couplers on each side of the tube. I didn't have them in the photo but I'll have them in future pictures.

One thing I haven't determined is how to finish the part. It's stainless, so you could polish it but polishing stainless is a pain due to it being much harder than aluminum. I could get it painted by a shop I work with but once again, it's stainless. What do you guys think?

The following users liked this post:
34by151 (11-08-2012)

Quick Reply: Qwiketz intake elbow thread including pics and dyno charts