S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote for 2000 S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote for 2000 S-Type

Is it possible to program a keyless remote for a 2000 S-Type myself, or is this something I would have to take to the dealer?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm also interested in this subject since ours came with only one key/remote.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

dealer only, all the other models have back doors to program remotes. Keys always have to go to the dealer, or at the least a locksmith with the right equipment

Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Buy ebay remotes and take them to the dealer to be programed. Scott Jaguar here in Charlotte charges $108.00 ea. for programing.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I had mixed results with that route.

Bought both key and remote from eBay seller and dashed off to dealer who explained he couldn't grind the key on account of it didn't have a chamfer on the tip....even rolled out one of his blank stock to show me...and indeed, his blank terminated in a blade, like a screwdriver, but stubbier, mine just a barrel, or blunt round end. The engineer in me realized my eBay blank should still work if that mat'l were ground away, but the pragmatist realized it may be beyond the capability of his key-grinding machine...so I bought the dealer blank. Good news was, I went in with a dysfunctional remote and functional key obtained with the car, a dysfunctional but new remote from eBay, and a dysfunctional key blank from eBay and came out with both remotes functioning 4.0, two functional keys, and a dysfunctional blank....sans a coupla hoondrud dole-ares, as my former German colleagues might put it...

But if you only have one key....and you lose it....well....I think Gysgt Kerr, USMC from AOCS days said it best, "Yukin just f'n stand by, candidate!"

Old 02-24-2011, 08:50 AM

Glad you posted that experiance. I was looking at the ones on ebay too but sounds sort of risky now. The original I have works fine but I never liked not having two keys for anything. The one I have still has the barcode tag on it. Would that be of any help in getting a duplicate? 200 bucks for a key sucks.

Sorry if this is a hijack.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

The trick is it takes two fobs to program, so if you only have one, and lose it....you"get" to buy 2!
Don't think the numbers will help, nut you could ask. Might be what they use to grind the key?
Seller was supportive, said he'd send another blank or refund the blank, nut real expense was the remote, which worked, so I tossed it in a drawer and moved on.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 AM

Should have mentioned that what I have is the switchblade, all in one type. My Ex's Crossfire has something similar.

I have the dealer info where this car came from. Longshot but I think I'll give em a call and see if they would be able to contact the original owner for me. I doubt it but the call is free. Heck, I'd give em 50 bucks if they would cough up the spare.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:22 AM

Just called. Salesman doesn't work there anymore and the lady on the phone said she could give me the parts dept. Oh well.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bodyman
Should have mentioned that what I have is the switchblade, all in one type. My Ex's Crossfire has something similar.

I have the dealer info where this car came from. Longshot but I think I'll give em a call and see if they would be able to contact the original owner for me. I doubt it but the call is free. Heck, I'd give em 50 bucks if they would cough up the spare.
Same here. But it comes apart. Remote separates from the key and a bit of the plastic

Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 AM

Talked to both local dealers and the online one. Yes, it comes in two pieces...the key and the remote. The online dealer isn't permited to ship keys due to security reasons. Parts Guy at Bobby Rahaul was very helpful and gave me a exact quote. $288.61 for a cut key and the remote and $100.00 to program it. Claims that is a discounted price through my shop on the parts. Guess this ain't no Chevy! BTW, the barcode and numbers I have are useless. But he can get the key cut from the VIN# and proof of ownership.

I'll probably bite the bullet. Like you say, If you lose it you get to have the car towed to the dealer and spend about $900 for two of everything. I keep thinking of the movie Gone in 60 Seconds where the dog eats the keys and they have to give it Exlax and wait.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

b'lieve I was also just shy of $300 by the time I was done...also got "discount" cuz I had sad puppy-dog eyes, I guess, and because it was for my daughter.. and had bought some parts from Joe before and he is all-round good guy.....but then...at least I still had my useless key-blank to in addition to 2x of everything else. So while that is steep for an "additional" key...it's not so bad, relatively speaking.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

I have two spare switchblade keys in good condition if anyone is interested. $50 each, or $80 for both. Dealer list for the remote portion is $188.

You would still have to get the metal portion cut from your dealer ~ $45, plus programming, which is a one shot deal, all the keys that you want to use with the car have to be programmed simultaneously on an S-Type.

Take care,

George

Old 02-24-2011, 01:32 PM

George, you are saying the remotes are interchangeable if programed? My guy quoted $125 and $163 for the two at discount. So from what you are saying the cut metal portion must be the $125. Plus the 100 bucks labor to program the remotes.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

George, you are saying the remotes are interchangeable if programed? My guy quoted $125 and $163 for the two at discount. So from what you are saying the cut metal portion must be the $125. Plus the 100 bucks labor to program the remotes.
Ok time to clear up some confusion.

First. The remote switchblade key is two pieces, each sold separately.

The first part is the folding metal blade, the second part is the keyless entry remote.

BOTH have to be programmed to the car. The folding metal blade which has to be cut to the car has a transponder in it, which enables the car to start.

The keyless entry remote also programs to the car but they are universal, any remote can be programmed to any car. ALL keys must be present at the time of programming (up to 5), as the programming sequence deletes previously programmed keys.

NOW, if you're just looking for a doomsday crap I lost my keys key to hide in a safe place, you can get a "post" key. Which isn't a frequently discussed option.

Still has to be cut, and programmed to the car at the time of programming the rest of the keys, but costs alot less.

Oh and something interesting that most people might not know. You can stick any S or X type key into any S or X type, and it will lock the car, even if it wont unlock it because it's the wrong key. IF you have more than one, try it. (Ask me how I found out about that one LOL).

Take care,

George

Attached Thumbnails Remote for 2000 S-Type-img_0897.jpg   Remote for 2000 S-Type-img_0898.jpg  
Old 02-24-2011, 02:11 PM

George is correct, but we call that a black master key(non flip) its a cheaper spare than the flipper w/remote.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:13 PM

Yeah the parts guy asked if I just wanted a Valet key...as he called it.

Thanks for the offer. I'll check back with the dealer and get a firm quote for the folding metal blade. And I'll mention bringing my own remote portion. Hopefully they don't get an attitude about me supplying it.

Jim

Old 02-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah the parts guy asked if I just wanted a Valet key...as he called it.

Thanks for the offer. I'll check back with the dealer and get a firm quote for the folding metal blade. And I'll mention bringing my own remote portion. Hopefully they don't get an attitude about me supplying it.

Jim
You can get the valet / master key blank for $15 shipped on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...Q5fAccessories

You'd still have to get it cut, but you can impress your friends by starting your jaguar with a Ford key LOL.

Take care,

George

Old 02-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The 2000 to 2002 S-Type keys and keyfob transmitters are separate units.
The transmitter needs PDU,WDS,IDS etc. but the keys can be programmed if you have 2 original keys. Just like the Fords of the same years, you insert 1 original key, turn the ignition on then off. Remove that key and insert the orther original key, turn it on then off. Now take the NEW unprogrammed key and insert it. Turn the ignition on then off. You now have 3 keys. To programme a 4th you need to use the original 2 keys and programme the 4th. (1,2,4)

Using 1 original and one newly programmed key WILL NOT WORK.

A total of 5 keys can be programmed but remember that the car came with 3 keys so unless you clear the old/lost keys, you will only be able to programme 2 more (you have to have the 2 original master keys)

Also a minimum of 2 keys must be present to programme the imobilzer. If you enter 1 in the "NUMBER OF KEYS YOU WISH TO PROGRAMME" WDS/IDS will not procede. (the number must be between 2 and 5)

bob gauff

Old 02-24-2011, 03:37 PM

Uhm bob, i never do the 2 original key thing anymore. I found it too hit and miss. It would always work for me. But i had more than a couple customer come back saying that the new key wouldnt work again, so i just program with ids. As a side note. You dont have to have 2 keys that fir the car to program. You need 1 that fits the car, some aluminum foil, and another correct transponder key say from the jaguar in the next stall
program the 1 key, then wrap it up in aluminum foil so the key blade sticks out, (have the foil shaped and ready before hand) then when it asks for the second, just turn the ignition with the first key thats now shielded with aluminum foil while holding the donor slave key next to the other key while you turn it. That way the reader will read the other key and voila' it goes right through with only purchasing and cutting 1 key. Just a trick i learn 1 time when i forgot to tell the customer they needed 2 keys with a new instrument pack and twhen i did they only had 1 a complained about having to then buy another

Quick Reply: Remote for 2000 S-Type