S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof drains "crushed"

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Roof drains "crushed"

Last week I wrote about finding water on the floor behind the driver's seat. Well...we've ruled out an open window or door in a rainstorm.

The technician said he tried to clear the drain lines but they've collapsed. The dealer has ordered new lines for about $80. When they come in, they'll install then for about $540.

Does the labor cost sound about right? And, why are these not covered by the Jaguar Select Edition warranty? These aren't like tires or belts in that simply driving the car consumes them. They aren't like seat cushions that are slightly damaged with each use. They are embedded in the structure of the car just as is any part of the motor, transmission, or any electrical component.

Thanks.

Eric

Old 12-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Ahem. How about some details of your car (preferably in your profile...)

In case they're rubber I supose they'll age. Got an old car?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:28 PM

Sorry. I usually include it.

2005 S-Type 3.0

There isn't an obvious place to include this in the profile AFAIK.

Eric

Old 12-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think I would make a little noise on that one. I don't see how they could be treated as wear items.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, let me get this straight...S-types come with some kind of hoses that drain the roof run-off or what?

Old 12-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you say you had water behind the seat,
what is the route of the drain tubes as I thought the roof drains would run down the screen pillars

Old 12-01-2009, 05:03 PM

This is how it was explained to me....

There are 4 drains, one per corner. The front drains cross the roof and go down the A pillar. The rear drains cross the roof and go down the C pillar. I can see how the route down the A pillar works. However, the water was in the left rear footwell. I'm not certain how the water got there considering it was supposed to go down the C pillar.

I was told that the drains sometimes fail. However, this technician says that usually they become disconnected or are dirty. In either case, they fix the existing ones. Sometimes the front drain lines collapse. In my case, one of the the rear lines collapsed...he said "crushed" though I'm not certain how that would happen. All four are going to be replaced under the concept of if one failed, the other three are not far behind.

Meanwhile, I'm parked on an incline...nose down....until Friday. Then next week I'll have a visit with ServPro to get the mildew out.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

I have a hard time with this explanation? This is a common failure on the Lincoln LS. Both front drain hoses have come off on my wife’s car. The fix is very simple. Just reattach them and add a clamp so they don't pull off again. Unless your headliner has been replaced I don't see any way the drain tubes can get crushed. The sunroof and hoses are identical to the Jaguar S Type. I would remove the grab handles in the roof on one side and see if you can look under the headliner to see the hoses. Like I said in an earlier post the water is in the wrong place for the moon roof drains but maybe ended up there? I have added a picture of the moon roof drains disconnected on the LS.

Attached Thumbnails Roof drains "crushed"-sunroof-drain-unhooked.jpg  
Old 12-01-2009, 05:39 PM

thanks for clarifying that but I don't agree with the if ones gone the others will follow in this case as why are they crushed and if one has indeed been crushed why would it happen to the others (btw they normally get blocked by debris like fallen leafs ) I have come across this before on a ford we cleared it by loosening it with a welding rod then blowing it clear with the air jet

Old 12-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Yeah... what you've been told is unlike anyone else's experience.... doesn't really seem plausible.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:53 PM

Speaking of the damaged drain...

It was hooked up. It was not disconnected. The technician unhooked it and tried to clear it (I dunno how.....compressed air?). This proved impossible to do.

The parts order includes all 4 drain lines. I suppose I could have just have the problem line installed. If they raise a fuss, I suppose I could buy the others for my "parts inventory".

When he drew with his finger, he drew the routing down the C pillar. It makes more sense that it would be the B pillar when taking into account where the water showed up. Coming down the C pillar would dump the water behind the rear seat rather than in front of it. However, I didn't see the drain itself so this is largely my imagination.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:10 AM

I know this is going to be one of those well if threads but
how did it get "hooked up" and if it was done in manufacturing why arnt they putting it right under warranty as it would be classed as a manufacturing defect surely, plus does it affect all cars with sun roofs, this could open a proper can of worms.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Eric, I looked at the procedure to change out drain lines.

The fronts:
1) Remove inner front wheel wells
2) Remove "A", "B", and "C" pillar trim panels
3) Remove sunvisors, grab handles (jesus christ bars) and lights
4) Remove overhead control panel
5) Remove headliner

The rears:
1) Remove rear bumper skin (this is a real pain)
2) Remove trunk flooring
3) Remove trunk trim side panels
4) Remove parcel shelf
5) Follow "front procedure" to remove headliner

This is how to gain access to REPLACE drain lines
Are you positive the lines are crushed????????
Could the rear lines be pinched somewhere? The rears are visable in the trunk.

Last edited by joycesjag; 12-02-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:44 AM

Candidly, I don't know how the drain line was or is fastened to the drain proper. The diagnostics were done by a technician past the "No customers past this point" sign.

I'll look in the trunk but it's raining today. In fact, the animals are starting to pair up....

I've got the car parked at home, nose down, on a 2 degree or so incline. We're hoping that this keeps water from trying the rear drains.

Thanks.

Eric

Old 12-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

If your car must sit outside in heavy rain, just place a waterproof tarp (or even an old raincoat) over the moonroof to minimize any water getting into your drains while you continue to resolve this issue....

Old 12-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Unhappy

Well....I called Jaguar today. The nice lady read me the items that are excluded from a Select Edition warranty and the drains are in that category.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

Before I would "give" the nice people at the Jaguar dealership the $620.00 and change, I definetly would follow tbirds advise and remove the grab bars and take a peekie myself. Also check the drain lines that run through the trunk. If you need detailed instructions as to "dropping" down the headliner without removing it, I may be able to help. I have run this senario through my head all day, I just can't believe on an 05 the tubes would be crushed or collapsed on there own.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Ok fellows, I now have Joyces Jag at my disposal (it was at the airport the past week). As in my usual fashion, I opened the trunk and peeked to the left (drivers side US) low and behold there is the drain line right behind the compartment light. By removing a couple thumb screws on the liner, its very visable to see where it runs down. The passenger side bingo dead opposite of the drivers side and runs behind the battery. If pictures are desired let me know, but this is really easy to check into by my explanation. I still place my $ on a kink.

Ok upon further examination, I opened the moonroof in both directions, I found the front drain lines very easily, where the heck are the rears? Using a powerful maglite and small extention dentist mirror I could not find them. How could they have been blown out? I would NOT recommend removing just the JC bars (grab handles) and pulling down on the headliner. You must remove the B and C interior pillar trim with removing the JC bars. I was not able to feel where the rear drain lines exit the trunk area. It seems they lead to above the mufflers somewhere.

Last edited by joycesjag; 12-04-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Eric, how about an update? If you haven't gotten the lines replaced, ask to see the "crushed" line and maybe post a pic of it, so we can see in relation to where it was actually crushed.
Thank you

Old 12-10-2009, 10:19 AM

"Crushed" was my word for the condition. Theirs was the more generic "stopped up".

The new lines aren't in yet so there's not much to tell. I'll post something here when we proceed. Meanwhile, I'm parked on a downhill slope and don't drive it on rainy days (parking at work doesn't have a slope available). I check the footwell after storms. All is dry.

Eric

Quick Reply: Roof drains "crushed"