Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type R ATF filter and fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S Type R ATF filter and fluid change

Hi,

I did this job last weekend on the ZF transmission. If you didn't know, the filter is part of the pan and "both" are replaced. You should also use ZF Lifeguard 6 or a lubricant that is as good. There is much debate about what is as good. I went with ZF and all ZF parts cost about $300 for the job from FCP Groton.

Removing and replacing the old pan/filter was not difficult and the shield does not have to be removed. The bolts are torx. I did use a medium Locktite when replacing the bolts but doubt that will matter. I also used the prescribed tightening sequence but think that was overkill. You can easily tell when the seal hits the transmission and then apply a bit more to compress it. I don't see reason to try and torque things and most of us have torque wrenches that are only reasonably accurate. (The only time I stripped a pan bolt was using a torque wrench.)

I was very careful to recover all the drained fluid and I measured it to provide a ball park figure for refill. It was close to 7 Qts in all. If you use a large container, it is easy to mark the fluid height and use that for a reassuring guide when you refill.

At 60K miles, there was very little material on the magnets but the fluid was fairly dark.

Please do not believe the sealed for life, never replace the ATF claims. ZF recommends changing fluid and filter at about 60K miles, 100K kilometers. Dealer$hips and manufacturers only need to hit the warranty standards.

The part of the process that caused me the most anxiety was the refill. The fill plug is just above the pan and you have to run the engine to circulate ATF fluid to determine the correct amount. If the engine weren't running you could only add the initial two or three quarts without overflow. The solution for me was to use a "pump" powered by a hand drill (about $14 at most hardware stores). 3/4 clear tubing (I think) fit the pump well and I had hose on hand that fit inside that to make a transition for the fill hole. Take the pump with you to the hardware store to get clear tubing.

You also need to be able to measure the temperature of the ATF. I did that with a thermocouple and multi-meter. (Do check the thermocouple at boiling point of water for accuracy.) Some Youtube mechanics measure the temperature of the outside of the pan but that seemed to be very crude to me.

If I had it to do over, I would start with warmed ATF. It took maybe 10 minutes to reach 38C on a warm but not hot day. I stopped there instead of 40C because I always lean to the "a little more is better than a little less school of thought." The directions are as if you warmed the fluid to 35C, installed the plug, waited for 40C, removed the plug, and then were happy if a small stream came out. I just waited for the temperature (38/40) and replaced the plug then. I had to leave it open for the thermocouple.

With 8 quarts in a large plastic container, I used the drill pump to put 2 or 3 quarts into the pan with engine off and until it started to overflow. Then the wife started the car (I recommend a two person job). The drill pump allowed me to quickly add the remaining ATF. I did not want the transmission pump to run drive so quickly adding AFT was very important to me. The wife went through the gears a few times to be sure that everything was filled. The slow part was waiting for the ATF to reach temperature.

The 7 quart standard provided a good initial measure and reassuring check. I filled it to overflow, waited for the correct temp, and replaced the plug. You do not need gloves to protect your hands from heat for the S Type.

If I did it again, I would warm the fluid to start or wait till a day like today when it is 106F ambient.

The dumb thing that I did -- I always make some mistake -- was that I poured the captured overflow fluid back into the large container with the unneeded ATF. Of course, the overflow fluid had some of the old ATF and was suitably darker and that messed up the new ATF. I had very carefully washed the pan so that I could recover the overflow. At $22 and quart, don't mix any old with new. I'm sure that mine was fine but I could never have used it and it isn't as if you add a bit now and again anyway.

The following 3 users liked this post by chatmanx:
1320racer (07-28-2017), Pristine97XK8Convertible (09-11-2015), Tibbetts (12-08-2020)