S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type R Fuel Filter Location / Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-Type R Fuel Filter Location / Replacement

Could not find any diagrams or postings of where the fuel filter is located on a 2005 S-Type R 4.2 V8. Has anyone performed this themselves? Tips/Procedures? Thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: S-Type R Fuel Filter Location / Replacement

Okay this is an easy one...
1. Remove your front driver side wheel.
2. Unscrew the inner fender splash guard on the rear side of the wheel well completely and peel it back to expose the area behind the shield.
3. The fuel filter is the silver cylinder about 6" long or so mounted vertically on the back side of the wheel well.
4. Unbolt the bracket from the car, maybe one 10mm bolt if memory serves correctly (could be smaller?)
NOW THE FUN PART!
5. You must now remove the fittings from the barbs...
6. THE SYSTEM IS UNDER PRESSURE!
7. Get a towel, a bucket, and put on some clothes you do not care about.
8. The fittings are pinch fittings and once you push the little button on the fitting in, it should pull off.
9. Premium gas is going to spray everywhere......
10. Remove both fittings and remove the old filter from the bracket and install new one.
11. Reverse removal procedure and reinstall.
12. Lower the car down and prime the system 3 times or so, by turning the key to on position, then back to off, then on, etc... to make sure you have fuel in the lines before starting.
13. And vuala your done.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:47 PM

WhiteSTR: Thanks alot for the DIY procedures. I actually did not expect many Jaguar owners to turn their own wrenches. The Subaru and BMW sites have deep technical bases. It's great to see factory techs and other Jaguar owners helping each other out.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:35 PM

Hello whiteSTR.....Kenny here, with '06 S-Type, 4.2....is the fuel filter in same location as the '05....I have the 18" chrome wheels on it....and attempted to remove the lugs with the wrench from the trunk.....was only able to get one lug out....then got my air compressor and tried to get them off with air.....no luck....just got this last month with 20,000 miles and replaced the oil and cabin air filters....and was going to do the fuel filter too....any suggestions.....Thanks...Kenny

Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Kenny,
I've had the very same problem with my lugs.. The best thing to do is go to Sears (best place to buy it because they're kind of expensive and if you buy it there you can take it back when it breaks) and get the longest 1/2" breaker bar they have (I think its 20-24" long) and get a 1/2" drive 17mm? socket or whatever size the lug nuts are.. (DO NOT use a 1/2" to 5/16" reducer or you will just break one after another). If you can't get enough leverage with that, you can put a steel 2-4 foot pipe over the breaker bar (a floor jack handle usually works for me..). I believe the filter is in the same location on the 4.2.. I'm almost positive.. Once you get those stuck lugs off, follow the directions exactly and you should be good.. Just remember A LOT of dirty fuel is going to spray out.. other than that good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.. Eric

Old 05-22-2009, 11:08 PM

What steps have been used to depressurize the system? Is there a relief valve somewhere? Pulling the fuse out? On my M3 I pulled the fuel pump fuse while running to release the pressure.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Over-tight wheel nuts can warp discs :-(
And you want them removable in case of a flat.

On other cars, I'd depressurise the fuel system by pulling the fuel pump fuse and trying to start the engine. Is the S-Type any different?

Old 05-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Default Depressurize via fuel pump fuse

Answered my own question: Pulled fuse 23 out of the luggage compartment relay box.
Started vehicle up. Let it stall. And only had about 10 seconds of fuel drip out when I pulled out the fuel filter.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:03 PM

Thanks Fellas, My Fuel filter is due in about 1500 miles too. Now I know how to tackle it.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:38 AM

I thought about changing my fuel filter but I got scared. I looked up how to de-pressurize the system and I tried pulling the fuel pump fuse but the car did not stall. I figured that I will just pay a mechanic rather than blowing up myself.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by willsmith11111
I thought about changing my fuel filter but I got scared. I looked up how to de-pressurize the system and I tried pulling the fuel pump fuse but the car did not stall. I figured that I will just pay a mechanic rather than blowing up myself.
Nah, no way to blow yourself up. Unless however, you decide to smoke a cigar while doing it. Other than than its pretty straight forward, just make sure you don't have any important appointments the next day because your going to be a little smelly..

Old 07-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the fuel filter in the same place on the 3.0L V6? It would be nice to comfirm before I go through all that. If so, thanks for the instructions. I hope to hear soon. Thanks.

Greg

Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, same place for the 3.0

Old 09-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

Look in the Stype faq section.
There is a great how too video thanks to Vance 580

Old 09-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

It is MUCH easier to depressurize the fuel system using the impact switch. This located on the driver’s side (USA Cars) foot well. Look for the small opening in the panel. Smack this panel and it will trip the inertia switch. So I start the car let it idle smack the inertia switch. Wait until the car has died. Then reset the inertia switch by pushing the red button which is inside the small access hole mentioned above. Now you have no fuel pressure when you disconnect the fuel filter.

You guys that mention lug nuts. Please do a search and swap out the crappy factory lug nuts for a solid version. I have done this on my 2005 STR and my wife’s 2003 Lincoln LS. The stock ones will only get worse until you won't be able to remove your wheel. Read several members stories about this nice feature. The good thing is we have a great replacement that you can get thru Rockauto.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 216 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
It is MUCH easier to depressurize the fuel system using the impact switch. This located on the driver’s side (USA Cars) foot well. Look for the small opening in the panel. Smack this panel and it will trip the inertia switch. So I start the car let it idle smack the inertia switch. Wait until the car has died. Then reset the inertia switch by pushing the red button which is inside the small access hole mentioned above. Now you have no fuel pressure when you disconnect the fuel filter.

You guys that mention lug nuts. Please do a search and swap out the crappy factory lug nuts for a solid version. I have done this on my 2005 STR and my wife’s 2003 Lincoln LS. The stock ones will only get worse until you won't be able to remove your wheel. Read several members stories about this nice feature. The good thing is we have a great replacement that you can get thru Rockauto.
If you check out my video I did no depressurizing what so ever and only got it dribbling out. If you watch my video and get your new filter ready before you disconnect you can just hook in the new one and only loose a little bit of fuel.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Did you let the car sit a while? The fuel pressure will gradually go to zero if the car sits long enough. I just never wait long enough.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 216 Likes on 128 Posts

I dont remember it sitting to long but I did have to move it to get it where I worked on it at since it was a little shaded. So it was ran right before I started. My STR never sits more then 12 hours. I come home from work around 6 and leave by 430 the next morning and with errands on the weekend its driven at least once a day.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Just changed mine. Took about 45mins (I hate the ford clips). Was fairly easy to get to and change. The price is what floored me. I paid $120 for the 540i fuel filter (and had to order it) vs $9.99 at Autozone. I think I am really going to like this car.

Quick Reply: S-Type R Fuel Filter Location / Replacement