S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sad to see her go, and only a year and a half :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sad to see her go, and only a year and a half :(

My wife (Deb) got rear ended the first of the month. It didn't look like that much damage, but the insurance adjuster thought otherwise.
The difference between giving her up and buying her back was only $700. And since it was still driveable (actually, still drove perfectly) we decided to hang onto her for temporary transportation if it were needed.
There had been winter weather in the area before the accident, so she sat in the garage bruised and dirty.
We had the check in hand on the 6th and went replacement car shopping on the 11th.
We had actually done some preliminary shopping the week before and found a very nice '06 with only 86k in our price range, but Deb had decided her day in the sun with the Jag had passed, and she wanted to go back to an SUV.
She was interested in the Dodge Nitro's, so we looked at a couple, but we ended up with another European -- Volkswagen Tiguan.

It was originally out of our price range, but a little back and forth and we got it done.

So -- it was time to send the Jag down the road. I shined her up and got some photo's taken and took her for one last drive.

Here's what a totaled S-type looks like. Only had 103k.

It took about 2 hrs from the time i put the ad on craigslist to cash in hand. Deb actually teared up a little bit when the new owner drove off.

Here's the one from the day we bought it:

Last edited by n2audio; 02-21-2017 at 12:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by n2audio:
jya (02-12-2024), user 7508230 (01-20-2022)
Old 02-21-2017, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Wow, such a shame. Glad that it worked out in the end. I have friends and family members that own VW Tiguans, they love em'. Hopefully Deb will love hers too!

Good luck in your journeys and don't be a stranger around here.

The following users liked this post:
Yus (06-03-2021)
Old 02-21-2017, 12:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just called the VW dealer to see what they'd charge me to get a 2nd key.

$135 for the key and an hr labor to program!!!
I'll get it done for 1/3 that cost.

This is why I avoid dealers (we bought it at a random used car lot).

And people told me the Jag would be expensive to own!

Old 02-21-2017, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts

At least Jaguar never hid cheat software in their cars!
That we know of.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:10 PM
Received 172 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by scatcat
At least Jaguar never hid cheat software in their cars!
That we know of.

Jag engineers may not be that smart.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

OMG! Our S-types have become so worthless when that little of damage totals the car.
Looks like a used tail light, bumper, and trunk lid would have kept it on the road. Glad to read that someone else purchased it with plans to keep it on the road.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by davidladewig
Jag engineers may not be that smart.
The VW Engineers weren't that smart. They got caught!

Old 02-21-2017, 06:53 PM
Received 172 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by scatcat
The VW Engineers weren't that smart. They got caught!
I hear they fired the wrong guy and the squealing began. You can't kick a gang member out who knows too much.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

In that case the ineptitude is with the man who fired him, if he knew of the criminal activity. If not the blame lies with the senior official, who knew what was going on. & still put someone, who was out of that loop, in charge of those who were involved in, or had knowledge of those who were perpetrating the crime. Either way it was a colossal ****-up, & as criminal enterprises go I'd give that one a great big $10billion, & counting, FAIL!!!

Last edited by scatcat; 02-21-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,984 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by davidladewig
I hear they fired the wrong guy and the squealing began. You can't kick a gang member out who knows too much.

The real story was a bit more mundane. An agency studying emissions standards was preparing a case to get Europe to adopt the stricter US limits. The idea was the technology was already in use and so would be easy to adopt. This outfit ran some real world tests with portable emissions analyzers to bolster their case. That's when they noticed the VW test cars had high emissions levels, but not with a BMW using different technology. They were trying to figure out why their test results were so far off for the VW vehicles. That's how it all unraveled.

Details here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volk...ssions_scandal

The following users liked this post:
VroomForTwo (08-09-2021)
Old 02-22-2017, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

& that was always the fatal flaw that was going to unravel the scheme eventually. The real head-scratcher is how it continued for so long. There has to have been collusion with authorities, because that disparity between what was claimed & what was real must have been obvious to anyone who ran an independent test. As corporate crimes go it's terribly amateur

Old 02-22-2017, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Would have needed to be an independent test that did not use the official test conditions.

Some of those are done quite a lot over here, and the emissions found to be hugely over the official (VW in this case) figures. And published.

But what happened next? The car makers (not just VW) either ignored them or argued they were not done under the official test regime.

If we'd had laws that allowed huge financial penalties (and why don't we???) then maybe something would have happened.

I gather VW no longer manage to sell as many diesel cars....

Old 02-22-2017, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't buy one on principle. & I like a lot of their diesel products. The V10 they put in the Toureg is one of torquiest beasts ever built! But I don't like being lied to, especially by big corporations who promote themselves as the pinnacle of perfection. So VW are off my short list, permanently, I'm sad to say. & if their diesel sales are really falling, I'd say I'm not alone in that position.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:20 PM
Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to bump an "old" thread, but I just have to say that I've owned this car for about 6 weeks now and I swear love it more every day.

Today was my Mom's 84th birthday and I took her out to eat tonight. I had my other car and her car blocking the garage where my Jag was parked, but I felt like it was worth the effort to take her to her 84th birthday dinner in the XK. For a woman who grew up in essentially Great Depression era Mississippi in a house with no air-conditioning, with wood stove heating, and no indoor plumbing for most of her childhood, I thought it would be a good idea to drive her in (when bought new) a $90,000 car. On the way home, I put the hammer down on a strait away and got up to about 60 in just a few seconds. It startled her and she told me to slow down a few times. After I slowed down, she laughed a little and said sheepishly, "that was kinda fun".

Thanks to my wonderful XK for giving my Mom a great birthday.

The following 3 users liked this post by Splendid Cat:
JpmorrisUM (02-08-2024), user 7508230 (01-20-2022), Yus (08-05-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 09:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Splendid Cat
Sorry to bump an "old" thread, but I just have to say that I've owned this car for about 6 weeks now and I swear love it more every day.

Today was my Mom's 84th birthday and I took her out to eat tonight. I had my other car and her car blocking the garage where my Jag was parked, but I felt like it was worth the effort to take her to her 84th birthday dinner in the XK. For a woman who grew up in essentially Great Depression era Mississippi in a house with no air-conditioning, with wood stove heating, and no indoor plumbing for most of her childhood, I thought it would be a good idea to drive her in (when bought new) a $90,000 car. On the way home, I put the hammer down on a strait away and got up to about 60 in just a few seconds. It startled her and she told me to slow down a few times. After I slowed down, she laughed a little and said sheepishly, "that was kinda fun".

Thanks to YOU for giving your Mom a wonderful birthday and thrill along the way

Old 02-08-2024, 08:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Splendid Cat

Damn man... Made me think of my grandmother in a lot of ways, it'll be
6 years since she passed on 3/18. She left us at 84 years young ​​​​but when in her late 60s - early 70s she drove a white XK8.

As a teen I drove it quite a bit more aggressively than she and I can still see and hear her exclamation "ooooooooohhhhh! You scared me!" Then we'd both chuckle
​​​​​​because after her initial alarm, she liked it too.

She once told me that in her younger years she saw a white Bentley and admired it, such that she said to herself she'd like to own one one day. She shared a very similar background to your mother, just swap Arkansas for Mississippi, and was incredibly devout. As such I would be stunned if she ever shared that with anyone but me, for the aforementioned reasons and also because I'm pretty damn sure if she had, she'd have had one, not that she couldn't have afforded it herself if she prioritized such things at all.

I was going to write that you should treasure her above almost all else but it's clear you already do. Thanks for being the impetus behind my nostalgia and sorry for my unsolicited and long-winded response, heh.

PS are there many/any active jag groups or events up in Memphis? I'm not terribly far and find myself up there fairly frequently. I actually flew in and bought my XKR in good ol' Ripley, TN!

​​​