S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat and Dash Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 06:16 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Seat and Dash Issues

I'm about to go on my first road trip in my Jag. If appears that the drivers seat does not travel far enough back. It has been this way since I bought it. The passenger seat goes back farther than the drivers. I have long legs and this will become uncomfortable quickly on a 400+ drive to Florida. Is this how the vehicle was made or could there be something blocking the track? It also does not tilt back.

On another note, my dash lights also have not worked since the purchase. As I will be doing a bit of night driving on this trip, is there a fuse that I should look for? I read somewhere that fuse F69 7.5a was the issue, but that seems to be for an earlier model S-Type, and I can't find a 7.5a fuse in the fuses.pdf that I have. Can someone help me with as well.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

My '03 V6 manual says these fuses in the passenger compartment fuse panel all play some role in the operation of the instrument cluster:

F4 (5A brown mini fuse)
F13 (5A brown mini fuse)
F17 (5A brown mini fuse)
F20 (10A red mini fuse)
and possibly...
F33 (10A red mini fuse)

Both of my seats travel way back, so it sounds like you have some obstruction preventing your driver seat from moving. Mine also tilts nearly horizontal.

You might als try adjusting your pedals forward to give you more legroom.

The manual says these fuses in the luggage compartment fuse box pertain to the driver seat:

F15 (30A pink cartridge)
F18 (30A pink cartridge)
F32 (10A red mini fuse)

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2017, 05:44 PM
Default LIGHTS

Jumpin Jag thanks!

Passenger 33 was missing. And then there was light!

Seats still aren't working. I'm thinking a blockage/stoppage some where also. If I didn't have to remove the seat, I wasn't, but that's my next task.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

You're welcome!

RE: TILT - Do you hear any motor noise when pushing the tilt button? You should, as my motors do make some noise. If the fuses are good, but the motor makes no noise, then I'd guess either the tilt button is not working, the tilt motor is toast, and/or the wiring between the two is damaged.

First, try spraying some electronic contact cleaner (e.g. CRC) in the button and working the button back and forth vigorously. If this doesn't give you any motor noise, you've gotta move on to more complcated diagnosis/repair where seat removal might be necessary. If you've got motor noise but no seat back movement, then my guess is you have a jam of some sort.

RE: Forward-backward seat adjustment... it sounds like you have some seat adjustment but not enough, which seems like a plain old-fashioned jam. A bright flashlight and long arms might help fix this issue without removing the seat. While you're under the seat with a flashlight, I would also look for loose or broken wires. Be careful, I think there may be some wiring related to the airbags under there that you don't want to mess with.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

I think there is something stopping it from going back, like in my x308 there was a snow brush blocking the seat from going all the way back. There could be gum or something stuck. Easiest way would be to get a flashlight and look under the rear foot well behind the drivers side seat and see if you can see anything. If you don't then remove the seat. But when you do remove the seat take the negative terminal off the battery. But the plus side if it doesn't work you will find some change and maybe a dollar bill!

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (02-22-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
You're welcome!

RE: TILT - Do you hear any motor noise when pushing the tilt button? You should, as my motors do make some noise. If the fuses are good, but the motor makes no noise, then I'd guess either the tilt button is not working, the tilt motor is toast, and/or the wiring between the two is damaged.

First, try spraying some electronic contact cleaner (e.g. CRC) in the button and working the button back and forth vigorously. If this doesn't give you any motor noise, you've gotta move on to more complcated diagnosis/repair where seat removal might be necessary. If you've got motor noise but no seat back movement, then my guess is you have a jam of some sort.
There is a click and minor movement both up and down. That is all. I was thinking maybe whatever is jamming the forward/backward might also be prohibiting the rear tilt.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Default Seat alignment off

I inspected up under the seat again and found nothing, but when I moved the drivers and passengers seat fully forward I noticed that the drivers seat is much farther forward than the passengers seat. What would cause this? But more importantly, how can I fix it?

Old 02-22-2017, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 03s-type_sport
I inspected up under the seat again and found nothing, but when I moved the drivers and passengers seat fully forward I noticed that the drivers seat is much farther forward than the passengers seat. What would cause this? But more importantly, how can I fix it?
I've never pulled my seats so I can't answer your questions. I think the only way you're gonna know the answers is to remove the seat and see what's going on under there.

Search the forum thoroughly as some other members have posted threads that included instructions on seat removal. I'm gonna continue to follow your progress, so please keep us posted.
Good luck!

Old 02-22-2017, 12:33 PM
Received 172 Likes on 133 Posts

Dimes, nickels, quarters, and for sure PENNIES are hard to see when they get between the slides. My guess is sumpin' is squeezin' you.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:02 PM

I'm familiar with seat removal. I'm thinking that the track movement was adjusted because it appears to have the same travel distance as the passenger seat. The only difference is that it goes up further and back shorter.

I'm hoping that there is a manual adjustment on the motor so that I can move it back. I'll keep everyone posted of what I find.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (02-23-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 05:40 AM

Pulled seat out. Nothing blocking the movement in the tracks. The rear tilt motor might be bad. I'll look at replacing it within the month unless I find out what's wrong with the seat and will fix it then.

BTW, I'm $0.36 richer.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member

Is pulling the seat difficult?

Old 03-01-2017, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Is pulling the seat difficult?
4 bolts and the connections and away you go.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jimbov8
4 bolts and the connections and away you go.
Thanks! It's on my ToDo list but have been putting it off thinking its more complicated than I'd want to attempt in my driveway. But maybe not. Again, gracias.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:48 PM

Thanks! It's on my ToDo list but have been putting it off thinking its more complicated than I'd want to attempt in my driveway. But maybe not. Again, gracias.
Just remember to disconnect the battery, air bags.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Just remember to disconnect the battery, air bags.
Will do, Thank you!

Old 03-22-2017, 05:46 AM

Seat issue fixed. I bought a used motor from a yard, but it too was stuck. I ended up placing a screwdriver thru the bolt holes and broke it free from the fully extended position. I then lubed the shaft with some grease. I'm going to return the used motor as I unstuck my motor.

It is pretty straight forward in removing the motor except for one of the bolts that holds the unit to the back of the frame. It is not easy to remove or replace. If someone knows of an easier way to remove it, please chime in. The bolt is partially blocked by the seat frame.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (03-24-2017)