S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seatbelt beeping noise!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Seatbelt beeping noise!

I know its not safe or good practice but does anyone here know how to safely remove the warning/beeping/chimming noise the car makes when the driver/passenger are not wearing seatbelts while driving?... Help

Old 01-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

hmm, RIP Riski

Seriously. Why would you do it?

BTW, here it's illegal not to wear them and it's saved a TON of lives.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

I agree with jagv8, but when the wife is shopping i sit in the car reading, engine on to keep warm/cool, without a seatbelt on, the beeping would drive me crazy.

My car has NO seatbelt warning

You could try this, not sure if it works with s-types

To enable or disable the seat belt warning chime...
1. Ensure the front passenger seat is unoccupied.

NOTE: Steps two to five must be completed within 60 seconds.

2. Turn the ignition to the RUN position (do not start the engine).

3. Buckle the driver safety belt buckle and wait until the seat belt warning lamp extinguishes.

4. Unbuckle the driver safety belt buckle and wait until the seat belt warning lamp illuminates.

5. Repeat Steps three and four a further eight times.

6. When the driver safety belt buckle is unbuckled for the ninth time a single chime will be heard. The single chime is acknowledgement that the beltminder feature has been disabled.

The beltminder feature will be disabled until the above process (Steps one to six) are repeated. Upon repeating the process the beltminder feature will be reactivated.

Last edited by police666; 01-22-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It doesn't go on and on beeping. You just get a decent warning. (I can't recall if it beeps as soon as you start the engine or you have to move out of Park as well.)

Old 01-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
It doesn't go on and on beeping. You just get a decent warning. (I can't recall if it beeps as soon as you start the engine or you have to move out of Park as well.)
Oh, ok, i used to drive a volvo as a "company" car and it used to beep nearly all the time if you had no seatbelt on, sometimes it would stop, but it was just to wind you up as it would start again even faster.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Seat belts

Originally Posted by Cream
I know its not safe or good practice but does anyone here know how to safely remove the warning/beeping/chimming noise the car makes when the driver/passenger are not wearing seatbelts while driving?... Help
Try connecting it around behind you

Old 01-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 215 Likes on 127 Posts

The beep only occurs if you are not in park if I'm not mistaken. I wear mine all the time so it never beeps. If you want to get rid of the beep put on the seatbelt thats kind of the point of it. If you are having the beep because of the passenger side and there is no one sitting there make sure you dont have heavy stuff on the seat because it senses if someone is sitting there and then beeps if they aren't wearing their seatbelt either. If you have to have stuff in the passenger seat just put the seatbelt together.

Your best bet is to just wear it. Not worth the ticket and maybe even what could happen that would be worse. Plus I think some insurance companies raise your rates for a seatbelt ticket.

Trending Topics

Old 01-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Wear your seatbelt
2) On my 2005 S type, the car won't beep unless it's in motion (doesn't matter if it's in gear, so long as you aren't moving)
3) Wear your seatbelt
4) If you still have a compelling reason to want to eliminate the beeping (I did, see below), there is a fuse you can pull. Just look it up in the fuse table in the manual. That's how I solved my problem.

My problem arose when one day my car decided that if someone was sitting in the passenger seat, the seatbelt chime would go off, regardless of whether the seatbelt was fastened (clearly this is a bad sensor). Since myself and my passengers ALWAYS wear seat belts, I just pulled the fuse.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Once upon a time when I was a younger lad, and drove a BMW e36 m3, I had no respect for such saftey devices either... And the BMW is probably more persistent than the Jag about not shutting up that the belt is off.

So one enterprising guy I knew decided to take matters into his own hands, and had the male portion of the buckle replicated by a shop (i think he worked or knew someone who worked in a metal fab shop). And created a few sets of "buckles" that were cut with a waterjet. Basically plug them into the female side of the belt buckle and voila. You always had your belt on as far as the car was concerned....

Now that I'm older and wiser, and have seen several people perish because of not wearing the belt (or at least a contributing factor). I wouldn't condone such practices.

Take care,

George