S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reprogramming Voice Module to recognize Phone

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Reprogramming Voice Module to recognize Phone

Hi, Well, it's been a while since I did all my retrofits (Bluetooth, voice, nav) and they are all still working! Anyway, the only issue I have is that when I got everything working, the voice system didn't know there was a phone in the system. When I say 'Phone Help' it doesn't recognize the command. I figure the module just came from a car without a phone so it just isn't programmed right. As far as I know, the modules can just be reprogrammed by the dealer. But, I just talked to my dealer and they said they don't know if it can be done. Now, at least they told me they didn't know instead of telling me a bunch of nonsense. There are only about 50 late model jags in my city and of those only a couple have the voice option so it is understandable that they aren't sure. They told me I was the first person to ask them about this stuff! I'm going in later today and the tech is going to look at the module and try to figure out if he can do it. I'm almost positive that its just a matter of updating the software in the voice unit, but just wanted to check to see if anyone here can back me up on that, or if they have any info on if this can or can't be done. I don't feel like shopping for another voice module!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I just fitted my s type r 2003 with voice and phone bluetooth. All is working fine exept the voice and phone combination. Phone help gives me all the phone commands. Can't seem to get voice name tags to save though. Also can't dial from voice commands e.g. phone dial memory 1, gets stuck when I give the yes command to proceed with the call, Also doesn't want to accept any name tag that is given to system.
Anybody else have any issues like this?
regards
Joe

Old 05-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Maybe a microphone problem? Did you fit the extra one up on the roof?

Old 05-29-2012, 04:28 PM

Don't think its a mic problem as the bluetooth works really well and everybody says that it sounds really clear. Am thinking maybe the dealer needs to do something what do you think?
Also system picks up other commands really easily e.g. radio tune, climate temp navigatioon zoom.
regards
Joe

Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just a thought (and this is from memory of my wife's car, not mine)....

Many (most?) of the phone commands require a confirmation whereas the commands for other sub-systems do not. When you say "phone dial memory 1", do you then wait for the command repeat and then press the button and say "Yes". The system is not hands-free so you need to re-press the button and then say "yes" or "no".

This used to trip me up and I was frustrated as all get out. Then one day I stumbled on the button press and a brief wait before I said "yes". Worked fine.

Eric

Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM

Thanks Eric,
The problem was not the voice modle or the install or the dealer having to programme anything it was me. Yes i needed to hit the voice button to enter the name tags. Once done the tags were accepted.
Problem solved i now have a fully functioning bluetooth setup and voice module.
regards
Joe

Last edited by joebit; 05-30-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad I could help.

Frankly, we don't use the phonebook in the car. My wife and I share some personal numbers but for the most part, we have vastly different lists of contacts. With two different Bluetooth phones with internal directories, it's easier for us to use the directory in the phone.