S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, got my 2005 S-Type 4.2 today...and it looks like I have a blown head gasket

Old 03-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
HEy I'm really sorry to hear what happened, don't be down as of yet, try this before spending thousands for a head gasket fix. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3suQy44G_B0

This stuff is amazing it worked on my friends Chevy Impala that had a blown head gasket. Still to this day its holding up.

Good Luck,

DO NOT PUT THIS CRAP IN A JAGUAR MOTOR UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Take care,

George

The following users liked this post:
JOsworth (03-11-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

From what I have seen of the car, and for the price you paid...I would fix it and enjoy the car.

I would check you oil if it's foamy or has water in it you have a blown head gasket if not I would look at something else..

Could be a easy fix.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Can someone send me or post a link to this car. I'm really curious.

Take care,

George

Old 03-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Couldn't agree more- don't touch the car and do NOT put any 'miracles in bottle' in the engine! It's too late to issue the standard warnings about buying cars sight unseen, but at least there's opportunities open to you having bought the car from a dealer on eBay vs. some guy off the street. Any repairs that you attempt at this point will give the seller an excuse to deny any compensation or refund.

I wouldn't consider a car with a blown head gasket @ $7400 a 'good price'- what else is wrong with it? Why did it sell so cheap? There's almost always a story behind the story.
I'm not viewing it as a miracle in a bottle, I view it as a short term fix that will allow me to do other maintenance first (changing all the fluids, plugs, serpentine belt, hoses & brakes) and then in 6 months or so deal with the HG. This is of course assuming that I can't get the dealership to fix it. I'm certainly not touching it until that plays out though.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
DO NOT PUT THIS CRAP IN A JAGUAR MOTOR UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Take care,

George

Wow- wish I had watched this video earlier- that's just frightening. 'Put your heater on on full and your fan on full too' WTF? I wonder if he recommends this stuff for air cooled engines too? LOL

Old 03-10-2011, 10:01 AM

Can someone send me or post a link to this car. I'm really curious.

Take care,

George
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jmcGoBlue
I'm not viewing it as a miracle in a bottle, I view it as a short term fix that will allow me to do other maintenance first (changing all the fluids, plugs, serpentine belt, hoses & brakes) and then in 6 months or so deal with the HG. This is of course assuming that I can't get the dealership to fix it. I'm certainly not touching it until that plays out though.
Trust me. Don't do it. This isn't a $500 hoopty you're trying to get a few months out of or sell to some unsuspecting victim.

You will take a $1000 hg job and turn it into a $2500 or more engine swap.

Take care,

George

Old 03-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Take it to a shop get an estimate. Do not dump any crap in it.

Contact ebay AND the dealer ASAP

Situations for Which Protection is Offered

VPP offers protection only for losses associated with eligible transactions for qualifying vehicles in the following situations:
  1. You pay for a vehicle and never receive it.
  2. You send a refundable deposit for a vehicle and never receive it.
  3. You pay for a vehicle and receive it but suffer losses because:
    1. The vehicle was determined by a law enforcement agency to have been stolen at the time of the end of the listing.
    2. The vehicle has an undisclosed or unknown lien against its title.
    3. The vehicle make, model or year is different than what was described in the seller's listing at the time you placed your bid or offer.
    4. A title is required for the vehicle by your state and the seller's state but you did not receive a title from the seller and it is not possible to obtain a title from the appropriate DMV.
    5. The vehicle has a title with an undisclosed salvage, rebuilt/rebuildable, unrebuildable, reconstructed, scrapped/destroyed, junk, lemon, manufacturer buyback, or water damage brand at the time of the end of the listing. (This protection is not available for vehicles listed in the Dune Buggies, Race Cars or Trailers categories.)
    6. The vehicle is less than 20 years old and has more than a 5,000 mile odometer discrepancy from the mileage as stated in the seller's listing. (This protection is only available for vehicles listed in the Cars & Trucks and RVs & Campers categories.)

In addition, the VPP also provides protection against certain undisclosed damage for vehicles that are less than 10 years old:
    7. The vehicle had undisclosed engine, body, transmission, and/or frame damage at the time of purchase that will cost more than $1,000 to repair. The cost of repair to any one of those components must exceed $1,000. For vehicles in the Boats (engine and hull only), Buses, Commercial Trucks, and RVs & Campers categories, the cost of the undisclosed engine, body, transmission, or frame damage must exceed $1,500. Race Cars are not eligible for this protection. Vehicles that are subject to a recall for this type of damage are not eligible for VPP.
Let me know if you need an estimate for a head gasket repair.

Take care

George

Old 03-10-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by achysklic
From what I have seen of the car, and for the price you paid...I would fix it and enjoy the car.

I would check you oil if it's foamy or has water in it you have a blown head gasket if not I would look at something else..

Could be a easy fix.
Thanks for the advice, I'll check the oil when I get home this evening. I'll probably just take it in for a diagnosis as well.

As for the car, I agree that it's worth keeping at that price. I almost bought this one locally - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT but after thinking about it I realized that I could get the one with a 4.2 for $6000 less and could take care of any problems with the price difference. I just wasn't expecting the vehicle to have (possibly) such a big undisclosed issue immediately considering that it's coming from a franchised MB dealership.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 AM

Trust me. Don't do it. This isn't a $500 hoopty you're trying to get a few months out of or sell to some unsuspecting victim.

Take care,

George
Thanks, that's what I was looking for here...cost/benefit analysis. If it's $1000 to fix the HG, and that's the problem, I'll get it done ASAP. If it's $2k it becomes more of an issue.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:17 AM

Take it to a shop get an estimate. Do not dump any crap in it.

Contact ebay AND the dealer ASAP

Situations for Which Protection is Offered

VPP offers protection only for losses associated with eligible transactions for qualifying vehicles in the following situations:
  1. You pay for a vehicle and never receive it.
  2. You send a refundable deposit for a vehicle and never receive it.
  3. You pay for a vehicle and receive it but suffer losses because:
    1. The vehicle was determined by a law enforcement agency to have been stolen at the time of the end of the listing.
    2. The vehicle has an undisclosed or unknown lien against its title.
    3. The vehicle make, model or year is different than what was described in the seller's listing at the time you placed your bid or offer.
    4. A title is required for the vehicle by your state and the seller's state but you did not receive a title from the seller and it is not possible to obtain a title from the appropriate DMV.
    5. The vehicle has a title with an undisclosed salvage, rebuilt/rebuildable, unrebuildable, reconstructed, scrapped/destroyed, junk, lemon, manufacturer buyback, or water damage brand at the time of the end of the listing. (This protection is not available for vehicles listed in the Dune Buggies, Race Cars or Trailers categories.)
    6. The vehicle is less than 20 years old and has more than a 5,000 mile odometer discrepancy from the mileage as stated in the seller's listing. (This protection is only available for vehicles listed in the Cars & Trucks and RVs & Campers categories.)

In addition, the VPP also provides protection against certain undisclosed damage for vehicles that are less than 10 years old:
    7. The vehicle had undisclosed engine, body, transmission, and/or frame damage at the time of purchase that will cost more than $1,000 to repair. The cost of repair to any one of those components must exceed $1,000. For vehicles in the Boats (engine and hull only), Buses, Commercial Trucks, and RVs & Campers categories, the cost of the undisclosed engine, body, transmission, or frame damage must exceed $1,500. Race Cars are not eligible for this protection. Vehicles that are subject to a recall for this type of damage are not eligible for VPP.
Let me know if you need an estimate for a head gasket repair.

Take care

George
And this is where I really screwed up. Rather than submitting the bid in the auction & waiting for it to close, I arranged to pay the opening bid price directly to them & they ended the auction early. Dumb mistake.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Dealer has a 90% feedback rating. That's the lowest I've seen and is a red flag. The individual comments indicate predicaments similar to yours. The auction clearly states:

Understand that the vehicle you are inquiring about is being sold As - Is by Mercedes-Benz of Nashville.

ie no warranty. That always means (to me) that the car has problems that they're aware of and are not going to fix.

Take care,

George
'Hoopty'- that's a new one on me. I had to look it up.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hoopty

Your comments about potential damage from this product are well founded. The interaction of the chemicals with those of the coolant itself vs. engine, radiator etc. just make it too big of an unknown to even risk a chance.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jmcGoBlue
And this is where I really screwed up. Rather than submitting the bid in the auction & waiting for it to close, I arranged to pay the opening bid price directly to them & they ended the auction early. Dumb mistake.
Wait. Did you bid on it, and they ended it with you as the winner. OR did they end it as no longer for sale etc.

I just saw the auction 0 bids. I'd call the used car manager over there and give him hell.

Take care,

George

Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

2005 JAGUAR S-TYPE 4.2...Silver over Black Leather...Very Good Looking car that Drives and Runs Very Well! Tires are in Good Condition. Features include an Alpine Audio System, Sunroof, dual climate control and a CD Changer. Only Very Minor Scratches on bumpers. CARFAX shows NO ACCIDENTS!

Take Care,

George

Old 03-10-2011, 10:54 AM

Well, I spoke with the used car manager there. He was very nice of course (he's a car salesman), and he also gave me a complete rundown on the service history of the vehicle. Seems that over the past 5000 miles it's been to the Jag dealership several times with various coolant system issues, and actually has a long history of little problems. Somehow this is somewhat reassuring to me that the issue may be elsewhere, along with the fact that the previous owner always took it to the dealership for service so I have a full history. I'm going to get a professional diagnoses & see what they say.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

The car was at idle while the pics were taken, NOTICE the yellow check engine light was ON!!!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Default In the past few years:

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/jc1009/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/jc1009/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-6.png[/IMG] J C ENTER JAG REPAIR (Tech 3120, 50.00) Complaint: C/S COOLANT LEAK Correction: PERFORMED COOLING SYSTEM PRESSURE TEST, FOUND LEAK AT THERMOSTAT HOUSING, R/R THERMOSTAT HOUSING

J C ENTER JAG REPAIR (Tech 3750, 184.60) Complaint: CUSTOMER STATES ENGINE LIGHT RESET, PERFORM SMOKE TEST AS NEEDED Correction: EVAP LEAK, CHECKED SYSTEM FOUND EVAP CANISTER LEAKING, REPLACED CANISTER ASSEMBLY

J C ENTER JAG REPAIR (Tech 3750, 26.00) Complaint: CUSTOMER STATES CAR FAILED MARTA Correction: HOOKED UP IDS, PULLED CODES P0174 AND P0446, TRACED PROBLEM DOWN TO MOUSE CHEWED VACUUM LEAK ON INTAKE, IF RESETS WILL NEED TO SMOKE TEST

R C ENTER REPAIR DESCRIPTION (Tech 3650, 20.80) Complaint: LOW COOLANT LIGHT IS COMING ON Correction: REPLACE EXPANSION TANK

822065 W AIR CONDITIONING CONTROL MODULE - RENEW (Tech 1, 12.50) Complaint: A/C SYSTEM NOT COOLING, DRIVERS SIDE COOLING PASSENGER SIDE NOT Cause: INTERMITTANT OPEN IN CONTROL MODULE Correction: AIR CONDITIONING CONTROL MODULE - RENEW

264507 W THERMOSTAT - ENGINE SET - RENEW (Tech 25, 22.80) Complaint: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON Cause: THERMOSTAT STICKING DTC P0116 P0128 Correction: THERMOSTAT - ENGINE SET - RENEW
869999 W DIAGNOSTIC ALLOWANCE (Tech 25, 5.70) Complaint: HEARING WHAT SOUNDS LIKE THE FAN STRIKING SOMETHING ON START-UP Correction: DIAGNOSTIC ALLOWANCE
00 C NO CHARGE (Tech 25, 0.00) Complaint: 40K SERVICE Cause: PERFORM 40K SERVICE Correction: HA AFTERMARKET OIL FILTER COULD BE CAUSING OIL PRESSURE LOSS OVERNIGHT
X10 W MINOR SERVICE 10K, 20K, 40K, 50K, 70K, 80K, 110K (Tech 25, 24.70) Complaint: FUEL TANK REPLACEMENT BULLETIN 310-R176 02/08/07 Cause: REPLACE FUEL TANK AS PER RECALL Correction: 40K SERVICE

Old 03-10-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
The car was at idle while the pics were taken, NOTICE the yellow check engine light was ON!!!
Yep, but they did disclose that in the eBay ad. I told them that I needed a diagnosis before I'd be willing to buy it, so they sent it to the Jag dealership & it was diagnosed as a random engine misfire.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Although it could be HGF it doesn't sound anything like certain (and is unusual on such a car). I'm hoping for you!

Really good diagnosis needed, I feel.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Why did you buy the car if it had a random misfire? How much did you pay? If it was like 7 grand, no worries. I would do one major repair, and drive it easy so it lasts another 50,000 miles, and then throw the car away if it breaks again big time after that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well, got my 2005 S-Type 4.2 today...and it looks like I have a blown head gasket