S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what color does jaguar s-type coolant have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what color does jaguar s-type coolant have?

I just checked the coolant reservoir which is located right under the jaguar emblem.. I was supposed to check how much collant it had in it, and What I saw was that coolant was below the min line and it had orange color..

So here are questions.

1. what color does coolant have? ( if it is orange, it meant it is too old?, so I need to change whole coolant?)

2. and tell me the proper way to check amount of coolant.( The reason why I checked coolant was that I saw the warning message like " coolant low " with red right. Also as I could see, coolant was leaked, under portion of reservoir, there were some orange fluid stains which seemed coolant's drops.

3. I was told that jaguar s-type and other type use the timing chain, not timing belt. but my s-type seemed like using timing belt it had to be changed by around 60000~70000miles and cost an arm and a leg..

mine is 03 s-type 3.0
thx

Last edited by kblood; 10-23-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Orange. Don't use anything else and don't mix them. Previous threads explain.

Coolant reservoirs are prone to failure. Again, previous threads give lots of details. Just read them and fix it

Change spark plugs at 100,000 I think. Chains maybe 150,000. But things wear so consider when and whether worthwhile. The chain guides and tensioners probably need changing before the chains but probably not enough cars have done big mileages to say. You should have lots of time yet for any of these. (But not if it overheats so fix the reservoir.)

Old 10-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Expanding on previous comments:

Coolant tanks are around $125 or so and are fairly easy to replace. Procedure to check is pretty much the same as for other cars.

The 3.0 engines are fairly bullet-proof and are not prone to cam chain failures. The early 4.0 V8 engines did have a problem with the cam chain tensioners though. I selected my '05 3.0 mostly because of the dependability of the engine. I have not read of any real issues other than the coils and spark plugs. The right bank is a PITA to swap because you have to remove the intake manifold.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Old 10-23-2009, 08:14 PM

thx for your comments.
Anyway shoud I fill more coolant ? I mean coolant level was located below the minimum line...
and I still did not get it if my jag uses a timing belt or chain..
http://www.fixya.com/cars/t2599980-s..._belt_or_chain <--- check it out and see answer in that page.. thx

Last edited by kblood; 10-23-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:58 PM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe the coolant needs to meet ford WSS M97B44-D
Last time I used Prestone "Dexcool" that comes with an orange cap

Old 10-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Originally Posted by kblood
thx for your comments.
Anyway shoud I fill more coolant ? I mean coolant level was located below the minimum line...
and I still did not get it if my jag uses a timing belt or chain..
http://www.fixya.com/cars/t2599980-s..._belt_or_chain <--- check it out and see answer in that page.. thx
It does have a chain, not a belt.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:32 AM
Default hm,,

I know how diffierent feature it has btw belt and chain, and what I could see was turly belt, even my friend with me said it was belt. Tomorrow I will take pic and I will put it on the thread for u guys, thx T T

Old 10-24-2009, 02:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by danielsatur
1) What color do you like ?
Do Not Use Just Any Coolant... See previous post...Dexcool is acceptable. Always check the manual for specified fluids.

Also, change the coolant tank ASAP. That is a known issue with all S's. If it fails beyond a small leak, and the car overheats, well then all kinds of things may need replacement.

Last edited by JOsworth; 10-24-2009 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:15 AM
Veteran member

1) What color do you like ?
The most important thing is, that it's not contaminated,short, and you keep on schedule for flushing.

Orange - is more environrmentally safe and dosen't smell good to small animals.
Green - isn't environmentally safe, the sweet smell attracts small animals, if consumed they will die.

Don't mix orange + green, it's one or the other.
Mix 50% with water, check coolant level cool, and use a coolant tester.

2) The coolant bleed procedure is on another thread.

Search forum tool ''Bleed valve or procedure'' , not thread.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...rocedure+bleed

Don't forget look through the grill for pine needles,leaves,and bugs, the Air conditioner condenser core could get pluged up, thus cause cooling problems.

3) The 1st & 2nd Generation secondary cam CHAIN tensioners would go bad, because of plastic, They would wear like a cheap tire, The new ones are made of metal.

Theres a precedure for prevention tensioner replacement for 1999-2000, if not,the timing chain could derail, by a bad Seconday Cam chain tensioner.
The interfearence type engine isn't very forgiven, the valves will bend.

1997-2000 1st generation (bad)
2001-2004 2nd generation ?
2005 - 3rd generation (Good)

Not sure,this 2002 S TYPE 4.0 Engine locked-up, was it caused by a bad tensioner?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ighlight=chain

I got A 2000 S TYPE 4.0 with 150kmiles, were I only replaced one secondary cam chain tensioner on the left bank (1-4)
with a 3rd generation, the Right bank (5-8) is the original. I really beleave there was extra wear & tear, because of the water and misfiring issues on the left side.
PLEASE stop mis-informing users. Mis-information can cause more damage than just not saying anything at all.

The cam tensioner issue is on V8 cars only! This user has a V6. There is only one generation modern S Type. It ran from 1999.5 (2000 model) through 2008. There was a mechanical and interior update in 2003, then a body update in 2005. The V8 update occurred for the 2003 model year and the displacement was changed to 4.2L from 4.0L. A few of the other major updates for 2003 were a re-tune of the V6, the replacement of the Ford sourced 5 speed auto to a ZF 6 speed, and a redo of the suspension components.

Also, my opinion (and I'm sure others would agree). Who in their right mind would only change the tensioner on one side? If you actually did that (doubt it), why would you go through all the disassembly needed and not go in both banks and change them. Only changing one side could actually cause more harm than good. Please stop making suggestions to other users that could cause them to damage their vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
Josef15111 (11-21-2022)
Old 10-24-2009, 03:26 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by kblood
I know how diffierent feature it has btw belt and chain, and what I could see was turly belt, even my friend with me said it was belt. Tomorrow I will take pic and I will put it on the thread for u guys, thx T T
I'm sure Norri wasn't doubting your ability to tell the difference. But, Norri is very correct when saying that the 3.0 uses chains and not belts. One of the timing chains is actually visible from the oil filler. Remove the cap and shine a flashlight inside. You will see one of the chains. Please do post pictures of what you are talking about... There are plenty of helpful people here that will help you trouble shoot what your looking at.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

In case you mean the belt at the front, that's not for timing the engine. Instead, it drives the auxiliary items such as alternator. The engine uses chains for timing as everyone keeps saying

The diesel S-Type does use a cam belt.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Way too much BAD and WRONG info above!!!
CCC gave you the correct answer. Please disregard the long and wrong posts above!!!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Ignore the idiot who keeps mentioning green!

Old 10-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Veteran member

LOL - Orange or Green = Anti freeze protection!

Yes, go with whats recommend, but my Jaguars don't care.

$125 for a Hot water bottle, because of Heat damage. Himmmmmmmmm.....

I would consider searching forums, and using a search tool, befor opening a new thread.

Put one issue per thread, so technicians and engineers can focus on the problem.

CAUTION - If the coolant bleed procedure isn't done right, you will cause some serious heat damage to your engine, the block + heater core needs to be bleed right, it has alot spare coolant hoses for the Dual climate control valve.
Please post a picture of "YOUR JAGUARS"! Complete with Home Depot house trim, silicone sealed coils, and now the wrong coolant! Please!

Or stop before someone actually listens to you and ruins their car....

Old 10-24-2009, 11:56 AM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

These days, I have yellow, blue, pink, and orange coolant in my european cars from the factory so I'm not too sure if color is a really good indicator of the coolant chemistry anymore. IMO, I think the confusion tends to push the owners to buy the expensive factory coolant.

Unlike other european makes and even Ford's volvo, Jag actually uses and calls out a common ford coolant spec which can help save quite a bit of $$$. You don't have to play the game of "I think the Porsche coolant for $75 gal is really the same as the $50 audi or $25 VW coolant." Just look for the compatible with ford WSS M97B44-D on the bottle. I just know the Prestone stuff is orange but can't say for sure all Dexcool is orange.

Regardless of color, many of the different coolants may mix safely but there are two types of incompatible coolants which will cause the coolant to turn into a gel.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

It's not as easy as choosing which colour looks good in your expansion bottle, I'd stick with the Jag (Ford) spec fluid and try to keep the same brand if I knew what was in there.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_...e/1272436.html

Old 10-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

[quote=danielsatur;148849] - I like the premium green coolant, because of the protection of rust, or the rust inhibitor formula might be better!

Danielson, I find it hard to believe that you would use anything "premium" according to everything you have ever posted here and there! I am anticipating your antidote on using duct tape and bubble gum.

Quick Reply: what color does jaguar s-type coolant have?