S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the crankshaft sensor?

Old 02-11-2017, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the crankshaft sensor?

It won't start and when I try the rpms do not go up at all. It turns over and makes a funny sound. Help please.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:11 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Beau Holden
It won't start and when I try the rpms do not go up at all. It turns over and makes a funny sound. Help please.

Beau,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Jaguar. In order for us to be of any real help, we will need to know the year and model of your Jaguar, and the engine displacement (3.0L, 4.2L, etc.).

While 0 rpm on the tach while cranking is a common indication of crank position sensor failure, a "funny sound" is not. Depending on the vehicle, there may also be some fuses and other components that can cause the tach to read 0 while cranking.

It might be helpful to have the car scanned for any stored diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) that could help narrow down the diagnostic effort.

We'll look forward to learning the year, model and engine of your car, and it would also be helpful if you could try to describe the funny sound it is making while cranking the engine.

In the meantime, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jag and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
EssOess (03-03-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 11:06 PM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Crank sensor is located under engine facing transmission. It can be had at the local auto parts store for about $40. I don't know about the s type but my xj doesn't move the rpm gauge until a couple of seconds after the engine runs.
I recently replaced mine a couple of months ago for no start issue.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:00 AM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Crank sensor is located under engine facing transmission. It can be had at the local auto parts store for about $40. I don't know about the s type but my xj doesn't move the rpm gauge until a couple of seconds after the engine runs.
I recently replaced mine a couple of months ago for no start issue.

Beau has never returned to tell us the year and model of his car. If it's not actually an S-Type, the crank sensor could be on the front of the engine. Also, depending on the model, there are EMS-related fuses that can cause no-start and 0 rpm on the tach. So until Beau confirms the year, model and engine of his car, we're just guessing.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
EssOess (03-03-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,752 Posts

Stop throwing parts at something you plainly don't understand.

Get the code or you are just shooting in the dark. Crank sensor failure is VERY rare on the S Type with any engine but again we can't help until we know more details as Don suggested.

Save your money and do some proper troubleshooting before buying anything.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:00 PM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

I guess I assumed Beau had done his troubleshooting and had narrowed it down to crank sensor.
The jag isn't the best at giving up codes and can give false codes as well.
I found myself in this situation recently with no start and no codes.
Checked for spark, fuel pressure then fuses. All good. Pulled the crank sensor to test and didn't seem to be giving good voltage. Luckily the local auto parts store carried it at $40.
Ironically this situation had left me stranded at the auto parts store parking lot.
I am curious about the funny noise beau mentioned.
Hope he can chime in for more info.