S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wifey's '04 got whacked today :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wifey's '04 got whacked today :(

She said she was sitting at the back of a line of cars and saw them coming the whole way.

Boom. She's fine btw.

The car's in really good condition (just dirty) besides the damage obviously.
It just happened a few hours ago so we're anxiously awaiting word from the insurance company to see what's going to be done.
She's pretty sad about it. It's going on a year and a half now that she's been driving it and hasn't ever enjoyed a car as much as she does this one.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Glad your wife is fine. Keep in mind that due to the low values of our S-Types now, it doesn't take much damage for the insurance companies to total them. Hope yours avoids that fate and that the at-fault driver's insurance company steps up to the plate for you....

Old 02-02-2017, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Sorry to see this happened. Like Jon mentioned, glad you wife is fine.

Something I learned from Jon several years ago was "diminished auto value". If you are like me, then read Jons thread below. I have never heard of this before.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t-today-21898/

Old 02-02-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,754 Posts

Odds are it will be totaled and not fixed by the insurance.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Sorry to see this happened. Like Jon mentioned, glad you wife is fine.

Something I learned from Jon several years ago was "diminished auto value". If you are like me, then read Jons thread below. I have never heard of this before.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t-today-21898/
Just finished reading Jon's story. A lot of great information.
Coincidentally, my wife is a legal assistant at a highly regarded firm here in town. She assists a personal injury attorney who's job is basically to make sure insurance companies meet their requirements on claims -- often traffic accident claims. Injury isn't our issue, but obviously property damage isn't a big leap. She was one of the first people that called my wife and was actually disappointed we didn't call her first.

Diminished value is certainly something I'll look into. On a ~$7000 car we clearly wouldn't be expecting thousands of dollars, but it's extremely likely the accident it will come into question when/if we try to sell it.

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Odds are it will be totaled and not fixed by the insurance.
Yeah, I've considered that. We hope not, but shopping for a replacement S-type wouldn't be the worst thing in the world

My wife's already received multiple emails from Geico claiming they will work with us on whatever we need. That's reassuring.

Going to need a rental car to start with.

Last edited by n2audio; 02-02-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:00 PM

Yep, they totaled it.

It's still driveable and buyback is only $700 so we'll probably keep it while we're looking for a replacement.
I got the trunk to close with a little finesse. It seems to be working normally now. Only remaining drivability issue is the blinkers are acting strange. And it needs a muffler and TP.

We found a nice '06 regionally for <$7k and only 87k miles, but my wife will be the driver and she seems to have had her Jag fix.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Received 172 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by n2audio
Yep, they totaled it.

It's still driveable and buyback is only $700 so we'll probably keep it while we're looking for a replacement.
I got the trunk to close with a little finesse. It seems to be working normally now. Only remaining drivability issue is the blinkers are acting strange. And it needs a muffler and TP.

We found a nice '06 regionally for <$7k and only 87k miles, but my wife will be the driver and she seems to have had her Jag fix.
I showed the photo to my brother (owns body shop). He said it was very repairable and that the light might be a floating ground and something may be touching the metal of the car.

But, I agree with your wife. I've tried one and won't buy another one. Just too much trouble for the mileage to keep replacing failing parts. This is the first used car I've owned in 30 years and it is the last.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:57 PM

We can only afford used cars. Actually, finding something we like, and can afford with less than 100k we consider a bonus.
I do any maintenance that doesn't involve engine or trans removal (although I did take out an FWD trans once). We only drove this for 13k, but the only thing I did to it was change the trans pan/fluid and a couple oil changes.

I was just starting to get familiar with it. I'd be totally comfortable with another one.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

Used cars make so much more financial sense from a total cost-of-ownership perspective. The massive depreciation that all new vehicles suffer within their first two to three years (especially any high-end niche sedan) makes purchasing them new fiscally irresponsible regardless of your net worth. That said, one must learn to choose any used car very wisely and only after sufficient research. Take your time and do your homework. Obtaining the service/maintenance/repair history is Task No. 1 in the process. Make your final decision using your head, not your heart. Keep your emotions completely out of the transaction and remember, there is always a better deal out there....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
aholbro1 (02-06-2017), Jumpin' Jag Flash (02-22-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,754 Posts

I have only purchased used cars in my life. I can easily afford nearly any car brand new every year. But a new car purchase is just about the stupidest thing you can do financially.

I have benefited immensely by buying used and I focus on shunned or hated cars. The S Type is a prime example of a car nobody wants but there is nothing wrong with it.

We recently purchased a 2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost. With 24K miles for less than 1/2 the new price. With full factory warranty to 100K miles. 365HP twin turbo 3.5L V-6. AWD and the car has EVERY option you could buy for 2013. It's faster than the STR and with AWD there are no traction problems. With a tune these run in the 12's and with meth injection they run mid 11 second 1/4 mile. That's fast for an old grandma car!

Lincoln, Jaguar are great used cars and absolutely terrible new car purchases.

Since I am DIY guy I get another great tax free benefit because with these internet forums there are no unknown problems anymore. I have come to this forum multiple times and have learned so much that it's a pleasure working on my STR.

It also shows that we have some VERY good mechanics on this forum and I am a rank amateur! Plus the factory techs that stop in from time to time add info you just can't get anywhere.

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
aholbro1 (02-06-2017), Jumpin' Jag Flash (02-22-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 08:46 AM
Received 172 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I have only purchased used cars in my life. I can easily afford nearly any car brand new every year. But a new car purchase is just about the stupidest thing you can do financially.

I think it depends on lifestyle/career. For me, being on the road a good amount of miles, breakdowns are not in the plan. You just can't be a million miles from the local shop and have to deal with car trouble. It wrecks work, it wastes time, and drives you NUTSZO.

Buying new for me has been positive. The last 6 units all were driven between 125000-187000 miles with ZERO shop time. I am not counting regular upkeep like oil, brakes, tires, etc. I also did not buy any luxury cars....it was dodge minivan, 2 chevrolets, GMC, and 2 chryslers. My only "luxury" car in my lifetime was a Maserati, but that was way back in 80's. It did not perform as expected and was dumped quickly.

So...I did buy a used Jag S type and overall, it has one thing going for it. The best body style anywhere. The car is loaded with junk parts to the point of silly. The reliability is more like a Yugo than a luxury car.

That said, I like tinkering with cars and have the tools and moderate skills to do it, and I am about 50% of the way rebuilding a low mileage car.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Used cars make so much more financial sense from a total cost-of-ownership perspective. The massive depreciation that all new vehicles suffer within their first two to three years (especially any high-end niche sedan) makes purchasing them new fiscally irresponsible regardless of your net worth. That said, one must learn to choose any used car very wisely and only after sufficient research. Take your time and do your homework. Obtaining the service/maintenance/repair history is Task No. 1 in the process. Make your final decision using your head, not your heart. Keep your emotions completely out of the transaction and remember, there is always a better deal out there....
I am in agreement with everything you said related to the financial aspect of owning a used car rather than a new one, you are spot on. I have to differ when it comes to keeping your emotions completely out of the transaction. You still have to look at the car in your garage or driveway, you experience the interior, the ride, handling, power, etc... (you get my point) so at least for me, I have to be able to look at the car and get a good feeling and when I park it somewhere I usually look back just to enjoy the view of that beautiful Jaguar sitting there waiting for me to return. For some this might be a bunch of mush but I will bet there are plenty of people who know exactly what I am talking about.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

I know exactly what you are talking about. Much of the appeal of both of our Jaguars to us was (and continues to be) their gorgeous lines. But I'm driven by economics (that's just how I'm wired with a masters degree in economics and a minor in statistics) and if I cannot obtain the deal that my research and fiscal calculations tell me I need to get in order to to justify acquisition and long-term ownership, I walk away. I admit that I have broken my wife's heart several times when I have chosen to walk away from vehicles she wanted due to not being able to obtain the deal my head has predetermined that I need. But in the long run I have managed to make her happy again with better deals on better-maintained vehicles. That was the case with her current 2006 XK8. I rejected the first two she wanted because they were not up to my standards and I could not quite drive the price down to where it needed to be for me to be willing to pull the trigger on them. She cried like a baby on the first one and was not quite as upset on the second one. The third one proved to be the charm and she still loves this XK8 every bit as much as she did when it was delivered to our driveway on February 3rd, 2012. Yet another example of the old adage that there is always a better deal out there if you work hard enough to find it....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-06-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I knew there was some old fashioned emotion in your automotive choices, after all you have both the S Type and XK8 as examples. I agree that the choice of vehicle will have some a good dose of desire in it but the actual purchase still has to be for a car that makes sense financially and meet standards for condition and care.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:40 PM