S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window problem

Hi all, I have a 2006 2.7 diesel S Type, when I turn my lights off the passenger door window opens. If I set the stalk to Auto it is OK. Any idears?

Old 01-19-2017, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

The stalk switch, aka MFS (officially, Multi-Function, but substitutions for the first two letters' meaning are gaining ground in my world) is known to fail, but your symptoms are certainly novel! Don't know if it is your MFS or not...I'd suggest a thorough review of the electrical diagrams (available for free download here in the forum - although we don't have the diesel on this side of the pond, so never having searched, I'm assuming everything is available for them)

I currently have a failing MFS on the 2003 and it manifests as flashing the lights randomly if left in "Auto" with car parked, locked, and key FOB safely away from it and not being handled, as well as when driving, in "On" not auto, it will randomly turn the dipped beams off on you...fiddle with the stalk and they may come back on. Have not noticed this behavior in auto, though that is not to say it isn't present. I have a New-in-Box replacement but haven't yet had the time to fit it. Don't see much about it in the JTIS, but it does describe clock-spring removal. However, there is a great clock-spring how-to here in the stickies with pics. Near as I can work out, you have to remove the clock-spring to R&R the MFS.

Last edited by aholbro1; 01-19-2017 at 07:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
scoffy (01-20-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Near as I can work out, you have to remove the clock-spring to R&R the MFS.
A faulty assumption on my part. I fit the new switch yesterday and you don't have to wade very deeply into the clockspring how-to atall to accomplish it:

Remove the lower steering column cover and the screws from the upper column cover and you achieve sufficient clearance to unplug the MFS connector and squeeze the locking tabs permitting removal.