S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecoboost TT 3.5L swap into STR? What's needed? (seriously)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ecoboost TT 3.5L swap into STR? What's needed? (seriously)

I have a 2003 S Type R, and I'm seriously considering doing this swap. I did a little searching but didn't come up with much, so far. Has anybody done this yet? What would be needed? (If you think it's not worth it, please SPECIFY why. No NAY sayers please). Your advice is appreciated!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Why would you even consider it?

The electronics/computers will be a HUGE (*) challenge. If you don't know that then quit now. If you do know, how do you plan to cope?

(*) actually, bigger than that

I'm confident no-one has done it. I doubt anyone will.

See the thread about the guy putting an LSn (can't recall the n, 3?) engine into an S-Type...

Last edited by JagV8; 11-10-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Caliber427, ditto to jagv8. You'll be caught in the quagmire of fittment and electronic interface issues. The 03 STR's 400 chp @ 412 lb/ft torque 4.2 L s/c engine will pull a 3.5 L Ecoboosted STR backwards if both were chained together.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

This is terrible, this idea....

Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

You would be better off with a motor that doesn't have a lot of electronics involved. Granted you could do it, but it would take lots of time/monehy

Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Indeed, the only one's capable of doing a swap this extensive are the types who don't have to ask a forum what's needed.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Even if you did manage to do the swap how could your conscience let you throw away the infamous AJV8 that comes in the car! Not to mention in later years, when these cars are a lot more scarce and enthusiasts are trying to find them, the resale value of the ecoboost STR will be considerably less.

If its fuel economy your after, it might be cheaper to find a cheap little car that has a 1.3 liter engine and takes you from point A to B.

If its power you are after there are extensive mods that make this supercharged v8 a beast!

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

He might have a damaged engine and be wondering what he could fit.

The answer is another STR engine...

Old 11-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Jagv8 makes a point i.e. the OP may have a toasted motor. A comprehensive extended warranty covering up to 225k miles ($150/month) would have mitigated this. This week the warranty company agreed to pay for my 03 STR's ZF trans. and torque converter to be rebuilt, a $5k job. The same warranty recently paid for a new fuel pump (passenger side pump with built in fuel sending switch, $$$). Originally, I believed I could afford to pay for repairs, "go the distance", but changed strategy as forum members laid out their repair stories.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by aCapiz
If its fuel economy your after, it might be cheaper to find a cheap little car that has a 1.3 liter engine and takes you from point A to B.
For that, I would recommend a Chevy Metro LSI. 1.3 L 5-sp manual, 87 HP, 41 MPG consistently. Very low maintenance and fairly reliable. Still have mine.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:23 PM

I'm more than skilled to do the job. This wouldn't be my first engine swap. I'm just looking for SPECIFIC information on what's necessary. Only then, will I make an INFORMED decision as to whether I will pursue the swap, or not. (BTW, I wasn't planing on using a stock ecoboost)

Your replies are very disappointing. I'm a long-time member of several LSX forums, and I can tell you that morale here is very pessimistic, in comparison. Perhaps, because many of those who replied don't actually turn wrenches on their own cars...?

(Just keep in mind that the more uninformed you are, the more daunting a project appears)

Originally Posted by GT42R
Indeed, the only one's capable of doing a swap this extensive are the types who don't have to ask a forum what's needed.
Why re-invent the wheel? I could spend the time comparing both cars to find out what needs to be done, but why would I if someone already has the answers?

I'm only looking for SPECIFICS. I don't need you to talk me down from taking the plunge...

Regards

ronbros (12-22-2014)
Old 11-10-2012, 04:31 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is that someone with a base model (non supercharged) S type may have, or may want to, tackle(d) this swap.

One of my favorite quotations:

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” -Albert Einstein

ronbros (12-22-2014)
Old 11-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,217 Likes on 1,754 Posts

Wrong!

You are attempting something that makes no sense and you want us to agree with you.

This is not a Chevy and there is little to no aftermarket to make anything work. And your already too late. It's been done and posted on this forum if you search.

It was a mess of a car. Engine and tranny completely unrelated to the rest of the car. He had a switch to go from A/C to heat. No temperature control. Either full heat or full A/C. Gauges patched in because nothing in the dash worked. Yea that's why I purchased a jag so I could install a Chevy engine.

It's not about your skills its about why?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Wrong!

You are attempting something that makes no sense and you want us to agree with you.

This is not a Chevy and there is little to no aftermarket to make anything work. And your already too late. It's been done and posted on this forum if you search.

It was a mess of a car. Engine and tranny completely unrelated to the rest of the car. He had a switch to go from A/C to heat. No temperature control. Either full heat or full A/C. Gauges patched in because nothing in the dash worked. Yea that's why I purchased a jag so I could install a Chevy engine.

I don't care whether you agree with the idea. I did not ask your opinion of whether I should, or shouldn't do it.

Please don't hijack my thread. I would not do that to you.

Please reply only if you have something constructive to add. Thank you.

ronbros (12-22-2014)
Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Veteran member

Well no one has cracked the ECU so good luck there, then you have the miles of wiring/fiber optic cables to deal with. Just not a well thought out swap. There are plenty of easier cars to swap, plus why an ecoboost? If you want a v6 with a turbo how about building up a 3.0 and turboing it, wouldn't that make more sense?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Wrong!

Yea that's why I purchased a jag so I could install a Chevy engine.

Who said anything about a Chevy engine? Read the title. An Ecoboost is a Ford engine, much like the Ford engine that came in the Jag.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, if you so approve of Einstein's quote, why don't you take the initiative with this challenge and educate us all. You would be of immeasurable value to anyone else attempting such a Herculean task. You could be the oracle for all who follow in your path.

Not up to it? Hmm, maybe we aren't either.

Nice way to start off on the right foot by belittling the members of this board who do their own repairs, but don't have the tools, workspace, or time to commit to such projects as you are attempting.

You probably did not know this, but several members are active Jaguar repair technicians of high esteem. Many others are independent techs and mechanics. Still others are developers, inventors, and entrepreneurs who provide third-party products and services to the Jaguar community.

What can you contribute?

You ask for information, wanting SPECIFICS. For that, you would need to have someone who was fully experienced in engine exchanges of S Types AND wherever-the-hell you are pulling your Ecoboost from. What are the odds of that happening? And if you should find that person, how likely are they to just provide the advice gratis?

I understand the want to cut through the crap and get to the answers. For your situation, try contacting a shop that specializes in putting Detroit iron into Euro Cars. Oh, and expect shell out some cash just to get them to listen. And there might only be a few in the US.

The members of this forum are not at your beck and call. If you want help, do ask, but do so with courtesy and consideration. Realize that those who do reply may or may not provide the exact answer you seek, and that they are under no obligation to support your intentions.

This is not a cheerleading squad and we are not your therapist.

If you are unhappy with the reception you get here that is unfortunate. But your asinine retort has already blown our initial impression of you. You are going to have to do some damage control. If your pride is too strong to admit that you made a mistake and apologize, then perhaps it might be best that you find some other source of information as we would only be wasting your time.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:26 PM

No offence guys but I kinda agree with the op. All you guys are doing is telling him non-specifically why it can't be done. Trust me, everything can be done. I should know, I helped design these cars.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by MrDeBruce
No offence guys but I kinda agree with the op. All you guys are doing is telling him non-specifically why it can't be done. Trust me, everything can be done. I should know, I helped design these cars.
Then you should be able to give him lots of help? Why comment on what everyone else is saying without adding any help?

Seems like there are a couple of trolls here....

bfsgross (11-11-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by MrDeBruce
Thank you, for your exercise of rational thought.

Originally Posted by heima
On a regular basis, I freely share what I have learned with others, and I, respectfully, asked if someone here would be willing to do the same with me. If anyone was belittled, it was poor lil o' me...

I have no doubt that there are numerous skilled & knowledgeable members on this forum. I'd love to speak with them.

If you actually read my post, you'd see that the last thing I was looking for was a cheerleader or therapist. Ironically, most of the replies I received sounded as if they could have come from cheerleaders of the opposing team.

Btw, perhaps your car isn't as "Euro", as you think it is... Don't get me wrong, I love my STR, but I have no delusions about what it really is.... a fancy Ford. I'm happy with that. I was very sad when Ford sold Jaguar off.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost TT 3.5L swap into STR? What's needed? (seriously)